PDA

View Full Version : Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

victorskid
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Joannie has not yet "shut the door" on returning to competition and has some plans for assessing that possibility over the coming months.

Read more in the Winnipeg Free Press: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/other/rochette-pondering-return-to-olys-149967575.html

manhn
05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Skate Canada high performance director Mike Slipchuk plans to meet with Rochette sometime during the Stars tour to discuss her potential return to International Skating Union (ISU) competition. He wants to ensure she understands ISU Olympic eligibility requirements and Skate Canada's expectations before making her decision.

At least SC is doing something.

No talk about the team event, where Rochette would most likely get that second Olympic medal should she return to competitive figure skating.

Skate Talker
05-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I would so love to see more of Joannie's gorgeous skating, and she is certainly needed. However, I hope she will only come back if it is what she truly wants to do. She deserves to be able to do whatever will make her happiest and most fulfilled.

skatesindreams
05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I would so love to see more of Joannie's gorgeous skating, and she is certainly needed. However, I hope she will only come back if it is what she truly wants to do. She deserves to be able to do whatever will make her happiest and most fulfilled.

Amen to this!

skipaway
05-03-2012, 05:18 PM
So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.

Skate Talker
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
IMO that just doesn't apply here. However, if Joannie should return in time for the 2013 Worlds she would have a good chance of securing 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics - something that just wouldn't happen without her so aside from 2013 Worlds she wouldn't be taking anyone else's turn imo.

aliceanne
05-03-2012, 05:26 PM
So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.

Is Cynthia Phaneuf younger than Joannie? The younger ones can still get the second spot if they can rise to the occasion. I don't think an overabundance of top competitors is a problem for the Canadian ladies right now. It's more a question of whether the time and expense of training is worth it to Joannie. She seems pretty marketable as she is.

Cheylana
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Generally it kind of bugs me when veterans swoop in only for the Olympic season, grab a spot and immediately leave eligible skating again (a la Boitano, Witt, etc.). I know all is fair in sport, but it sort of grates anyway.

That said, none of the current Canadian ladies are getting it done, and I'd love to see Joannie compete again, so I'm willing to be a hypocrite and say DO IT JOANNIE! :cheer2:

IMO that just doesn't apply here. However, if Joannie should return in time for the 2013 Worlds she would have a good chance of securing 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics - something that just wouldn't happen without her so aside from 2013 Worlds she wouldn't be taking anyone else's turn imo.
All the better if she can help out Skate Canada at 2013 Worlds.

kirkbiggestfan
05-03-2012, 05:49 PM
She is so coming back, but she is so humble that she wants to lower expectations.

bmcg
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
It's tough to come back for a podium finish and I´m sure she knows that. I have no expectations of great results there. I don't usually like veterans returning but I don't see her getting a reputation bonus in Sochi. I think the team event for her could be fun and as Vancouver was bittersweet for her I wouldn´t begrudge her a fun Olympic experience. I think that makes me slightly hypocritical in my views but I just don't see her in the same light as other veterans returning, probably because of her back story and the fact she wouldn't be stealing a spot from any Canadian ladies ;)

PinkFeathers
05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Man, I love Joannie's skating. It would be great to see her out there. Not even because the Canadian team needs her right now, but because she is truly a beauty to watch.

peibeck
05-03-2012, 06:08 PM
If she is serious about coming back, I would hope she would return in the fall season, like Plushenko, and not wait until the Olympic year.

Rock2
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
So she said she doesn't plan to compete at 2013 worlds but will train 'intensely' this summer. My guess is no matter what we won't see her on the GP but I'll pray for a last minute decision to go to nationals and maybe we'll get lucky.

If I'm her I'm not just reviewing ISU eligibility rules, but I'm also negotiating terms to be selected to the Team Event. I assume this is her focus. Canada will likely only have one lady at Sochi and it will be the national champion, which may or may not be her. If I'm her I'd want some sort of assurance that I get the 2nd ladies spot in the team event so as not to waste my comeback. Something like "if I finish top 3 at nationals and score at least 150 points in a comp prior to Olympics you'll put me on".
That's the kind of conversation I expect will happen.

SpeedySucks
05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
If I were Joannie, I'd have taken a look at the current crop of senior ladies and believe that I could absolutely be competitive against this group. In fact, I'd think that at my 2009-10 level, I could have won Worlds in 2011 and 2012. Yes, there is a lot of talent coming into the senior ranks in the next 2 years, but there's no guarantee that all of those skaters will excel as seniors. I see no reason why she can't challenge for the podium if that's what she really wants.

Habs
05-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Is Cynthia Phaneuf younger than Joannie?

IIRC, Cynthia is two years younger than Joannie.