PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone ever skate to Brokeback Mountain?

Pages : [1] 2

dots
04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
I know most skaters wouldn't touch the score by Santaolalla. But my god The Wings is such a beautiful piece of music that it seems like such an obvious pick.

I always thought Jeremy Abbott would be able to create beautiful skating with this song (probably a short program) He's like the perfect skater to skate to The Wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fe1dzhY_ps

Macassar88
04-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Maybe chan since he's already conquered the "six inches" from BBM

aftershocks
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
It would be interesting to see Jeremy Abbott skate to this music, perhaps it is more suited to an exhibition number, especially with the lyrics. However, an instrumental version too would be nice. But, I wonder maybe whether the subject matter/ context of the film might be a deterrent for some skaters selecting this beautiful music.

Certainly, the eloquent, brave and wonderful film Brokeback Mountain (by Ang Lee) should have won an Academy Award for Best Picture instead of the flawed Crash. I also felt Heath Ledger deserved to win an Oscar for Best Actor that year.

dots
04-28-2012, 02:35 AM
It would be interesting to see Jeremy Abbott skate to this music, perhaps it is more suited to an exhibition number, especially with the lyrics. However, an instrumental version too would be nice. But, I wonder maybe whether the subject matter/ context of the film might be a deterrent for some skaters selecting this beautiful music.

Certainly, the eloquent, brave and wonderful film Brokeback Mountain (by Ang Lee) should have won an Academy Award for Best Picture instead of the flawed Crash. I also felt Heath Ledger deserved to win an Oscar for Best Actor that year.

I think there's enough sensitivity and maturity in Jeremy for the subject matter of the film not to be a problem. It really is a shame the film has kept skaters from using this beautiful melody. Well not the film itself but their ignorance. :(

Maybe one day, who knows.

PS: Yes, it should have won the Oscar. It was such a shock when it lost.

Macassar88 you little devil :grope:

The Accordion
04-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Maybe Bobrova and Soloviev? ;)

Polymer Bob
04-29-2012, 10:15 PM
I suppose it's a matter of how it is presented. Imagine you are sitting on your couch watching the U.S. Nationals on television next year. ( Wouldn't that be great? ) Alissa Czisny is introduced and she skates out to center ice and takes her position. The information box pops up and tells you she is skating to "Sacrifice" by Maurice Jarre. You wouldn't think much of it.
But if the info box told you she was skating to the soundtrack of Mandingo, that would raise an eyebrow or two.

briancoogaert
05-01-2012, 08:07 AM
My favorite to be skated to would be : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsryKr3RiU
But I guess you are right : it's difficult for a skater to choose this music considering the film.

aftershocks
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I suppose it's a matter of how it is presented. Imagine you are sitting on your couch watching the U.S. Nationals on television next year. ( Wouldn't that be great? ) Alissa Czisny is introduced and she skates out to center ice and takes her position. The information box pops up and tells you she is skating to "Sacrifice" by Maurice Jarre. You wouldn't think much of it.
But if the info box told you she was skating to the soundtrack of Mandingo, that would raise an eyebrow or two.

:rofl: -- Cultural/ recent and past historical references aside, I must check out both of these pieces of music!

My favorite to be skated to would be : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsryKr3RiU
But I guess you are right : it's difficult for a skater to choose this music considering the film.

Oh gosh, that instrumental version is so lovely and heartbreaking, especially as it recalls Heath Ledger's poignant and remarkable performance, as well as his untimely death a couple of years after BBM debuted.

Maybe a skater might choose this music and have the info box read: "Selections from composer, Gustavo Santaolalla." But surely it can't be as bad to the extent, God forbid that the title is even referenced!?

Oh well, I guess Polymer Bob already made that point. :shuffle:

Jayar
05-01-2012, 06:25 PM
A pairs team skated to this at US Nationals a couple of years back.

kirkbiggestfan
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Weir is the one who comes to mind!

aftershocks
05-01-2012, 07:07 PM
^^ But somehow I don't quite see Johnny in the role of a cowboy. Sure he could perform to this music. I'd like to see Jeremy or Adam skate to it. :) Even Dornbush might try it as an ironic contrast to his fp of this past season. But Ricky will probably be moving on to something quite different, and I hope successful for him.

Jayar, do you remember who the pairs team was that skated to this music?

essence_of_soy
05-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Similarly, just as THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyknjlWJSM) is a fun piece of music that would be great backing for a short program, I can't see it ever being used.

Polymer Bob
05-07-2012, 09:43 PM
^^ But somehow I don't quite see Johnny in the role of a cowboy.

No doubt, that would be an interesting costume. :scream:

Proustable
05-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Think a ladies skater would tackle it?

Sasha'sSpins
05-14-2012, 04:49 AM
I wonder if most fans would even know or care about the subject matter of the movie music their listening to. It's a wonderful piece and it's a shame no top flight skater seems to have used it.