PDA

View Full Version : Mom takes 5 yr old to Tanning salon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

numbers123
05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
From the burn management manual:

SUPERFICIAL SECOND DEGREE (PARTIAL THICKNESS BURN)

This depth of burn is at low risk for infection unless grossly contaminated. Initial cleansing should include removal of dirt, broken blisters and dead epidermis. Large blisters can be debrided off if using a temporary skin substitute or left intact for a few days. Often blisters get larger with time and impede movement at which time they should be removed. Topical antibiotics are not needed, especially cream based agents such as silver sulfadiazine as these agents impede healing and are only used if infection risk is high.

Definition: Second-degree burns are defined as those burns in which the entire epidermis and variable portions of the dermis layer are heat destroyed. A superficial second-degree (partial thickness) burn is characterized by heat injury to the upper third of the dermis leaving a good blood supply.

Appearance: The micro vessels perfusing this area are injured resulting in the leakage of large amounts of plasma, which in turn lifts off the heat-destroyed epidermis, causing blister formation. The blisters will continue to increase in size in the post-burn period as well and protein breakdown occurs. A light pink, wet appearing very painful wound is seen as blisters are disrupted. Frequently, the epidermis does not lift off the dermis for 12 to 24 hours and what appears initially to be a first degree is actually a second degree burn.

Outcome:
Healing Rate: Despite loss of the entire basal layer of the epidermis, a burn of this depth will heal in seven to fourteen days if non-infected due to repopulation of the epithelial cells that are also present in skin appendages, anchored deep in the dermis. Minimal to no scarring is expected to occur. There is a relatively small zone of injury and conversion is uncommon except at extreme of age or chronically ill. Most antibiotic creams will slow the healing rate.
Treatment:
1. Clean, remove small blisters; apply grease gauze and soft gauze dressing (occlusion, absorbent dressing, changed daily).
2. On face, perineum, apply bacitracin or neomycin ointment, applying several times a day.
3. Excellent alternative is the use of a synthetic adhesive dressing which seals the wound and decreases pain.
4. Use a water-soluble topical antibiotic if the wound is grossly contaminated or if one is unsure if the wound is superficial or deep.
5. Prophylactic systemic antibiotics are not needed.
Bold is my emphasis. Even if the second degree burns happened mid-April I suspect that one or more person(s) would have been reporting blisters, weeping areas.
I think that the mom and the tanning salon are guilty of poor judgement, but probably hard to prove anything else without photo documentation or written documentation of "burns".

Jenny
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
While I agree that Krentcil's appearance has definitely caused much more reaction than likely would have been if her complexion was less extreme, perhaps it was her prior criminal record (http://www.northjersey.com/news/150069145_Nutley_tanning_mom_was_on_probation.html ) which caused the police to charge her so quickly (and with seemingly not much evidence other than the nurse's report -- and her daughter's ambiguous statement that she "went tanning with Mommy.") She had an outstanding warrant for failure to show up for a probation hearing back in 2001.

In this article, it says that according to the police report, it was first degree burns:

Last week, Krentcil was charged with child endangerment for "taking her 5-year-old daughter in a stand-up tanning booth, causing first-degree burns on her body," according to Nutley police records. The incident allegedly occurred April 17.

loulou
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
This makes no sense. Tanning is legal, and meth is not. The two are not comparable. One is a very destructive substance which causes collateral damage such as burglary to obtain funds for more of the drug, and the violent behaivor the drug can cause, while the other causes no collateral damage unless you are bemoanning all those sunbathers taxing the health system with their melanoma.

You wrote:

Tanning Mom is freakish, but it's her melanoma.

Like it concerns nobody else. Go tell the that to little kid who'll grow mother-less, and the husband who'll have to take on his shoulders an insane amount of crap, if his wife gets sick. And scenarios like that are a drain on society.
We worry that the child doesn't lie on the tanning bed, and we don't get to worry about the hell her house will turn into if her mum gets melanoma?

I understand meth and tanning are not comparable as for the amplitude of their risks and drains on society. But I think it's a government responsability to teach and encourage healthy behaviours.

If that's the case, let's all stop driving cars, because the accidents that tax the healthcare system

We have street codes so that we don't hurt others and ourselves. But why do we have to wear seat belts for our own protection only, if, as you say, there's no collateral damage?

I can't speak to corruption in Italy. I can only speak to the fact that Italian Americans are rarely Mafia.

