PDA

View Full Version : Unconfirmed: Zhang and Zhang may split?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

judgejudy27
05-03-2012, 11:55 PM
I cant believe they split up a young team just to keep a has been who should retire now in the fold. This is the Chinese Master plan to returning to the top in pairs, ROTFL!!! My prediction of the Chinese pairs becoming irrelevant again is looking more and more likely all time.

jl22aries
05-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I am weary of the lack of appreciation for athletes who choose to continue competing when their results show decline. It is lazy to only think of a great career as one that caps off at its peak. To continue onwards is scary, challenging, painful, and there follows a colourful, fulfilling, empowering experience, that might not necessarily translate to medals. Let's open our minds to think that sport can be beyond the podium, especially one like figure skating with its special creative and expressive potentials. Kudos to skaters who choose to stay on when there are hungry, faster, fresher youngins nipping at the heels, kudos to these athletes who feel they have a little more to explore, and to give.

Has beens? Irrelevant? A country of billions, with a massive talent pool, with a hunger for National glory, no lack of funding, and no fear of working hard...irrelevant. Hmm.

DaiKozOda
05-04-2012, 12:52 AM
I am weary of the lack of appreciation for athletes who choose to continue competing when their results show decline. It is lazy to only think of a great career as one that caps off at its peak. To continue onwards is scary, challenging, painful, and there follows a colourful, fulfilling, empowering experience, that might not necessarily translate to medals. Let's open our minds to think that sport can be beyond the podium, especially one like figure skating with its special creative and expressive potentials. Kudos to skaters who choose to stay on when there are hungry, faster, fresher youngins nipping at the heels, kudos to these athletes who feel they have a little more to explore, and to give.

This!

Cheburashka87
05-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Has beens? Irrelevant? A country of billions, with a massive talent pool, with a hunger for National glory, no lack of funding, and no fear of working hard...irrelevant. Hmm.

This!

miffy
05-04-2012, 08:26 PM
This makes me so sad :( I had grown to like the Zhangs more over the years and was really rooting for them. I hope Dan will be able to continue a skating career of some sort if she wants to.

judgejudy27
05-04-2012, 08:28 PM
If older skaters want to skate fine, but it is silly to break up a young partnership to cater to an older skater whose best was many years ago, and who has injuries now. Also whether either of the Zhangs even want to skate at this point is doubtful at best. It seems the general consensus is the Chinese federation often forces their older competitors to keep going. As it is clear all their top pairs of the last 15 years have pretty much used up all their potential, and many are struggling just to stay afloat now, they should be focusing much more on the younger pairs, rather than desperately working to salvage the old guard. If the old ones want to go on (and are not being pushed into it) then fine, but dont cater to them and make them the focal point. If that is their approach they can prepare for a long medal drought in pairs, the one I suggested might happen a few months ago.

analia
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Peng Cheng has quite a partner hopping career of her own. She was skating with Han Cong for a brief while before she outgrew him. At the end of the day, this girl is 17 and has practically zero junior success and won't (her partner's running out of junior eligibility) and you can't blame her for not having the patience anymore.

That being said, Peng's partner Zhang Tianci is actually very talented, with more potential than Zhang Hao. Hopefully he can find a partner with better artistry than Peng Cheng. The girl can jump and do skills, but needs a lot of maturity lessons.

beepbeep
05-05-2012, 10:12 PM
And I'm calling bullshit on her growing at age "24."

I grew up until I was 21. :shuffle:
(1.78m at 18, 1.80 at 21...)

I do find a major growth spurt at that age unlikely too, but she could have grown a couple of centimeters...

feraina
05-05-2012, 11:59 PM

I grew 2.5 cm when I was 30.

Any kind of growth after 21 is unusual, whether it occurs at 24, 26, or 28. I don't think one can deduce anything from Dan Zhang growing at 25.

blue_idealist
05-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Was she maybe on hormone pills that stunted her growth until a late age on purpose?

liv
05-06-2012, 01:38 AM
I"ll admit that was my first thought... probably not a popular idea, but you do hear about these things sometimes.

meimei
05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
It has been confirmed. Dan Zhang has retired and Hao Zhang will continue pair skating with Peng Cheng.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2012-05-06/20196051098.shtml

apatinar
05-06-2012, 03:39 PM
What a shame.. I really loved this team.. When they first came on the scene I really thought they could have developed into the Chinese Berezhnaya/ Sikharulidze... however they never developed their artistry and became stagnant.. I always wondered why they could never fix little things like Hao Zhang pointing his toe on a camel spin which even intermediate skaters can do.. best of luck to both of them..

Sylvia
05-06-2012, 03:41 PM
It has been confirmed. Dan Zhang has retired and Hao Zhang will continue pair skating with Peng Cheng.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2012-05-06/20196051098.shtml
Thank you, meimei. I've started a new thread in GSD now that the news is confirmed by an article/articles: Dan ZHANG has retired; Hao ZHANG and Cheng PENG are a new Chinese pair (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83573)

zippy
05-07-2012, 04:52 AM
(1.78m at 18, 1.80 at 21...)

I do find a major growth spurt at that age unlikely too, but she could have grown a couple of centimeters...

Me too, I grew until I was 23. I wound up a good inch taller than I was at 20. I always wonder why people find this kind of thing so surprising. People are different. Athletes tend to grow later. shrug.

I'll miss Zhang/Zhang - I always loved their Kashmir SP in Torino!