PDA

View Full Version : Mom takes 5 yr old to Tanning salon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

cruisin
05-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I agree that the kid most likely wasn't in the actual tanning booth, but the original article has several statements that indicate that the girl was in the room surrounding the tanning booth.

That may be possible, the child could have been in the anteroom. But the child would not be effected by the actual tanning booth, there. I have gone tanning a few times, for instance before a vacation in the sun, so that I don't burn. I would not have brought my child to a tanning salon with me. But, if I did, i might have brought my child into the anteroom. The outside door locks and at least I would know the child wouldn't be running around a store, where anyone had access to her. Or she could just wander outside, and possibly get hurt.

Since when are second-degree burns "a little coloring"? Yes, children can lie, and adults like to use that as a cop-out. There are plenty of reasons for the mother and salon to lie in this case. What reason did the kid have to lie?

Second degree burns? Where in the world did you hear that? Totally untrue, she had a very mild sunburn.

FigureSpins
05-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Since when are second-degree burns "a little coloring"?
:confused:
The girl did not have "second-degree burns." You're mixing up the charge of "second-degree child endangerment" with the severity of the burns.

The articles state that girl had what "appeared to be a sunburn." A second-degree burn would entail blisters and very-reddened burned skin.

In burns, first-degree is more mild than second; in endangerment charges, first-degree is more severe than second.

Fan123
05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
^^ Why? The mother said from day one, that she had the child at the salon, but that she did not let her tan. There has been absolutely no support to any accusation that the child did tan. The child said she went tanning with mommy. That certainly does not mean the child went into the booth or on the bed. In stand up booths they have a changing area and the tanning area, they are separated by a door. Even if the child went into the booth, it does not mean that she was in the tanning part. Would it have been smarter to have not brought the child? Probably, but I do not believe the mother is lying about the kid. I think the mother has problems, she is body dysmorphic. But, that still doesn't mean she let her child tan.
Am I the only one here who thinks the mother did not do anything wrong? I'm reading many of the comments here, and it seems that we're judging the mother because of her looks (some making fun of her), and really not because of her action. For crying out loud, it's her skin and her body...and she's an adult.

PDilemma
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I would assume that charges were not filed against this woman based only on the child's brief conversation with the teacher. So perhaps everyone should wait and see what evidence is or is not presented in court.

heckles
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
:confused:
The girl did not have "second-degree burns." You're mixing up the charge of "second-degree child endangerment" with the severity of the burns.

Some of the news stories (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/03/patricia-krentcil-tanning-tanorexic_n_1473813.html) indicated that the child had second-degree burns. The school nurse visually saw the burns and spoke with the kid. Should the nurse have just ignored the situation?

cruisin
05-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks the mother did not do anything wrong? I'm reading many of the comments here, and it seems that we're judging the mother because of her looks (some making fun of her), and really not because of her action. For crying out loud, it's her skin and her body...and she's an adult.

:confused: Not sure why you selected my post. I have said from the beginning that I don't think the mother did what she's accused of doing.

As far as the mother - I do think she has body image problems. I do think that the amount of tanning she does is putting her at sever risk for skin cancer. But, you're right, it's her body. People smoke and do other things that are bad for them. I wonder - if an anorexic mom, who exercises excessively, brought a daughter to a gym, would she get this sort of attention? We can't arrest people for being poor role models.

Jenny
05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
We can't arrest people for being poor role models.

If anything, the attention all this is getting might underscore how not to behave for the daughter. I know lots of children whose parents had bad habits, and having grown up experiencing the consequences first hand, have the opposite behaviour as adults.

FigureSpins
05-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Some of the news stories (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/03/patricia-krentcil-tanning-tanorexic_n_1473813.html) indicated that the child had second-degree burns. The school nurse visually saw the burns and spoke with the kid. Should the nurse have just ignored the situation?
Oh, that explains it - I don't consider the "Huff Post Wierd News" to be a legit news outlet. The legit NY/NJ news sources have never said they were second-degree burns. The Huff Post links to a source that also doesn't make that statement. They probably made the same mistake you did, confusing the degree of charges with the degree of burns. Second-degree burns wouldn't have healed within three days, even in a child.

Am I the only one here who thinks the mother did not do anything wrong?
Regardless of the details of where the kid was while mom was toasting herself, I think both parents and the salon owner are lying at this point. In my book, that's doing something wrong, so yes, you're on your own in thinking she's totally innocent.

