PDA

View Full Version : ISO Suggestions for buying a new camera

BYTCH
05-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I want a simple camera in the $200-$400 range, for snapshots. I have a very tired little Canon digital pocket camera that has a zillion features--useless settings, like one for filming an aquarium--but I have never been happy with the quality of the pictures. The owner's manual is illegible, I finally found instructions on line that allowed me to break the code on HTF the thing works, but I want to replace it before a niece's wedding in 4 weeks.

Before this one, I had a Nikon Cool Pix that took nice pix, but it stopped working in less than a year. Before that I took great pix with a Pentax. Since I always got good results with the Nikon and the Pentax, and also with the Olympus SLR system I used, I really fault the Canon. Either the instructions are convoluted that I can't figure out how to use it properly; or, the camera doesn't have a fast lens or some other properties that would produce nice snapshots.

Can anyone suggest a relatively simple camera I could buy--one with easy, intuitive instructions, that produces sharp, clear, bright photos?

Thanks much for any and all suggestions.

luna_skater
05-03-2012, 12:39 AM
I want a simple camera in the $200-$400 range, for snapshots. I have a very tired little Canon digital pocket camera that has a zillion features--useless settings, like one for filming an aquarium--but I have never been happy with the quality of the pictures. The owner's manual is illegible, I finally found instructions on line that allowed me to break the code on HTF the thing works, but I want to replace it before a niece's wedding in 4 weeks.

Before this one, I had a Nikon Cool Pix that took nice pix, but it stopped working in less than a year. Before that I took great pix with a Pentax. Since I always got good results with the Nikon and the Pentax, and also with the Olympus SLR system I used, I really fault the Canon. Either the instructions are convoluted that I can't figure out how to use it properly; or, the camera doesn't have a fast lens or some other properties that would produce nice snapshots.

Can anyone suggest a relatively simple camera I could buy--one with easy, intuitive instructions, that produces sharp, clear, bright photos?

Thanks much for any and all suggestions.

It's hard to narrow down the camera field since there are hundreds, if not thousands of models out there. Ease of UX has a lot to do with preference. I know some people who finds Canon's UX very intuitive and Nikon convoluted, and others who feel the exact opposite way. I know professional photogs who shoot both. Personally, I find Nikon more intuitive than Canon.

Two brands you didn't mention make point-and-shoots I've been happy with: Fuji and Kodak. I have a Fuji p&s that does a decent job in low light, though could be better. I also had a Kodak Easy Share years ago that was on the bulky side, but had some manual features, and a *gorgeous* Zeiss lens, which I still find surprising to this day.

You mentioned ISO in the title, but didn't go on to elaborate on your needs there. A wide ISO range is going to give you more to work with, but the overall quality of the camera is still paramount. I'm continually surprised at how little noise there is when I shoot at a high ISO on my Nikon D300; conversely, I've heard the comparable Canon body is noisier.

If there's a camera store in your area (one that specializes in cameras: not a Future Shop or some other), they'll be able to give you the best advice. I'm currently shopping for a camera for my mom that meets the following requirements: has aperture priority functionality, rechargable lithium ion battery (or similar), and takes video. That's hard to narrow down online, so I'm planning to go to my local camera store to get some help finding models within those parameters (and my price range).

Prancer
05-03-2012, 02:44 AM
I think (but am not sure) that when BYTCH said "ISO," she meant "In search of." :)

Jot the Dot Dot
05-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Meanwhile back at the camera store....

"Good evening sir, how may we help you?"

"Well, I wish to purchase a 35mm rangefinder"

"Certainly! And what brand would you like?"

"Leica"

?"Okay, have it your way; What brand would you like-a?"

"Leica!"

"Like-a what?"

"Leica camera!"

"I know you'ld like a camera, but what brand?"

:mad: "Leica brand!"

:confused: "Like what brand?"

(even more) :mad: "I WANNA LEICA RANGEFINDER!"

"I see, you want something like a rangefinder, but not exactly".

pat c
05-03-2012, 03:34 AM
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/index.html

I got a panasonic lumix (can't remember the model #) about 4 years ago and have really liked it. I also have another camera, but you can't beat the lumix for toughness. My sil got one a couple of years ago just to carry in her pocket and she really likes hers as well.

It cost me about $200.00. They take pretty clear pictures, nice zoom and it's easy to figure out how to use.

You'd be able to look at one at any electronics store/drugstore.

Good luck, in whatever you find.

allezfred
05-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I second the Panasonic Lumix suggestion. I just got one as I wanted a compact camera so I don't have to lug my big DSLR around with me and it's very simple to use.

KatieC
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I'll third the Panasonic Lumix - I got it after reading several reviews here. Just back from a trip and very pleased with the quality of my pictures. Especially since I had taken a couple of extra cameras with me as gifts - less expensive Kodak Easy Share or something like that. The difference in quality is noticeable.