PDA

View Full Version : The 1st Annual FSU Stanley Cup Pick The Winner Game...Pool...Bet...Thing

AragornElessar
04-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Okay Everyone...I've been mentioning/threatening to start this for a couple of weeks now, but w/the First Round ending last night in spectatular fashion w/that Double OT win of the Devils, it's time to get this thing started!!!

I did intend to do this starting from the very beginning of the Playoffs, but time got away on me and...Anyway....And awwwwway we go!!!

The Rules

They're actually pretty simple and it's pretty much the same game my Dad and I have played for close to twenty years now. Only...W/my Dad's health now what it is, we've had to stop playing it the last couple of years. Also unlike our game, the winner here won't be getting Breakfast in Bed for a weekend if she won or having to be someone's Personal Servant for an entire weekend if not. :D

All you need to do is go through the respective match ups starting w/the Second Round. Take a good look, think about how much you know about the respective teams and then pick the team you think is going to win that Series. You also have to pick out how many games the series ends up going. Ties don't matter until the Stanley Cup Final. If at the end of the Final we do have a tie, then I'll dig up a Trivia question to break a tie.

For every guess of the team to win a Series, a point is awarded. A point is also awarded if you've managed to figure out how many games it took for your Team to win its Series. If you've managed to pick both, then you'll end up w/two points for that Series.

And that's all there is to it really. Simple, right? :D

And here are the Second Round match ups...

St. Louis vs LA Kings

Coyotes vs Predators

Rangers vs Caps

Flyers vs Devils

I'll post my picks after I finish Supper. Good Luck one and all!! :D

professordeb
04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Hmmmm....
St. Louis in 5
Preds in 6
Caps in 6
Devils in 7

deltask8er
04-29-2012, 03:39 AM
L.A. Kings in 6

Nashville Predators in 7

NY Rangers in 6

Phildadelphia Flyers in 5

AragornElessar
04-30-2012, 02:39 AM
That was a long Supper, wasn't it? ;) We had company pop in last night, so was kept busy. My picks...

Predators in 7

Kings in 7 ~ I can't go against Quick. Man that lad's hot right now.

Devils in 5

Rangers in 5

Habs
05-01-2012, 02:53 AM
LA Kings in 6
Preds in 7
Philadelphia in 5 (:( I hope I'm wrong)
Rangers in 6

Vash01
05-02-2012, 06:57 AM
LA Kings in 5
Phoenix Coyotes in 6 (I may be the only one here picking them to win)
NJ Devils in 6
NY Rangers in 7

AragornElessar
05-08-2012, 04:05 AM
First Standings...

Myself, Habs, deltask8er and Vash are all in a four way tie for the lead w/one point each. We all picked the Kings, but no one said anything regarding the sweep. Due to that, no one got the full two points for that series.

Still buzzing over the way the Rangers beat the Caps tonight. WOW!!

AragornElessar
05-17-2012, 11:51 PM
First off...My apologies for not getting to this before now. The last few days have been crazy to say the least. Sunday was doing the prep for a Colonoscopy, Monday was the actual test and then sleeping off the drugs, Tuesday I finally made it the rest of the way home and yesterday I literally crashed.

Which is why I'm only getting to this now. And here are the Standings after the Second Round...

Vash is leading the way w/five points, I'm right behind her w/four points, Deltask8er and Habs are in a tie w/two points and Deb's bringing up the rear w/only one point.

What gave both me and Vash a wee bit of a lead was her calling the Rangers/Caps series going to the full seven and me calling the Devils/Flyers series over in five. Due to that, we both got the full two points for both picking the winning team and how long for the series.

I know we're now two games into both Conference Series and I once again apologize for that. I'll be back a bit later w/my two Conference picks.

Good luck one and all w/the Conference Final picks!! :D

Habs
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
West:
LA in 5

East:
NJ in 7

professordeb
05-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Yaaaaa! I am once again in my good and steady last place. Considering how I'm not following who is around let's see

West: Kings in 4
East: Devils (cause I can stomach them more than I can Tort) in ... umm ... 7?

AragornElessar
05-20-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm saying...

Kings in 5

and

Rangers in 7

Habs
05-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Stanley Cup Final:
Kings in 6

professordeb
05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Devils in 7 so Marty can get another ring.

AragornElessar
05-29-2012, 04:01 AM
I'm saying Kings in Seven and I'll have the updated standings up tomorrow sometime.

AragornElessar
05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
As promised, here's the Updated Standings...

Standings After Conference Finals

Me ~ 8 points

Habs ~ 5 points

Deb ~ 3 points

Vash ~ 5 points

Deltask8er ~ 2 points

Both Habs and I had a surge this Round thanks to us correctly picking the Kings taking The Clarence Campbell Trophy in 5 games and in turn getting the full two points available. Habs picked up another point by correcting choosing the Devils winning The Prince of Wales Trophy.

Deb, you picked up two each for correctly picking the two teams who would reach The Stanley Cup Final. Vash and Deltask8er didn't take part this round, so didn't pick up any points. They can still take part though, so long as they post their picks in here.

BTW...A couple of years ago I had major time to kill before my VIA train back to Sudbury after CSOI weekend in Toronto (It leaves Toronto at 10pm EST) and the Olympic Medals exhibit was still on at the Hockey Hall of Fame, so guess where I headed after dropping off my stuff in storage for my carry on and checked the big suitcase? Now I've been to the HHOF before, but the Prince of Wales Trophy wasn't there that time due it possibly being presented that night. This time it was there and IMO, it's one of the most gorgeous trophies in the Hall.

It is w/out a doubt the work of a Master Silversmith. The work on it and all of the etchings designed on it is just gorgeous!! The stone that's in the middle of the base is an Agate and I've never seen one that large before. Really pretty and the golden egg shell colour of it really plays off the silver of the Trophy so incredably well.

Sorry for babbling, but I was just so blown away by the POW Trophy when I was there and seeing it awarded the other night reminded me of that. If you are ever in Toronto and have the time to go to the Hall, I only have one thing to say.

GO!!!

:D Also don't forget when you're in the Hall of Honour to look up. That's the portion of the original Bank of Montreal building of the HHOF and the Dome is just beyond beautiful as it's all stained glass. I told a bunch of people that when I attended a LOTR Convention in Toronto in 2006, as like me they were all allergic to cigarette smoke, and couldn't risk attending the outdoor picnic over on Toronto Island planned for the afternoon and early evening of the first day.

All of them came up to me later on during the weekend to thank me, as they never would have thought to look up, and they would have missed seeing that. So don't forget that if you ever visit the HHOF.

BTW, we all had the last laugh, as around 2:30/3pm-ish a storm came in and they got drenched out at their Picnic. I was at the Jays game that afternoon and as I saw the skies get darker and darker, I started to snicker a bit. So much for missing out on a wonderful picnic...;) :D

Good Luck to everyone w/their picks and this is for all of the marbles!! May the best Hockey expert guesser follow upper on hunches win!! :D