PDA

View Full Version : American Idol May 2 - songs of the 60s

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

victoriaheidi
05-05-2012, 07:39 AM
This. I always thought that he was a regular guy who liked to make music. I have never found him to be smug. He didn't perform as well this past week, and looked tired to me. Poor song choices didn't help either. Where in the heck did they come from? The judges are dufuses (if this a word) and really don't give honest feedback, when it is needed the most. When was the last time Joshua was given any critical feedback? It isn't Phillip's fault, if he isn't receiving the needed feedback.

Yeah, I don't feel like anyone in the top 4 has received the appropriate feedback.

I love P2 because he seems really committed to music. Does he have the best voice? No, but he's always being himself and I feel like he puts a lot of work into fighting every week to go the Phillip way, not the [insert producer or other influencer's name here] way. Plus, he is ill--I applauded him for coming back as fast as he did, even though it shocked me--and they're all exhausted. Win or lose, dude's gonna need a serious nap when this is all over.

skatesindreams
05-05-2012, 04:47 PM
There won't be any rest for P2 - or anyone - for quite a while because of contracts and the tour.

victoriaheidi
05-05-2012, 05:02 PM
There won't be any rest for P2 - or anyone - for quite a while because of contracts and the tour.

Which is really unfortunate in his case.

Marilou
05-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I don't feel like anyone in the top 4 has received the appropriate feedback.

I love P2 because he seems really committed to music. Does he have the best voice? No, but he's always being himself and I feel like he puts a lot of work into fighting every week to go the Phillip way, not the [insert producer or other influencer's name here] way. Plus, he is ill--I applauded him for coming back as fast as he did, even though it shocked me--and they're all exhausted. Win or lose, dude's gonna need a serious nap when this is all over.

Completely agree. P2 is about the music. Whether you like what he does or not, he is an artist and knows exactly who he is and what he wants to be. Skylar and Elise were the only others this year who, imho, know who they are as performers.

Of the other three left, I think Joshua is the closest to knowing who he is, but still has a ways to go, but he is young. Jessica and Holly are also young and at this stage, it's still more about imitation than understanding.

skatesindreams
05-05-2012, 05:50 PM
P2 is about the music. Whether you like what he does or not, he is an artist and knows exactly who he is and what he wants to be.

That's why I prefer him to others, even though they may be better singers.

Smiley0884
05-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Completely agree. P2 is about the music. Whether you like what he does or not, he is an artist and knows exactly who he is and what he wants to be. Skylar and Elise were the only others this year who, imho, know who they are as performers.

Of the other three left, I think Joshua is the closest to knowing who he is, but still has a ways to go, but he is young. Jessica and Holly are also young and at this stage, it's still more about imitation than understanding.

:confused: If there's anyone who's doing imitating, it's Phil Phillips (though I agree Jessica does this as well) Hollie sings most of the songs "straight" but I don't think that's necessarily the same at "imitating". Sometimes you can put your own twist on a song, without completely changing (and in some cases butchering) the arrangement.

IMHO Phil is not the arteeest that some make him out to be. I do think he's a good musician, but for me many of his efforts to "change it up" fall short. All he does is change songs to suit his DMB wannabe "style" and doesn't really take any risks. I loved his version of "You got it bad" and I think he's on the right track, but he's not in the same league as Bo Bice, Kris Allen, Chris Daughtry, and David Cook.

I don't really get the "smug" comments though. He seems pretty down to earth, and grateful for the opportunity to be on Idol. If anything he just looks exhausted from having to deal with health issues.

jenny12
05-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Like when Simon called out Lee on his weaknesses? Simon frequently was insulting, but he certainly wasn't always honest or correct. .

Yeah, Simon always seem to have obvious favorites and would exempt them from criticism while being unfairly harsh to others. The Lee thing was hilarious as to how biased he was.

skatesindreams
05-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Smiley, the only one of the group you mentioned that seems to receive much notice is Chris Daughtry.
Being a singer with a POV doesn't usually lead to commercial success.

BigB08822
05-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Smiley, the only one of the group you mentioned that seems to receive much notice is Chris Daughtry.
Being an singer with a POV doesn't usually lead to commercial success.

I agree. The labels want robots. Hell, you don't even have to be able to sing because there is technology to take care of that. If you are an artist with a vision, best of luck to you. A few make it through but most are left on the sidelines.

Allskate
05-06-2012, 10:11 PM

Being a singier without a POV also doesn't usually lead to commercial success. The reality is that most singers, including contestants on AI, do not obtain the kind of big commmerical success that Kelly and Carrie, or even Daughtry, have.

For some of the AI contestants, though, Idol does allow them to make a living doing what they love, whether its Crystal who is now recording and performing her own material and supporting her child without having to play on the subway, or Diana DeGarmo, who has made a career for herself in musicial theatre. I doubt that Phillip will have a lot of commercial success, but he may be able to stop working in his father's pawn shop and support himself with music.

ETA: And Phillip's studio recording of Time of the Season is an exampe of what studio technologhy can do for someone. The tone is still very much him, but they have taken care of the range/pitch problems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1j0ADUmjVM

When I was listening to this, I could have sworn I heard Julianne Hough say "yummy."

skatesindreams
05-07-2012, 12:17 AM
For some of the AI contestants, though, Idol does allow them to make a living doing what they love, whether its Crystal who is now recording and performing her own material and supporting her child without having to play on the subway, or Diana DeGarmo, who has made a career for herself in musicial theatre. I doubt that Phillip will have a lot of commercial success, but he may be able to stop working in his father's pawn shop and support himself with music.

I agree with all of this,
I think that Phillip would be very pleased if he can do that.

The recognition and "jumpstart" he will get as a result of AI will be a "bonus" and make his path easier.

Smiley0884
05-07-2012, 04:07 AM

I didn't imply any of singers I mentioned had great commercial success, just that they were further along as artists/musicians/vocalists when they competed on idol compared to Phillip.

I do agree that idol is a great platform for many of the contestants to make a living in the entertainment industry. While most of them wouldn't mind being a "superstar" I think as long as they can make a living singing/acting/modeling/entertaining they would be content.

shan
05-07-2012, 05:28 AM
This week's Idology (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1dJnvjPhLY)

I have to agree with the assessment of Phillip this week. (It begins around 1:48.)