PDA

View Full Version : Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

AJ Skatefan
10-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Plus Joannie had/has excellent jump technique on all jumps, plus the only mistake she made was a step out on the flip at the beginning.

Plus didn't Joannie do more triples than Mirai?

Karpenko
10-03-2012, 01:47 AM
She really doesn't even need to be in optimal form to make another Olympic team at this point IMO, she's got nothing to lose either so I suspect she will be back. I've missed her powerful, effortless skating.

briancoogaert
10-03-2012, 01:30 PM
She really doesn't even need to be in optimal form to make another Olympic team at this point IMO, she's got nothing to lose either so I suspect she will be back. I've missed her powerful, effortless skating.
ITA.
It seems she doesn't want to finish 6th or 7th at the Olympics. But with the team competition, she is likely to have another Olympic medal if she makes the olympic team !

rvi5
10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
The article mentions Joannie has not lost much regarding her skating skills. If so, she would be likely to win the Canadian championship in January. If she does, it will be her 7th win. Joannie will have surpassed Jennifer Robinson for the most wins in modern history (currently she is tied with Jennifer at 6 wins).

antmanb
10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Like all of the comeback kids, I'll believe it when I see them on the ice. Sochi is 16 months away and she doesn't have a coach and hasn't resumed competition training.

Saying you've lost none of your technical skills, even if you can land those jumps in isolation in practice and the reality of doing an SP and LP with full technical content are very different places.

Does she automatically qualify for Canadian nationals this season?

If she was serious about returning the wheels should have been put in motion sooner than now, and she's not even saying she'll make a decision before January....when are Canadian nationals?

ioana
10-03-2012, 08:08 PM
If she was serious about returning the wheels should have been put in motion sooner than now, and she's not even saying she'll make a decision before January....when are Canadian nationals?

This season, January 13-20, 2013. I never got the impression she planned to be back this season. If she were to compete again, it would be only for 2014. And January should give her enough time to get ready if she does come back, IMO.
I only saw her skate live at Riverdance on ice, but the way she generates effortless speed and uses her edges is :swoon:-worthy. I'd be thrilled she she came back.

euterpe
10-03-2012, 10:47 PM
If Joannie doesn't want to skate singles at the Olympics, she'd better hope Osmond earns two places for Sochi at Worlds 2013.

Simone411
10-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Good for Joannie! That's awesome if she wishes to come back. More power to her! :respec: :cheer2: :40beers:

kwanfan1818
10-04-2012, 12:46 AM
If Joannie doesn't want to skate singles at the Olympics, she'd better hope Osmond earns two places for Sochi at Worlds 2013.
:confused:

The only way Rochette can compete in the team event but not singles is if Canada does not earn a spot for Ladies in Sochi either in London or at the Olympic qualifier. Otherwise, all competitors in the team event have to compete in their discipline.

It's possible for a country to have two skaters/teams and have only one compete in both phases of the team competition.

AxelAnnie
10-04-2012, 01:24 AM
So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.

Even of that were my thought about another skater.... Joanne gets a pass for anything she would ever want to do on any sheet of ice. her courage and grace at the last Olympics...... priceless

alilou
10-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Plus didn't Joannie do more triples than Mirai?
Joannie did 7 triples, level 4 spiral sequence, and 3 level 4 spins. Mirai did 6 triples, level 2 spiral sequence, and one level 3 and 2 level 4 spins. Even so Mirai still beat Joannie technically. Interestingly, even Laura Lepisto beat Mirai in the LP. I think Joannie was gifted a little maybe in PCS, and Mirai robbed a little, but I still think Joannie deserved her bronze medal.

johndockley92
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
ITA.
It seems she doesn't want to finish 6th or 7th at the Olympics. But with the team competition, she is likely to have another Olympic medal if she makes the olympic team !

Still wish this competition didn't include skaters already competing in the individual events (IE separate athletes, like if Evan and Jeremy competed in men, then Johnny would be sent to compete in the team portion) so that more skaters could get the olympic experience and deeper countries would be rewarded.

manhn
10-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I have no idea why you think, say, the US pair team #3 should get an Olympic medal but not the US pair teams #1 and #2.

leafygreens
10-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Still wish this competition didn't include skaters already competing in the individual events (IE separate athletes, like if Evan and Jeremy competed in men, then Johnny would be sent to compete in the team portion) so that more skaters could get the olympic experience and deeper countries would be rewarded.

I look at it more as, the same skater gets two chances for a medal, like competing in all-around and team events. There wouldn't be different people on the team that weren't in the all-around.

PeterG
10-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I look at it more as, the same skater gets two chances for a medal, like competing in all-around and team events. There wouldn't be different people on the team that weren't in the all-around.

I agree. Like when Michael Phelps won his first Olympic medal, he should have dropped out of all other events so that the following medals could be shared more evenly.

:P