PDA

View Full Version : The Matt Savoie Appreciation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

aemeraldrainc
04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I had tried to start one before, but didn't get a response.
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81123

About time, no?

paskatefan
04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Matt has always been one of my favorite US men's skaters. With all due respect to Mike Weiss (whom I like), I felt Matt should have made the Olympic team in 2002. When Todd opted not to go to Worlds that season, my first thought was, "Oh, I hope that means Matt will get to go!" I was so thrilled that Matt did make the Olympic team in 2006.

I'm not sure if we actually got to see Matt compete @ 1998 US Nationals. We were there, but was he able to compete back then, or did he have an injury? Back then was he still a junior, or was he skating on the senior level?

aftershocks
04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
You didn't get a response! Unbelievable. Matt has so often been mentioned favorably in other threads. Thanks for trying again to start a tribute thread for Matt, aemeraldrainc!

In the underrated skaters thread, I had mentioned that Matt deserved his own thread. Here is part of my post about Matt Savoie from that thread:

I will always associate Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings with this performance from Matt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0 2005 Nats sp

Matt was so undermarked and so underrated -- he should have been scored in 5.7 - 5.9 range for technique and 5.9 - 6.0 for presentation and been in first place. Many youtube posters give Matt fine tributes and rip the judging. One post tho' which mentions that skaters placed before Matt had quads, except for Johnny, are absolutely incorrect. Evan Lysacek did not have a quad in 2005, but he was placed ahead of Matt, incredibly. The 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and 5.1 !?, marks for Matt for this performance are absolutely shameful and disgraceful.

Fortunately, Matt did not allow the disrespect from the judges and his own Federation to dissuade him from continuing to pursue his goals.

Matt was an elegant, understated skater, and I believe his personality is also elegant and understated. What peerless and sublime transitions he exhibited on and off the ice, during and after his skating career:

Matt Savoie graduated summa cum laude from Bradley University in 2002, with a major in political science and a minor in biology. He went on to earn his master's degree in urban planning from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2005 and received the AICP Outstanding Graduate Student Award for 2005. He was admitted to the law school at Cornell University in 2005, but obtained a deferral for a year to focus on making the Olympic team. He joined the program in September 2006, and graduated in 2009. Following his competitive career, Matt completed a four-year term as the athlete representative to the Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee of the International Skating Union. He is currently working as an associate in the law firm of Choate Hall & Stewart. (Wikipedia)

Hopefully, others will post their memories about Matt and links to favorite performances. Thanks again, aemeraldrainc!

aftershocks
04-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Matt has always been one of my favorite US men's skaters. With all due respect to Mike Weiss (whom I like), I felt Matt should have made the Olympic team in 2002. When Todd opted not to go to Worlds that season, my first thought was, "Oh, I hope that means Matt will get to go!" I was so thrilled that Matt did make the Olympic team in 2006.

I'm not sure if we actually got to see Matt compete @ 1998 US Nationals. We were there, but was he able to compete back then, or did he have an injury? Back then was he still a junior, or was he skating on the senior level?

I checked Wikipedia, paskatefan, which indicates that Matt placed 4th at U.S. Nationals in 1999, and he competed at Junior Worlds that same season and placed 4th. Also, Matt was first in Juniors at 1997 U.S. Nationals, and he placed 11th at senior U.S. Nationals in 1998. I remember thinking when I first saw Matt at senior Nationals early in his career (probably in 1999, the year he placed 4th), that he was going to become the next great U.S. champion, but for some reason the timing was never right for him, nor did he receive the full appreciation he deserved.

paskatefan
04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Then we did get to see him! Thanks!

museksk8r
04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
You didn't get a response! Unbelievable. Matt has so often been mentioned favorably in other threads. Thanks for trying again to start a tribute thread for Matt, aemeraldrainc!

In the underrated skaters thread, I had mentioned that Matt deserved his own thread. Here is part of my post about Matt Savoie from that thread:

I will always associate Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings with this performance from Matt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0 2005 Nats sp

Matt was so undermarked and so underrated -- he should have been scored in 5.7 - 5.9 range for technique and 5.9 - 6.0 for presentation and been in first place. Many youtube posters give Matt fine tributes and rip the judging. One post tho' which mentions that skaters placed before Matt had quads, except for Johnny, are absolutely incorrect. Evan Lysacek did not have a quad in 2005, but he was placed ahead of Matt, incredibly. The 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and 5.1 !?, marks for Matt for this performance are absolutely shameful and disgraceful.

