PDA

View Full Version : The2012 Tony Nominations are up. Here is the link.

Pages : [1] 2

essence_of_soy
05-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Here is the link. (http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/nominees/index.html?utm_source=The+Broadway+Fan+Club&utm_campaign=a3c6cc7ae3-Tony_Nominations&utm_medium=email)

Spareoom
05-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Newsies sure got a lot of nominations; I guess that's really good for them!

And yay for Hugh Jackman getting a special Tony, lol. Love that guy.

Jayar
05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Once deserves every single one of those 11 nominations. If you can see the show, you should go. It's beautiful!

Yazmeen
05-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Even though she's getting a special award, a little "ouch" for Bernadette Peters being the only one of the 4 leads in Follies to not get nominated. However, having seen the show, while she was lovely, hers was the weakest performance of those 4 leads. So happy for Jan Maxwell, she was amazing.

Allen
05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Once deserves every single one of those 11 nominations. If you can see the show, you should go. It's beautiful!

I agree! Once was amazing.

I'm also excited for Jan Maxwell. She was great in Follies! This is her fifth Tony nomination, I believe, so I hope she can actually take the prize home.

oleada
05-01-2012, 05:28 PM

I'm dying to go see this. I've heard nothing but good things.

Newsies was really fun. I enjoyed it a lot so I'm glad to see it got recognition.

reckless
05-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Leap of Faith gets a Best Musical nod, but nothing else. :rofl: I'm hearing folks at the St. James are already running for cover, fearful of Raul Esparza's wrath.

I saw the show in LA and actually enjoyed it. From the description of the changes, it sounds like they actually made it worse when the overhauled it. It's a shame, because there are some good songs, the cast is excellent, and with some actual thought about the changes, the show could have been good. The producers rushed it to Broadway to take advantage of a weak field of musicals this year, but that was a huge mistake.

FYI, I still thought Esparza would get a nod. I'm not a big fan of his normally, but I thought he was great in the LA production.

Jayar
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I agree! Once was amazing.

I'm also excited for Jan Maxwell. She was great in Follies! This is her fifth Tony nomination, I believe, so I hope she can actually take the prize home.

She was great, but I'm on team Cristin Milioti.

Jayar
05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Leap of Faith gets a Best Musical nod, but nothing else. :rofl: I'm hearing folks at the St. James are already running for cover, fearful of Raul Esparza's wrath.

He's a douche, and not very talented. It occurred to me that this musical is probably where they got the idea for Heaven Help Us in Smash. Same composers, yes?

BigB08822
05-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I assume Once is based on the movie of the same name? That was one of the worst movies I have ever seen but maybe it translates to the stage a lot better?

skatingfan5
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I assume Once is based on the movie of the same name? Yes it is. (http://www.oncemusical.com/index.html?gclid=CLnXkqiN4K8CFYYKKgodwi-w2w#googsearch)
That was one of the worst movies I have ever seen but maybe it translates to the stage a lot better?:lol: I wouldn't count on that for you -- if you hated the movie as much as you seem to have, you likely wouldn't care much for the musical either, although perhaps you wouldn't judge it to be one of the worst you had ever seen. :P On the other hand, since I like the former very much, I think that chances of my liking the stage incarnation are quite high.

jenny12
05-01-2012, 11:33 PM

I saw the show in LA and actually enjoyed it. From the description of the changes, it sounds like they actually made it worse when the overhauled it. It's a shame, because there are some good songs, the cast is excellent, and with some actual thought about the changes, the show could have been good. The producers rushed it to Broadway to take advantage of a weak field of musicals this year, but that was a huge mistake.

FYI, I still thought Esparza would get a nod. I'm not a big fan of his normally, but I thought he was great in the LA production.

I was surprised it even got a Best Musical nod since the reviews have not been to kind.

I think Esparza is better in regular plays than musicals.

Artemis@BC
05-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Is Neil Patrick Harris really hosting again, or is that just something they haven't updated since last year? I hope so -- he completely made the show for me last year.

In the nominations, has anyone seen Cynthia Nixon in Wit? I'm having a hard time picturing anyone other than Emma Thompson in the role ... but Nixon has some serious acting talent so I guess I'm not too surprised at the nom.

fenway2
05-02-2012, 12:16 AM
It occurred to me that this musical is probably where they got the idea for Heaven Help Us in Smash. Same composers, yes? No. Marc Shaiman composes the score for Smash. Alan Menken composed Leap of Faith. I saw Leap of Faith in Los Angeles. It was horrible. The same problems that plagued it in LA are the same problems plaguing it in NY. Seems the powers that be didn't listen to any of the constructive criticism so it's hard to feel sorry for them.

PeterG
05-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Ricky Martin was rooooooooobbed!!!! :drama:

I assume Once is based on the movie of the same name? That was one of the worst movies I have ever seen but maybe it translates to the stage a lot better?

:huh: I didn't even want to see that movie....and ended up loving it!