PDA

View Full Version : Arizona-Nevada trip - suggestions, advice?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Vash01
05-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Vash,

Do you or anyone else have any recommendations for where to stay in the Sedona area? We are not touristy types, but the area sounds too beautiful too miss.

What about Southern Arizona near the Mexico border? I am wondering if is going to even compare to Death Valley or Northern Arizona/Four Corners area? Nothing in the materials I've been reading has really captured me, though we have no itinerary and have about two weeks to travel between mid-Arizona and San Diego.

We're in Williams near the Grand Canyon now. Man, it's cold - but a jacuzzi fixed that just fine. Tomorrow we're off to explore and our dog finally gets some cool weather and hikes, she's just been such a great trooper as we've had a few long driving days.

Sedona is full of motels/hotels/bed & breakfasts/resorts. Los Abrigados resort is right in the middle of downtown, but is a bit pricey. There is another hotel right next to it; I can't remember its name. Right across there is another hotel. Briar Patch Inn is deep where Oak Creek is. There is Lantern House Inn B&B that is in the middle of downtown. Basically, you have unlimited choices, from medium to high (to very high) price ranges. The Village of Oak Creek has Bell Rock Inn, and a few other motels. It's about 6 milies south of Sedona.

If you drive west on hwy 89, there is Sedona Pines resort, which is less expensive (around 5 miles from downtown). Also right in the middle, there are lots of B&B (one on Jordan Lane, but I can't remember its name right now is not too expensive). There are also many hotels- Quality or Comfort Inn is just south of downtown, and not too expensive.

Other places in N.AZ worth visiting: Tuzigoot National monument near Sedona/Cottonwood, Petrified Forest National Park (east of Flagstaff; not real close), Lake Powell (closer to Page- if you are going to Four Corners area), and of course the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's much quieter, and the scenery is quite different from the South Rim. Sunset Crater and Wupatki national monuments are interesting for the glimpse into the past Indian cultures. If you have the time, I highly recommend visiting Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley. If you are going to cover Four Corners, you may be able to visit these places (although they are not real close to 4C).

Southern Arizona near the Mexican border: It has its own beauty, but it can't compare with Northern Arizona. Below I have highlighted the ones I find extraordinarily beautiful.

If you go west of Tucson, there is Organ Pipe Cactus National monument which is beautiful (name of the town: Ajo). There is a very nice B&B in Ajo called Guest House Inn. I stayed there in January and loved it. They charge about $100 per night. There are not many traditional eating places in Ajo (like McDonald, etc. but there is a Pizza Inn and there are other restaurants that the B&B has listed).

If you want to explore areas near Tucson, you can check out Sabino Canyon, The Presidio (historic state park), Tumacacori mission, Catalina State park. They are somewhat close to the Mexican border. Nogales is the city on the border. I would not recommend going into Mexico from there. There are drugs and crime.

If you go east of Tucson, Kartchner Cavern state park is absolutely beautiful. If you have the time, I recommend taking at least one of their guided tours (I think one part of the caverns is closed during summer).There are also two locations of Saguaro National park. Further east, there is Chiricahua National monument and Tombstone (Ref: Wyatt Earp and the gunfight at OK Corrall).

Vash01
05-01-2012, 05:08 PM
King's Ransom is perfectly nice if you're looking for a moderately priced place not too far from downtown Sedona.

L'Auberge de Sedona is quite the upscale place per SIL, and Enchantment Resort is right up against some amazing rock formations, with real distance from neighbors.

There is also an incredible -- and not real expensive -- small lodge up on the Mesa with the Sedona airport (very close to downtown, but not walking distance) -- the views are amazing and the rooms are lovely.http://www.skyranchlodge.com/sky-ranch/

I highly recommend the Skyranch lodge. I had stayed there couple of times. They have some rooms facing the red rocks and some that do not. It's a gorgeous location, with views. In Sedona you get views from practically everywhere, but this is at a slightly higher elevation, and people always gather there to watch the sunset.

