PDA

View Full Version : Dancing With The Stars, S 14, Week 7 "Classical Week"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

AYS
05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
As virtuosic as Julie Andrews' voice already was in that recording, it still retained more of a young person feel to it than Jackie Evancho's. I also find it disconcerting hearing that voice coming out of a young person, although she is undeniably gifted.

Julie Andrews is one of my all time favorite singers and actresses, so maybe I'm biased towards her and her young voice though.

numbers123
05-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Most of the dances did not work with the classical music selections. Maria/Derek and Peta/Donald were the exception. I enjoyed Mark/Kathryn but the music didn't work.

Classical music night does not work with Rhumba, Tango and whatever else they did. The music choices and dance rhythms do not go together, no matter how talented the choreographer is

cruisin
05-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I suspect that she has the same "adult larynx" that the young Julie Andrews was blessed with two generations ago:

Julie Andrews - Age 12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2-YGGn0y4

Realizing that, I'm not "freaked out" by Jackie's voice.

I hope that she will have access to appropriate training, as her voice matures.
I believe she is truly gifted; and I'd love for her potential to be realized.

I agree with AYS, Julie Andrews' voice was more youthful, possibly because she was a higher soprano. Another very young singer, Charlotte Church.

danceronice
05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Classical music night does not work with Rhumba, Tango and whatever else they did. The music choices and dance rhythms do not go together, no matter how talented the choreographer is

There are classical pieces (if you're liberal in your definition of the term) that would work, just...not the ones they picked.

cruisin
05-02-2012, 12:03 AM
^^ Agree, and you don't even have to be too liberal. Carmen, as cliche as it is, can work for latin dances.

danceronice
05-02-2012, 12:12 AM
There's 101 Strauss waltzes if you need a Viennese waltz....

cruisin
05-02-2012, 12:18 AM
There's 101 Strauss waltzes if you need a Viennese waltz....

I know! Do you realize that there was not one Blue Danube last night! :lol:

skatesindreams
05-02-2012, 12:24 AM
I agree with AYS, Julie Andrews' voice was more youthful, possibly because she was a higher soprano. Another very young singer, Charlotte Church.

Charlotte Church is an example of someone who didn't get the right training.
I hope that Jackie's parents/managers/mentors will see that she can/does.

cruisin
05-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Charlotte Church is an example of someone who didn't get the right training.
I hope that Jackie's parents/managers/mentors will see that she can/does.

Do you think that she didn't get the right training, or that she went in the wrong direction? Rather than stick with a more classical genre, she went pop. Or, is that what you mean by not getting the right training?

victorskid
05-02-2012, 02:11 AM
The repeat dance was the "perfect" one, of course. They gave us the "alternate ending" which usually has to "wait for the DVD" according to Tom :)

Safe are all three couples who scored 27 last night: Cheryl & William; Peta & Donald; Katherine & Mark [declared safe in that order, maintaining some "drama"...]

Four couples left, 2 of whom will have to perform a rhumba in the dance duel.

Garden Kitty
05-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Was there really any point to naming which team came in last other than to make them feel bad?

victorskid
05-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Was there really any point to naming which team came in last other than to make them feel bad?

Are you talking about the "young" teams? I think things were a bit chaotic and they really weren't sure what they were doing :lol:

victorskid
05-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Now to the final four: Maria & Derek; Cheltzie & Roshon; Jaleel & Kim; Melissa & Max

Safe - Maria & Derek; Melissa & Max
In the bottom 2 to rhumba in the duel - Cheltzie & Roshon; Jaleel & Kim

soxxy
05-02-2012, 03:01 AM
I do think Roshon was slightly better, it was close.

victorskid
05-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Going home - Kim & Jaleel.