PDA

View Full Version : Need advice transferring planes in Frankfurt, please.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

cruisin
04-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Nan, you'll have your luggage checked through all the way from Munich. I've never heard of anyone having to pick up their bags and check them in again on flights that were booked on the same ticket and transferred in the EU.

Now when I fly to the US or Japan and even if I have a connecting flight domestically, I do have to pick up my checked luggage and pass customs at my first point of entry.

I've had it happen when I've started out in remote airports. Within the same country!

Tinami Amori
04-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Nan, you'll have your luggage checked through all the way from Munich. I've never heard of anyone having to pick up their bags and check them in again on flights that were booked on the same ticket and transferred in the EU..
- in most cases true IF one is travelling on the same airline.
But not always.

- not true if a non-EU citizen wants to apply for a Duty Refund and has the purchased items in the checked luggage. One has to show the purchased goods at the last point of departure from EU. (and then put them back in the luggage and check it in).

cruisin
04-28-2012, 09:56 PM
- in most cases true IF one is travelling on the same airline.
But not always.

- not true if a non-EU citizen wants to apply for a Duty Refund and has the purchased items in the checked luggage. One has to show the purchased goods at the last point of departure from EU. (and then put them back in the luggage and check it in).

I thought you just had to show receipts.

Tinami Amori
04-29-2012, 12:27 AM
I thought you just had to show receipts.

de facto - the Duty Service officers may or may not check your luggage for items on the receipt/cheque/purchase proof. they use their judgement when and who to check.

de jure - you have to show ALL your items which you purchased,because showing a receipt alone does not guarantee the items belong to you and/or are leaving the EU zone.

FigureSpins
04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Totally OT, but I took a Lufthansa flight from Brussels to Frankfurt and it was truly a unique experience at takeoff. The pilot backed out of the gate, taxied a bit and waited for clearance, made the announcement, then literally hung a left turn and took off down the runway! I don't like takeoffs/landings and I was in shock about the suddenness and speed!

*Jen*
04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
If it's one airline, you should be able to check your bags through. If not, you might have to pick them up, but I wouldn't worry. They'll let you know when you check in at Munich Airport, and 4 hours is LOADS of time :)

Nan
04-30-2012, 03:07 PM
The flights I'm taking are with the same airline (Lufthansa) and I arrive and leave Frankfurt at the same terminal, so I think that will help.

I get what Tinami is saying about the domestic versus international flights. Southpaw and others have arrived in Frankfurt already on international flights and so customs was not an issue, but since Frankfurt will be my point of departure from the country, that will be where I will have to go through customs, immigration, etc. I don't plan on doing a lot of shopping so I'm not too concerned with the Duty Refund.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my luggage will be checked through from Munich but if it isn't, I'm fairly confident I will have enough time to deal with whatever I have to go through.

Thank you all for the discussion and helping me think this through. :)

sk9tingfan
04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I've had to change flights at Frankfurt 3 times, it was chaos every time. Does anyone actually EXIT the airport at Frankfurt, or is it just for connecting flights?
IMHO, every incoming flight to Frankfurt is delayed; I think is a deliberate ploy for the amusement of the airport staff, who know everyone has a connecting flight.
When you try to find the gate for your connecting flight you will be confronted by frenzied travelers stampeding to make their planes. And you will hear nonstop bellowing over the PA system: Passengers for Rome, go to gate 3 IMMEDIATELY! Passengers for Warsaw, procede to gate 20! Last call for passengers for Paris! Passengers for Salzburg, your flight just left without you!

I would not connect in Frankfurt again if I could avoid it.

You're right. It is a madhouse! Also, before you get on any lines, make sure you know what it's purpose is. I mistakenly got on one that I shouldn't have and wasted 15 minutes. Also, make sure you're wearing comfortable shoes.

cruisin
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
^^ Madhouse is the perfect description! Signs with arrows make no sense. They have arrows that look like they are saying go straight, but they really mean go down, and vice versa. They have you going downstairs, down long hallways, then back upstairs, then back down stairs. You get so turned around, you have no idea where you are. And the place is very dark. You almost have no sense of time there - as in - is it daytime or night time. There is also a very strong military presence at the security gates. The first time I saw that (before 9/11), it was startling.

Jenny
04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
The flights I'm taking are with the same airline (Lufthansa) and I arrive and leave Frankfurt at the same terminal, so I think that will help.

Definitely will make things easier!

Since we are sharing airline/airport stories ... recently returned from a trip to Thailand, passing through Hong Kong. On the way there, we were caught in Air Canada's day of wildcat strikes - literally watched our flight crew walk off the job when we were at the gate waiting to board. Long story short, as anyone who has every tried to deal with Air Canada "customer service" :rolleyes: knows, it was a total nightmare.

However, imagine my surprise when the kind folks at Bangkok Airways (who answered my call on the first ring), easily switched my connecting flight to another day, with no fuss or muss. We took a bunch of flights on that airline, and believe it or not North Americans - they serve a full hot meal on flights of less than one hour!

And then get this - we board a Thai Airways flight at a tiny airport in northern Thailand, with a plan to switch to Emirates in Bangkok to get to Hong Kong - and they checked our luggage through. Different airline, separately bought ticket, giant airport, leaving the country.

Makes all the crap and indignities we have to go through with most American and Canadian airlines that much more annoying. :mad:

BittyBug
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
:confused: Reading all the negative comments on FRA I wonder whether there's a parallel airport that I've been to instead because I not only have no complaints about FRA, it's one of my airports of choice for connecting through Europe. And certainly any airport that has lounge chairs in the corridors for resting between connections gets props in my book. But seriously, I think it's pretty decent as far as major international hubs go so don't be concerned, Nan.

Nan
04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
^ Thanks. :)

PrincessLeppard
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
:confused: Reading all the negative comments on FRA I wonder whether there's a parallel airport that I've been to instead because I not only have no complaints about FRA, it's one of my airports of choice for connecting through Europe. And certainly any airport that has lounge chairs in the corridors for resting between connections gets props in my book. But seriously, I think it's pretty decent as far as major international hubs go so don't be concerned, Nan.

I've never had problems at Frankfurt, either, and I can't even count how many times I've flown in and out of it. I will say that security is heavy and sometimes you have to go through screenings TWICE, but, eh, whatever.

:)

Nan
06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Bumping this up just to follow through.

When we checked in at Munich, the very nice man who helped us at the kiosk checked our luggage all the way through to Detroit and printed boarding passes for both Munich and Frankfurt. We did not have to leave the secure area when we got to the Frankfurt airport and found the signing to be very clear. It was a long walk between gates, but we had plenty of time and really enjoyed the "people watching."

Slick as a whistle! ;)

Again, thanks to all of you for your information and input. :)

Southpaw
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Oh goodie, do I get to say "I told you so" now? :rollin: