PDA

View Full Version : Tara Lipinski

skatingfan12
05-01-2012, 07:21 AM
I have to ask, what happened to Tara Lipinski? Does anyone know what she's up to?

I know she lives in New York and apparently very good friends with Sasha Cohen. I don't think she ever went to college. She did some commentary with Universal Sports, but there isn't enough of that anymore to make a living off of. Does she work in New York? Or did make a fortune from endorsement deals that came with the OGM and touring with Stars on Ice for a few years?

SkateBlades17
05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
She still does commentary, as far as I know. I don't think she ever went to college, but I'm not 100% sure. I was just thinking the other day how she said on the 1998 Skate TV special, that she was going to for sure go to college, but I don't think she ever did. I wish she still skated though. I'm still confused as to if she had to stop skating because of her hip injury or not. I thought that she did, but she has recently said that isn't true. The funny thing is though, I remember right before she stopped skating, when she was on Ice Wars in 2002, she said that she was really injured and that doing her triples was painful. She also had one of her only falls as a pro in that Ice Wars event because of her injury. I went to Stars on Ice in 2003 and at the time that I got the tickets, Tara was scheduled to be in it, but then she wasn't. They said she had to pull out because of injury and I was upset because I wanted to see her. If it wasn't because of the injury like Tara now claimed, I'd be kind of annoyed because a alot of people got tickets to that to see her (especially young fans).

PashaFan
05-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I remember watching her win the Pro Worlds in 1999 & watching her at Divas On Ice & Stars On Ice.
I think she said she was injured & that it was her hip.
Also she felt an outsider touring with Stars On Ice & that no one really made friends with her.
I was also sorry to see her stop skating. There was a lot of hate for her which always shocked me.
She was an amazing skater. I hope she is happy in her life now :)

SkateBlades17
05-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Yes, I'm shocked by the hate for her too. I was completely obsessed with her in 1998 & the years following and wish she had been able to continue skating. I am still confused if she stopped skating because of her hip or not though because she has recently said that she didn't stop because of her hip, but I was always thought she did. She was an amazing skater and deserved her Olympic Gold medal. I think if she had stayed hadn't turned pro and hadn't had the hip injury, she could have won another OGM in 2002, especially since Michelle fell in the 2002 Olympics. **

UGG
05-11-2012, 03:28 PM
I believe she went pro after the 1998 Olympics because of her hip injury-she would not have been able to train at the level she was training due to the injury and there was no way she would have lasted until 2002. She was still able to skate in shows for I think two or three years.

Cheylana
05-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Tara retired from competitive skating and touring because of her hip injury, which was very, very serious. I think she gets on the ice here and there but doesn't really skate full programs in front of an audience anymore. It's too bad. Back in 1998 I was blinded by my MK fandom, but in retrospect I have tremendous respect for Tara's skating and competitive spirit. The U.S. was incredibly lucky to have those two go 1-2 at the Nagano Games. :)

aliceanne
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
She still does commentary, as far as I know. I don't think she ever went to college, but I'm not 100% sure. I was just thinking the other day how she said on the 1998 Skate TV special, that she was going to for sure go to college, but I don't think she ever did. I wish she still skated though. I'm still confused as to if she had to stop skating because of her hip injury or not. I thought that she did, but she has recently said that isn't true. The funny thing is though, I remember right before she stopped skating, when she was on Ice Wars in 2002, she said that she was really injured and that doing her triples was painful. She also had one of her only falls as a pro in that Ice Wars event because of her injury. I went to Stars on Ice in 2003 and at the time that I got the tickets, Tara was scheduled to be in it, but then she wasn't. They said she had to pull out because of injury and I was upset because I wanted to see her. If it wasn't because of the injury like Tara now claimed, I'd be kind of annoyed because a alot of people got tickets to that to see her (especially young fans).

Katarina Witt toured with her in SOI and mentioned in her book that she was shocked at how much pain so young a skater (Tara was 19 at the time) was in. It was in the part of the book discussing overuse injuries in young skaters post-figures.

Tara's mother claimed she was suffering from a lot of back pain leading up to the Olympics, but the cause was undiagnosed. I believe that interview was in one of Christine Brennan's books? Tara herself acknowledged it in an interview.

I wonde if is she is missing skating and is in a little bit of denial about why she had to quit?

mtnskater
05-12-2012, 06:42 AM
I was so happy with the U.S. Ladies back in the 90's. We had Tara, Michelle, Nicole, Angela...just some really great skaters. I never understood the Tara hate and defended her endlessly on some of the early skating boards. I loved Michelle's success too. I think many U.S. skating fans would kill to have a skater like Tara right now...consistent, competitive, pushing the technical envelope. Tara skated with joy too which always drew me in.

RD
05-13-2012, 05:00 AM
^ I remember Gracie Gold was drawing some comparisons to Lipinski not too long ago...

eurodance2001
05-13-2012, 05:06 AM
I have to ask, what happened to Tara Lipinski? Does anyone know what she's up to?

I know she lives in New York and apparently very good friends with Sasha Cohen. I don't think she ever went to college. She did some commentary with Universal Sports, but there isn't enough of that anymore to make a living off of. Does she work in New York? Or did make a fortune from endorsement deals that came with the OGM and touring with Stars on Ice for a few years?

I'm sure Tara made quite a bit of $$$ from touring but she comes from $$$ anyway so I'm sure she doesn't have to worry about that! Her father was/is some VP for some oil company in Texas and Tara is an only child so she is likely to enjoy the benefits of that! She has the freedom to explore hobbies and discover what she wants to do no doubt.

UGG
05-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Why do people care whether or not skaters go to college? don't get me wrong-I think for skaters like Michelle and Sasha-who are huge stars-it is a remarkable achievement to finish college. I really do. But I also have no problem with skaters like Tara, who are financially set, to do whatever. She can obviously make a living off of her OGM because we have not yet seen her selling herself on the streets LOL. I am sure, being underage at the time of her OGM, she had people making good decisions for her. Didn't she have the same agent as Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen? They were bazillionairs before they were 18 and were never even in anything good after Full House.

Skittl1321
05-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Didn't she have the same agent as Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen? They were bazillionairs before they were 18 and were never even in anything good after Full House.

Their direct to video movies were AWESOME. (Seriously... The real movie they did was awful though.) Way better than they were in Full House.

Hopefully Tara had wise advisors and is set for life due to good timing with the US skating boom.

I think the people who care about whether skaters went to college likely come from a place where everyone goes to college. I know in many families, it isn't an option, so it is odd when someone doesn't go.

Wyliefan
05-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Why do people care whether or not skaters go to college? don't get me wrong-I think for skaters like Michelle and Sasha-who are huge stars-it is a remarkable achievement to finish college. I really do. But I also have no problem with skaters like Tara, who are financially set, to do whatever.

I couldn't agree more. College is a great thing and I admire skaters who go for it. But it's not for everybody. If people choose other paths and can make a go of them, or if they take some time to explore a few options, that's fine too.