April in NJ is an atypical time to have warm weather and get a sunburn; any parent could overlook the need to put sunblock on their kid in April before going outside. Given her constant tanning, the mom probably didn't even feel how strong the sun was over that weekend.

Fan123
05-07-2012, 06:58 PM
:confused: Not sure why you selected my post. I have said from the beginning that I don't think the mother did what she's accused of doing.

As far as the mother - I do think she has body image problems. I do think that the amount of tanning she does is putting her at sever risk for skin cancer. But, you're right, it's her body. People smoke and do other things that are bad for them. I wonder - if an anorexic mom, who exercises excessively, brought a daughter to a gym, would she get this sort of attention? We can't arrest people for being poor role models.
Hey Cruisin. I actually was agreeing with you...and it seems we are in the minority here. :) I just don't understand why many of us are so quick to judge her, just simply cuz of the way she looks, making assumptions about her parenting skills, the way she talks...as if we really know her overall character. As for her seemingly overtanned skin, yes...it may look extreme to us, but it's her choice to look like that...who are we to judge her, right? Much to do about nothing.

heckles
05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't consider the "Huff Post Wierd News" to be a legit news outlet. The legit NY/NJ news sources have never said they were second-degree burns.

I'm glad that you don't consider a $315 million media outlet legit--I'm sure the one you manage is better-- but HuffPo was not the only source that reported the burns were second-degree.

Regardless, was the nurse wrong to report what she saw and heard?

skatingfan5
05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Kristen Wiig's take (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-patricia-krentcil/1400048) on NJ's "tanning mom" from last Saturday's SNL :lol:

Fan123
05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Regardless of the details of where the kid was while mom was toasting herself, I think both parents and the salon owner are lying at this point. In my book, that's doing something wrong, so yes, you're on your own in thinking she's totally innocent.
My point is that many of us are overreacting to the situation. If the mother is more "normal" looking, with less of an exaggerated dark tan, I would argue we would not have had the same reaction, whether she took her little girl to a tanning booth or not. We may have our own bias toward folks like her to have had made assumptions of her parenting skills, etc. I'm guilty of it too. When I first saw her on the 6 o'clock news, I was thinking she was a hot mess, and everyone at my hair and nail salon laughed at her, and was judging her more about her looks than anything else. If she has a habit of taking her daughter to the tanning salon, i would tend to be concerned, but for this one time...who really cares, imo. As for educating the public about the harm of tanning, etc...she shouldn't be the scapegoat.

skatingfan5
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
My point is that many of us are overreacting to the situation. If the mother is more "normal" looking, with less of an exaggerated dark tan, I would argue we would not have the same reaction, whether she took her little girl to a tanning booth or not. While I agree that Krentcil's appearance has definitely caused much more reaction than likely would have been if her complexion was less extreme, perhaps it was her prior criminal record (http://www.northjersey.com/news/150069145_Nutley_tanning_mom_was_on_probation.html ) which caused the police to charge her so quickly (and with seemingly not much evidence other than the nurse's report -- and her daughter's ambiguous statement that she "went tanning with Mommy.") She had an outstanding warrant for failure to show up for a probation hearing back in 2001.

cruisin
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm glad that you don't consider a $315 million media outlet legit--I'm sure the one you manage is better-- but HuffPo was not the only source that reported the burns were second-degree.

Regardless, was the nurse wrong to report what she saw and heard?

Just curious, do you consider the reporting on Fox News to always be legit? Any news outlet, for that matter. The more extreme media outlets are always going to make lots of money, they attract people who want to believe extremes.

Have you never heard of media outlets reporting incorrect "facts"? Why do you think so many celebrities sue these outlets?

They showed photos of the child on ABC GMA. The child had a pinkish glow. No way there were 1st or 2nd degree burns. FigureSpins explained (very clearly) what 2nd degree burns look like. That is not what the child had. And if the teacher claimed what she saw were 2nd degree burns, the teacher would be clueless. I do not believe, however, that the teacher did say that.

heckles
05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
FigureSpins explained (very clearly) what 2nd degree burns look like. That is not what the child had. And if the teacher claimed what she saw were 2nd degree burns, the teacher would be clueless. I do not believe, however, that the teacher did say that.

The incident allegedly happened in mid-April. We get to see the girl's face on GMA in May. Not impressed. Nice long-sleeve Christmas shirt (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mom-arrested-daughter-burned-tanning-bed-16260091) Mom has her wearing, though.

We don't know what the nurse saw, but almost anyone who has been to a tanning bed has a story about learning the hard way that the areas that generally aren't exposed in public are the areas that burn the fastest in a tanning bed.