PDA

View Full Version : Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

kwanfan1818
10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Sorry, PeterG, the swimming analogy doesn't fly: he had to qualify for each individual event separately.

If figure skating were like swimming, the skaters/teams would qualify for the individual events, and the team events <relays> would be chosen by TPTB.

:P

Japanfan
10-05-2012, 06:44 AM
I must in a very small minority because I groan inwardly every time an Olympic come-back is announced. This is in part because the skaters who announce possible or certain come-backs for the Olympics often never get there, but get oodles and oodles of media attention.

And in part it is because I'm not crazy about the skaters currently making definite or possible come-backs: Weir, Lysacek, Yunah, Plush, and now Joannie. The idea that Yunah and Joannie might make the 2014 podium because none of the other ladies bring their A game would IMO mean that the ladies event was really sub-par.

But I agree that it would best for Joannie to come back in 2013 if she comes back at all. This would be best for her and best for Canada. Making a late come-back often doesn't work out, as was the case with Cohen.

OliviaPug
10-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I personally think comebacks are risky and, therefore, exciting. Of course they often don't work out, but that's what makes the few success stories that much more exciting. If the skater is good enough to make their national team, then so be it. And yay for them! And if they go further, double yay for them! That doesn't mean I don't feel badly for the skaters who have been training the entire Olympic cycle and just don't make it. But it is competition after all, and may the best skater win.

Joannie should try to quiet the "noise" around her and follow her heart.

O-

PeterG
10-05-2012, 09:40 PM
The idea that Yunah and Joannie might make the 2014 podium because none of the other ladies bring their A game would IMO mean that the ladies event was really sub-par.

Not necessarilly. It's entirely possible that all of the top 10 ladies will skate brilliantly, but if Joannie and Yu-Na skate really brilliantly, then they will deserve to be on the podium in place of the others.

Jammers
10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
I just really don't want to see some of these skaters that we've been watching for as long as 8 years and two Olympics competing in Sochi. Call me weird but i want to see the new girls fighting it out. The others have had their time.

rvi5
10-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Joannie is 2nd at the 2012 Medal winners open...

http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2012-2013/mwo/data0205.htm

Would this provide some insight into her readyness for competition?

Susan M
10-06-2012, 03:38 AM
If figure skating were like swimming, the skaters/teams would qualify for the individual events, and the team events <relays> would be chosen by TPTB.
I think the skating team event would work a lot better if they did follow the model of the swimming medley relay instead of the overpopulated gymnastics event.

Hold the team event last and let the teams and competitors be determined by how folks skated in the individual events. It would probably work best just to use the SP/SD for team qualifying. They could bring forward the SP scores and then just do free programs again for the team event. If they limited it to the top 5 or 6 teams, they could get the whole thing over with in one extra day. That way it wouldn't be necessary to hold half the individual medal events before the opening ceremonies. Totally hate that.

Susan M
10-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Joannie is 2nd at the 2012 Medal winners open...

http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2012-2013/mwo/data0205.htm

Would this provide some insight into her readiness for competition?
I think her jump schedule would tell us more than her overall placement against other retired skaters.

They actually have posted protocols for this event. Rochette's program had technical elements similar to a short program (with an extra 3T instead of a 2A).

Jumps: 3T-2T, 3S and 3T
Spins: level 1, level 2, level2
FW: Level 1
Spirals - Level 2

Looking at that, she would have a long way to go to be competitive at Worlds.

FantAsia
10-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Will we actually see protocols for this event?

http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2012-2013/mwo/data0205.pdf

Alex Forrest
10-06-2012, 04:03 AM
So I will plead ignorant. There is now a Team competition? Why shouldn't she join it? Hell, she's got the shoulders and arms to whip herself right into a team comp. I'd rather see Joannie muscle her way through a team comp than some nobody.

At this moment I could not tell you who is the current world gold medalist. Ten seconds later, nada. No JPN, no USA. Why wouldn't Joannie have a shot? Go for it, JR.

Was it Lepisto? Kostner? That Russian girl who skated to Marilyn Monroe?!?!? I know I could do an easy google search, but the fact that I'm not even sure who is WC is odd. Was it that Russian woman who is sooooo going to be surpassed this year? Whose lutz and flip are identical?

Susan M
10-06-2012, 06:01 AM
So I will plead ignorant. There is now a Team competition? Why shouldn't she join it? ... I'd rather see Joannie muscle her way through a team comp than some nobody.

There are probably other Canadian ladies who think they should go if she can't do more than 3S and 3T. Canadian ladies are not deep at this point, but there is a youngster up from juniors who would probaby be stronger than Rochette could be by next year. I don't know who their second lady would be - Lacoste?

BTW last year's World podium was 1. Kostner, 2. Leonova, 3. Suzuki.
(You're right, though, ladies event at present is kind of dull.)

kwanfan1818
10-06-2012, 09:51 AM
That's assuming that a Canadian Lady will make top 10 in London to earn two spots. Otherwise, if a Canadian Lady qualifies for the Olympics in London or at the Fall Olympic qualifier, the one Lady who makes the Olympic team in January 2014 will compete, by definition, in both the Team and the Individual events.

Iceman
10-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Didn't know Kimmie had competed here.

Really
10-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Wow...she skates in a pro event and doesn't do loop, flip and lutz, and people are writing her off?

:blah:

museksk8r
10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Wow...she skates in a pro event and doesn't do loop, flip and lutz, and people are writing her off?

:blah:

Jaded Nagasu fans are sooooooo :EVILLE::2faced:.