Even as far back as 2005, the judges had an inexplicable love fest with Evan Lysacek, who actually was gifted a 6.0 for artistic impression in the SP of the same competition as this beautiful performance from Savoie. In what bizarre alternate universe should this performance by Lysacek ever be worthy of a 6.0? Everything about his performance qualities here are of a juniorish and immature quality, IMO. :confused::blah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWdSzNdiZE and http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200405/uschamps/seniormen-short.htm The fix was in very early in the career of Evan Lysacek. No wonder a skater has so many opportunities for success when he has such blatant favoritism from his federation. :rolleyes:

Matt's marks, on the other hand, are criminally low here; deplorable judging that in my mind should result in a ban from every judge on the panel of this event.

DickButtonFan
04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
He's was so talented, I had the honor of meeting him and his coach one time, very nice people. Loved his entry into the 3A, great transitions.

manleywoman
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Matt was so underrated by judges. My :sekret: tell me (though again, don't know how accurate this is) that he was told many times to move to a place where he could have a more politically-astute coaching situation, but he refused. Good on him for staying loyal and making the Oly team anyway.

He should have National champ at least once. I remember Johnny Weir during a press conference after an SP that he didn't deserve to be in first after the SP and that "some other skaters" performed better.

Would love to interview him for the podcast.

Lanie
04-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I really miss Matt's skating. Never was judged fairly at all. It sucked.

Triple Butz
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Even as far back as 2005, the judges had an inexplicable love fest with Evan Lysacek, who actually was gifted a 6.0 for artistic impression in the SP of the same competition as this beautiful performance from Savoie. In what bizarre alternate universe should this performance by Lysacek ever be worthy of a 6.0? Everything about his performance qualities here are of a juniorish and immature quality, IMO. :confused::blah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWdSzNdiZE and http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200405/uschamps/seniormen-short.htm The fix was in very early in the career of Evan Lysacek. No wonder a skater has so many opportunities for success when he has such blatant favoritism from his federation. :rolleyes:

Matt's marks, on the other hand, are criminally low here; deplorable judging that in my mind should result in a ban from every judge on the panel of this event.

Totally agree. I've said it before, but I think Matt's career would have been vastly different if it had been moved ahead five or six years. Yes, he competed under CoP, but he was just slightly past his prime (in terms of jump consistency) and had already been labeled an "almost boy" by the judges. His intricate choreography, inventive jump entrances, and flowing steps no doubt influenced many skaters that came after him. He was a skater totally built for CoP before CoP existed. I certainly think every single aspect of his skating is far superior to the current Olympic champ's, and in his prime he was consistently delivering 8 triple programs. So, it's not a stretch to think that under different circumstances he could be a World or Olympic Champ. Regardless of his gold medal-less resume, Matt was a wonderful skater who represented the US well time and time again, and I will always remember him.

skatesindreams
04-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Matt was so underrated by judges. My :sekret: tell me (though again, don't know how accurate this is) that he was told many times to move to a place where he could have a more politically-astute coaching situation, but he refused. Good on him for staying loyal and making the Oly team anyway.

He should have National champ at least once. I remember Johnny Weir during a press conference after an SP that he didn't deserve to be in first after the SP and that "some other skaters" performed better.

Agree with all the above!
Have you contacted him?
I would be so happy if he did a podcast!

My thoughts, from the other thread:

I was in the arena for 2005 Nationals.
I watched Matt's SP - the "Adagio" as tears streamed down my face.
An unforgettable privilege.

Cheylana
04-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Matt was my special favorite when he was competing. I think he was a forerunner to Jeremy Abbott (my current special favorite) in his body movement, interpretation, intricate choreo, etc.

My favorite Matt moment was his 2006 Nationals freeskate. Beautiful performance, and what a privilege to see it live and to feel the crowd fully behind him. :wuzrobbed:

Now he's a corporate raiding attorney in Boston (http://www.choate.com/people/matthew-savoie). Doesn't he look handsome in his suit and glasses? :)

shine
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh please do!!! He has to be one of the most private/introverted/low profile skaters there ever was, yet hugely fascinating. Would love, love, LOVE to hear about him talk about his skating career and life in general.

Now he's a corporate raiding attorney in Boston (http://www.choate.com/people/matthew-savoie). Doesn't he look handsome in his suit and glasses? :)
He's always had a huge :swoon: factor for me, not just in terms of skating. Loved those dark curls :D

skatesindreams
04-27-2012, 05:03 PM
manleywoman, his contact information is available in the link above, as well.

skateboy
04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Matt may be the most underscored skater ever.