I just remembered that I am visiting Sedona the weekend of June 16th (will be at Los Abrigados to use up my timeshare points). All this conversation is getting me excited. I am going to try to take a jeep tour into the grand canyon; I thint it covers areas of the GC that I have not seen before.

cygnus
05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I've seen O, Love, Mystere, Viva Elvis, and KA. I wasn't crazy about Viva Elvis, although it was fine, and an Elvis fan would enjoy it. Mystere was good. O was very good. I would tie Love and KA for first place- but they are very different. Love is for Beatles fans- it's trippy and voidy and has great music and some great effects and lots of dancing. KA is a spectacular- lots of daring acrobatics, some breathtaking moments interlaced with some lovely quiet moments.

Any of them are worth seeing- it just depends on your taste. I've heard Zumanity is good too- but it's an "adult" show, and not to everyone's taste.

barbk
05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Any of them are worth seeing- it just depends on your taste. I've heard Zumanity is good too- but it's an "adult" show, and not to everyone's taste.

What do you mean by "adult" -- simply not enjoyable by kids, or "adult" as in sexualized, explicit or raunchy?

cygnus
05-01-2012, 10:54 PM
What do you mean by "adult" -- simply not enjoyable by kids, or "adult" as in sexualized, explicit or raunchy?

The latter. ;)

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/zumanity/show/about.aspx

WindSpirit
05-02-2012, 02:35 AM
I've seen O, Love, Mystere, Viva Elvis, and KA. I wasn't crazy about Viva Elvis, although it was fine, and an Elvis fan would enjoy it. Mystere was good. O was very good. I would tie Love and KA for first place- but they are very different. Love is for Beatles fans- it's trippy and voidy and has great music and some great effects and lots of dancing. KA is a spectacular- lots of daring acrobatics, some breathtaking moments interlaced with some lovely quiet moments. Thanks so much, that helped a lot.

KA sounds like a show I'd like to see the most, but I just checked their prices and they are pretty much insane. Two tickets plus taxes: $415. :yikes:

When I was checking Mystere's prices, they were around $130 and they had some discounts available for specific dates, so I could see it for around $95 per ticket. $200 for a ticket is a little too much.

Japanfan
05-02-2012, 06:40 AM
We went to the Grand Canyon today - it was, granted, just a brief visit. All we did was drive part of the Southern Rim and look out at viewpoints. It's awfully cold here, for one thing, and we didn't want to spend a lot of money on a tour or to do strenuous hiking.

My immediate impression, FWIW, is that yes, it is awesome in its immensity. But I did not feel enchanted - like I feel at Death Valley and felt to a lesser degree in Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelley near the Four Corners.

It wasn't accessible in the sense that you could just 'be there' without descending down into the canyon or taking a tour. By that a mean, having an unforgettable experience just driving through a place and having to stop and look some more, or just stopping for dinner in a place. It reminded me a bit of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta in that way. Formidable.

Of course the experience would be entirely different if you went to the North Rim, which is currently closed. But I feel no need to stay in the area or explore further.

We spent a similar amount of time at Bryce Canyon in Utah and it was far more enchanting and visually exciting.

We are staying in Williams, kind of a funky off-beat sort of place. It's fortunate we are here in the off-season as in summer prices must sky-rocket and tourists must multiply exponentially.

Japanfan
05-03-2012, 07:01 AM
We came to Sedona/Oak Creek area today. It's beautiful, even magical. The touristy stuff doesn't interest us and we're not about to get electromagnetic therapy or a psychic reader, or take a tour to the four vortexes. I do believe there is some truth to energy vortexes and lei (ley?) lines, but am sure that taking a $50 tour to experience them would pretty much cancel out the effect. . .

This is fabulous hiking country and we found a great trail several hours after arriving - at the end of the trail we met a woman who said she had spent a fortune traveling in this area and never discovered such a trail. All we did was ask our motel owner about trails.

We're in a cute motel with a hot tub and swimming pool, my latest thing as a traveler. The weather is beautiful and the red canyons are a riot of colours. It's probably a bit like being at the bottom of the Grand Canyon without such a steep climb to the top.

manhn
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Booked my flight to Pheonix today (they better not have SA there later this year)!

