PDA

View Full Version : How much sleep do you get?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

reckless
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I usually get 4-6 hours, which is definitely not enough. Even worse, the past few weeks, I've had the world's loudest mockingbird nesting outside my bedroom window. It wouldn't be so bad if it chirped during the day, but it seems to have an on-switch that turns on at 1 am and lasts until 4 am.

Wiery
05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
In case this helps anyone, I've found something that really works as a "pick-me-up" on days where I haven't slept particularly well the night before.

It'a called "Energy Boost Brainwave Entrainment," just 10 minutes long and I find it really effective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yNVJsNsQI&list=FLsqO13epWSC26dYEs6UQ3Zw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

And for insomniacs, you might try one of the many "hypnosis for sleep" videos available on YouTube.

Thank you very much for this link! :)

Polymer Bob
05-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I guess I average about 7 hours a night.

Buzz
05-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Not much. I have worked nights for 8 out of the last 10 years and still have not adapted very well. Most days I get maybe 5 hours of restless sleep.

skateboy
05-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Thank you very much for this link! :)

Much obliged! I just took advantage of it this afternoon and feel pretty energetic as a result. :)

kwanfan1818
05-02-2012, 04:27 AM
I need eight hours, but it's only been the last six months that I don't expect to be working between 10pm and 2-3 am (on India time), even though I haven't done that since 2009.

Gazpacho
05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
There's a cool product called the Zeo that measures the different types of sleep you're in. It shows you how long you're in light sleep, REM, and deep sleep. You wear it on your head when you sleep, and it produces a graph of how long you were in each of the types of sleep.

I was able to see that I get very little deep sleep, and perhaps that's why I can sleep for a long time but not really feel refreshed.

Real sleep clinic equipment distinguishes between more types of sleep, but for less than $200, I've been satisfied with the Zeo. In terms of accuracy, it's obviously not as accurate as more fancy equipment, but it seemed pretty accurate in detecting my sleep and wake, and on nights when I know I've slept lightly, the graph shows that, and when I wake up in the middle of a dream, the graph reflects that too. So I feel it's accurate enough for what you can expect.

It doesn't detect things like sleep apnea, however, which is one of the biggest sleep problems.

paskatefan
05-02-2012, 11:39 AM
8 hours ideal. Definitely a morning person. I sometimes take a nap in the afternoon as well, and that helps.

maatTheViking
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I love to get 7 hours. Most days it is 5-6 due to mini viking, and the fact that we all need to get up early to make it to daycare/work, and I want some time for myself after he has gone to bed.

I am neither a morning nor an evening person. I don't like getting up, but I can't work late into the night - in fact I need to do things during the day, I cannot do chores in the evening.

Dave of the North
05-03-2012, 12:48 AM
I get 5.5 to 6.5 hours during the week, which isn't enough. If I get 7 that's usually OK. I'm a morning person and a night person, if that makes sense. I get up at 6 AM, have a tired period in the afternoon (but it's frowned upon if one has a nap at work.:P) I usually sleep on the bus on the way home (almost missed my stop today). In the evening I'll perk up again. Weekends I will sleep longer.

equatorial
05-03-2012, 01:11 AM
I've always thought that the world is set up by and for morning people. I am totally fine working late into the night, that's when I feel the most energetic and productive. In the mornings I feel like I have fog in my head until about 10 am. That's also about when thoughts of breakfast finally become acceptable.

This. As I see from this thread, FS fandom and being a night owl are somehow correlated :lol: