PDA

View Full Version : American Idol May 2 - songs of the 60s

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

Meredith
05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I was out tonight & haven't watched my tape. How did P2 look when he was declared safe? I'll bet that smug look was on his face.

I thought he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Aceon6
05-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I thought he just looked tired.

Agree, I think he's been over the show for a while, just as Casey was last year. PP doesn't really have anyone to hang out with, and I think he'd rather have a few weeks off.

birdgal
05-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Agree, I think he's been over the show for a while, just as Casey was last year. PP doesn't really have anyone to hang out with, and I think he'd rather have a few weeks off.

He has also been ill, fighting kidney problems. That must be exhausting in itself, much less with the type of schedule that they have. He looked tired to me, too.

taf2002
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
It's not his fault, well not entirely his fault, but this situation is making me start to dislike him. Things like "does your daddy let you date" gets him votes that have nothing to do with his singing but what really gets me is all the votes he gets for being cute. If I thought he would sell music if he won it wouldn't be so bad but all the little girls will forget about him within a year. For him to not even be in the bottom after two horrible performances Wednesday is a travesty. IMO Skylar also did poorly but P2 should have definitely been standing next to her.

skatesindreams
05-04-2012, 02:51 PM
He has also been ill, fighting kidney problems. That must be exhausting in itself, much less with the type of schedule that they have. He looked tired to me, too.

He doesn't make excuses because of his heath; but, it must be wearing him out physically and emotionally.

Tesla
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, if he (theoretically) is over the competition, why doesn't he just bow out? Are the contestants not allowed to do that?

skatesindreams
05-04-2012, 03:21 PM
They sign a contract with the production company when they reach a certain level on the show. (top 24?)
How long they are obligated for, I'm not sure.

P2 has done a pretty good job of resisting the efforts of the "AI machine" to turn him into a singer he doesn't want to be.
He's still at the mercy of the playlist given him; and the whims of the producers, though.

AxelAnnie
05-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I always thought Kellie Pickler was just plain ready to go home when she had that horrid performance the week she went home (IIRC - the week before that was awful too).

P2 has a problem with Kidney Stones. I would think the stones couldbe controlled. Not to downplay the pain, which can be horrific. But it is certainly an ongoing problem for him. So, he would need a good refund policy for any concert he will billed to play.:slinkaway

Rob
05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Watched the tape:

My rank:
Josh
Jessica
Skylar/Hollie tie
P2

I didn't like Hollie's River Deep Mountain High at all - she didn't sound bad, but it had no soul. I liked her Leona Lewis though. I thought the range of that song would have been better for Jessica, but Hollie adjusted it and pulled it off.

I didn't really like Skylar's Dusty Springfield. My friend hated Fortunate Son because she couldn't understand a word she sang (and you can understand Creedence I asked).

Jessica's second song was very well done - her first, well, sung well, but she just has no inner Tina Turner. The girl trio was ok.

Loved both of Josh's solos. The duet with P2 was sung pretty well, but they looked so uncomfortable.

P2 - didn't mind The Letter but yikes the second song was absolutely painful to the ear. I like him, but that was his worst performance. He is going to win, isn't he.

Catherine M
05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
P2 - didn't mind The Letter but yikes the second song was absolutely painful to the ear. I like him, but that was his worst performance. He is going to win, isn't he.

White guy--check
plays guitar--check
cute--debatable but alot think he is
able to sing--not important point for the massive fanbase he has

So there you go, WGWG #5 winner. Unless Phillip is Daughtry'ed this upcoming week!

puglover
05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I thought the judges were way too kind to Philip with their comments this week. He really struggled with his second song. Now is when I think they need a Simon to call it as he sees it. I think these judges have taken so much pride in all of the talent they found - they are just not objective at all. Now even if they did start really pointing out problems - they have lost all credibility. So we could very well have a Philip win. JMHO.

taf2002
05-05-2012, 02:09 AM
White guy--check
plays guitar--check
cute--debatable but alot think he is
able to sing--not important point for the massive fanbase he has

So there you go, WGWG #5 winner. Unless Phillip is Daughtry'ed this upcoming week!

I really don't want Phillip to reach top 3 & get a homecoming at which he will be oh so blase & too too above it all.

Allskate
05-05-2012, 04:00 AM
I thought the judges were way too kind to Philip with their comments this week. He really struggled with his second song. Now is when I think they need a Simon to call it as he sees it.

Like when Simon called out Lee on his weaknesses? Simon frequently was insulting, but he certainly wasn't always honest or correct.

It's unfortunate that the judges aren't being honest in their criticism, but that's not new and not limited to Phillip.

I didn't see last night's show, but I've never seen Phillip looking smug and he seems to give others credit for how well they sing.

I don't think it's Phillip's fault that he's sick. I also don't feel like it's his fault that some people vote for him based on his looks. (I did think it was weird, though, when Ryan told everyone that Julianne had called him "yummy." But that's a reflection on Ryan and/or Julianne, not Phillip).

It's tempting to blame Phillip for the results, but getting mad at him just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I have the sense that he's a regular guy trying to make a career out of doing what he loves, and doing his best while dealing with being sick. His poor performance this week might have been due to being tired and sick, but I do think part of the problem was wrong song choices (what an idiotic duet) and possibly earpiece problems.

birdgal
05-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Like when Simon called out Lee on his weaknesses? Simon frequently was insulting, but he certainly wasn't always honest or correct.

It's unfortunate that the judges aren't being honest in their criticism, but that's not new and not limited to Phillip.

I didn't see last night's show, but I've never seen Phillip looking smug and he seems to give others credit for how well they sing.

I don't think it's Phillip's fault that he's sick. I also don't feel like it's his fault that some people vote for him based on his looks. (I did think it was weird, though, when Ryan told everyone that Julianne had called him "yummy." But that's a reflection on Ryan and/or Julianne, not Phillip).

It's tempting to blame Phillip for the results, but getting mad at him just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I have the sense that he's a regular guy trying to make a career out of doing what he loves, and doing his best while dealing with being sick. His poor performance this week might have been due to being tired and sick, but I do think part of the problem was wrong song choices (what an idiotic duet) and possibly earpiece problems.

This. I always thought that he was a regular guy who liked to make music. I have never found him to be smug. He didn't perform as well this past week, and looked tired to me. Poor song choices didn't help either. Where in the heck did they come from? The judges are dufuses (if this a word) and really don't give honest feedback, when it is needed the most. When was the last time Joshua was given any critical feedback? It isn't Phillip's fault, if he isn't receiving the needed feedback.

fenway2
05-05-2012, 07:17 AM
P2 is my least favorite contestant this season but I find nothing remotely smug about him. Sometimes people see what they want to see.