I'll be going in 2-3 weeks, so there is a pretty good chance the Coyotes may still be in the playoffs. I know it's not exactly in Pheonix but where from the airport would it be? Maybe I will actually attend an NHL playoff game in my lifetime.

WindSpirit
05-03-2012, 07:42 PM
This is fabulous hiking country and we found a great trail several hours after arriving - at the end of the trail we met a woman who said she had spent a fortune traveling in this area and never discovered such a trail. All we did was ask our motel owner about trails.

We're in a cute motel with a hot tub and swimming pool, my latest thing as a traveler. The weather is beautiful and the red canyons are a riot of colours. It's probably a bit like being at the bottom of the Grand Canyon without such a steep climb to the top. I was looking forward to your posts, but I'm not sure what purpose they have in this thread if you're not going to post any concrete info. "I'm staying in this cute motel that I won't mention the name of and I found this wonderful trail that I'm not going to tell you where it is" is not very helpful.

Vash01
05-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Booked my flight to Pheonix today (they better not have SA there later this year)!

I'll be going in 2-3 weeks, so there is a pretty good chance the Coyotes may still be in the playoffs. I know it's not exactly in Pheonix but where from the airport would it be? Maybe I will actually attend an NHL playoff game in my lifetime.

Jobing.com arena, in Glendale, where the Coyotes play, is around 20 miles (I think) from Phx airport. I can get more accurate info for you later. I have been there several times. I hope the Coyotes will still be in the playoffs when you get here. The crowd at the Coyotes games is great, and I might be there too.:)

BTW what is 'SA' in your post?

ETA: My guess was correct (around 20 miles from the airport to the arena)

barbk
05-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Skate America is my guess.

Vash01
05-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Skate America is my guess.

I think you are right. I doubt they will have SA here, but i will be thrilled if they do. I could actually go see it without spending on travel and hotel.

manhn
05-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Yes, I meant Skate America. Had USFSA announced that Pheonix will host 2012 SA by now, then I would go to Pheonix *then* and go somewhere else in the US this month. If USFSA later announces Pheonix, I will not go just out of spite. But I don't want to go to Ontario either. Maybe I'll go to Omaha.

Japanfan
05-04-2012, 05:36 AM
I was looking forward to your posts, but I'm not sure what purpose they have in this thread if you're not going to post any concrete info. "I'm staying in this cute motel that I won't mention the name of and I found this wonderful trail that I'm not going to tell you where it is" is not very helpful.

Sorry. The motel we're at is The Sugar Loaf, it's about $65 a night, in Williams we stayed at Travelodge, which cost about the same. We generally seek out reasonably priced motels - they have to be pet friendly, so our choice is limited - though once in a while we do like to splurge. And motels are preferable to hotels when you have a dog on board.

The Sugar Loaf has a hot tub and pool in the back, very pleasant in the evening, but is located on a major road so there is traffic noise until about 10 pm.

This would be a great place to spurge on a hotel with a canyon view if you had the inclination as the setting is so spectacular. Just driving down the main Sedona-Oak Creek drag will present you with a lot of option.s We've just decided to wait until we're somewhere less touristy to seek out resort-type accommodation.

The three-hour hike we did today was called Boynton Canyon trail and included a somewhat steep climb to a ridge in one of the vortex areas, well worth the effort and the view.

Yesterday we did the 'Teacup Trail', after getting lost driving up a street called Coffee Pot Road in a search of today's trail. You won't find it on a tourist map, need a local street map (available at the visitor centrers that abound here). The trail is near a residential area and free, whereas Boyton required the $5.00 per day visitor parking past. It was full of viewpoints, whereas Teacup was right in one canyon and the experience was one of immersion, as opposed to admiring breathtaking vistas.

I think the locals keep some of the best trails/locales for themselves - can't really blame them I suppose, given the number of tourists that come here. You can probably drive up any local road into the canyon and find wonderful trails to hike and see spectacular scenery. We plan to do that tomorrow on our way out.