Twice in a row: you write Italians, meaning Italian Americans, and I don't get what you aim for. Sorry.

Whatever is going on in Italy, now, is not really Mafia, it is political corruption. The Mafia began in Sicily.

That was the seventeenth century. Mafia is now wearing a suit and signing business deals to get countries out of the economy crisis, in exchange for their souls (and, in a short time, everything they own and signed the deal to keep). Modern Faust.

The Mafia started as a form of protection from that persecution. When Italians started immigrating to the US, it was mostly Southern Italians. They left to find a better life. Many, in the Mafia, came here. When they did, they offered "protection". They also offered "job opportunities". But, as Italians assimilated into US society, the need for the Mafia lessened.

The most recent supreme court sentence on Berlusconi said he carried peer to peer deals with mafia for years, in exchange for business opportunities and protection for his own family.
Which Italians knew from the 1990s, when they started wanting him to run their country.

Protection and job opportunities have been a need that pushed people to support mafia in the south of Italy until these very days. With this economy, the north is now going in the same direction.

We're not talking a hundred year old, here.

I agree with you, as Italian Americans assimilated into US society, mafia faded there: there was a politic willing to fight it and put it down.

I realize that there are very serious problems with corruption in Italy. and those problems need to be addressed. But, Italians are much more than that.

Corruption and tax evasion are the biggest cracks throu which mafia passes, they're strictly related phenomenons. And that's why if 99% of the population was honest and had nothing to do with crime, mafia would have been long dead by now.

As for Italians being much more: mafia is a cultural code. I'm afraid there's a good chance the inventor of Universities lost their way while leaving it too much room. It's not my word, it's what international indexes say.

cruisin
05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
^^ Because we don't want to live in a nanny state. What is wrong with people, that they cannot take responsibility for themselves. why should the government be allowed to dictate everything that we should/should not do? The vast majority of people who go to tanning salons, do so responsibly. No one uses meth responsibly.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
There's an action figure of the mom now:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/jersey-tanning-mom-inspires-action-figure-182150456.html

Southpaw
05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
See, this is what's wrong with America. This chick from Nutley gets an action figure and I don't. Where's the Southpaw action figure?? Where's the justice?????

milanessa
05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Oops - double post.

milanessa
05-08-2012, 09:58 PM
See, this is what's wrong with America. This chick from Nutley gets an action figure and I don't. Where's the Southpaw action figure?? Where's the justice?????

Ya gotta sell it, darlin'. Hawk it. Hype it. Show it. They aren't going to come find you. What's your gimmick? Dark tan is already taken.

skatingfan5
05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
See, this is what's wrong with America. This chick from Nutley gets an action figure and I don't. Where's the Southpaw action figure?? Where's the justice?????You can have an Action Girl figure custom made by HeroBuilders (http://www.herobuilders.com/customactionfigures/herobuilders-actiongirl.htm), the company that came up with the Tanorexic Mom one. The basic models do look a bit freaky, imo, but I'm sure if you put one in just the right little cute polyester schmatta, she could look a lot nicer. ;)

heckles
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/jersey-tanning-mom-inspires-action-figure-182150456.html

Bad representation. The doll is somewhat attractive.

loulou
05-08-2012, 11:29 PM

Do you think she'll think we're all envious about her good looking, orange action figure?

AliasJohnDoe
05-14-2012, 11:56 PM
This gave me my laugh for the week. :rofl:

"Playboy" doesn't want Tanning Mom:
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/05/tanning-mom-playboy-doesnt-want-patricia-krentcil----thank-goodness.html

cruisin
05-15-2012, 12:06 AM
A bill has resurfaced in NJ That would ban anyone below the age of 18 from tanning salons. This is a result of the "tanning mom" fiasco. the bill had been proposed a while back, but did not get much support. Now, it has passed 3-2 in the legislature. The law, as it now stands, states that anyone under 14 cannot tan. Anyone between the ages of 14 & 18 can, with written consent of the parent. Just what we need, the government getting more involved in making personal decisions.

Aussie Willy
05-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Ever since we had a couple of very high profile melanoma cases in Australia, the solarium industry has basically gone out of the business. You can still get spray on tans, but the opportunity to cook yourself to a crisp is much less.

I would have thought this person alone would provide perfect warnings against tanning. All you would have to do is run are ads showing this person and asking "Do you want to end up like this?"