PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

PDilemma
06-23-2012, 04:48 PM
No, I would think that way too. My daughter is not engaged yet. But, the other day we were talking and I said she should consider getting married (when the time comes) in the fall. In the spring, people have so many weddings and the weather is so questionable. September/October, not s many weddings. so fewer conflicts for guests, it's easier to find a venue, and the weather is usually more predictable. Well, we won't think about this past Halloween :scream:!

Around here, people try to avoid fall weddings or schedule them very carefully around the college football schedule. I've been to a few early fall weddings and knew I would not even consider it as guests and groomsmen wandering around with headphones to listen to football and score announcements and a reception where all the men, half the women and sometimes the groom are gathered around a television would not have been cool.

skatesindreams
06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Check the listing - if the seller doesn't offer proof - which they should - the item may or/may not be authentic.
Ask questions; and get answers before you bid.

ETA:
eBay has discussion boards about authenticity of designer items; and a buyer protection/dispute procedure.
It is against eBay policy to sell "fake" designer items as genuine.

Anita18
06-23-2012, 07:12 PM
For ebay bidders: How do you know if the shoes are authentic? I'm asking because I'm doing shoe shopping on Ebay
thx
I always read the feedback, especially if they're a seller that usually sells designer shoes. I figure that people bargain-shopping for designer shoes on ebay know what they're looking for. :)

Also, pictures. I especially wouldn't bid on a listing that was obviously out of a seller's house (ie, not a professional ebay seller) that didn't have pictures of the label. Sure it could be faked, but not many people bother or know how to use Photoshop. :lol:

Anita18
06-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Opinions on menswear now. My fiance is short and super-skinny and not many stores carry his size (36R in a tailored/slim fit) in the style we want. We're actually looking for something light blue in a summer weight. At first I was looking for seersucker, but frankly that may be asking for too much. :lol: Plus seersucker is incredibly stripey up close, so eh.

Part of me wants to go for this (http://r.ebay.com/e7qf4G) for kicks, and I think he may pull it off for our wedding. But we plan on having him wear the new suit for someone ELSE'S wedding in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if that'll fly. :lol:

jlai
06-24-2012, 01:41 AM
ETA:
eBay has discussion boards about authenticity of designer items; and a buyer protection/dispute procedure.
It is against eBay policy to sell "fake" designer items as genuine.

I always read the feedback, especially if they're a seller that usually sells designer shoes. I figure that people bargain-shopping for designer shoes on ebay know what they're looking for. :)

Also, pictures. I especially wouldn't bid on a listing that was obviously out of a seller's house (ie, not a professional ebay seller) that didn't have pictures of the label. Sure it could be faked, but not many people bother or know how to use Photoshop. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Aceon6
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Opinions on menswear now. My fiance is short and super-skinny and not many stores carry his size (36R in a tailored/slim fit) in the style we want. We're actually looking for something light blue in a summer weight. At first I was looking for seersucker, but frankly that may be asking for too much. :lol: Plus seersucker is incredibly stripey up close, so eh.

Part of me wants to go for this (http://r.ebay.com/e7qf4G) for kicks, and I think he may pull it off for our wedding. But we plan on having him wear the new suit for someone ELSE'S wedding in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if that'll fly. :lol:

Brooks Brothers or J Press! Pricey, but they're great suits and won't let him walk out if it doesn't fit.

cruisin
06-25-2012, 02:58 PM

I would stick with black or dark grey. Only because he will get much more use out of it. For me, I would spend more on his suit. But get something classic, have it tailored and he'll wear it for years. Brooks Brothers is a good place to look, but if you can wait for a sale. JCrew had nice suits, they are sold as separates. So, if he needs different size top/bottom, that can work well. They also tailor. You could wait for a great department store sale. If he is skinny, Theory would be your best fit, but it is $$$ full price. Are you near any outlet centers? Theory does have outlets.

myhoneyhoney
06-25-2012, 07:01 PM
I agree with Cruisin, pay more for something classic and tailored to him that can ha worn for different occasions for several years. It'll be worth it specially if his sizes are hard to find. If all else fails there's always the Men's Warehouse.

Anita18
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
I would stick with black or dark grey. Only because he will get much more use out of it. For me, I would spend more on his suit. But get something classic, have it tailored and he'll wear it for years. Brooks Brothers is a good place to look, but if you can wait for a sale. JCrew had nice suits, they are sold as separates. So, if he needs different size top/bottom, that can work well. They also tailor. You could wait for a great department store sale. If he is skinny, Theory would be your best fit, but it is $$$ full price. Are you near any outlet centers? Theory does have outlets.
We traipsed down to the LA Fashion District yesterday (usually not up his alley but I assured him it would be safe in daytime :lol: ) and got a suit at an outlet store that only stocks suits, sportscoats, shirts, and ties. It's the kind of place where a guy can walk in and the sales guy and owner can tell his suit/shirt size by looking at him. :rofl: They got it right too!

It's at the recommended tailor's now (also hilariously not up his alley - tiny hole in the wall with barely a storefront, but he was game), but I believe it's this one (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dkny-suit-vintage-medium-grey-stripe-slim-fit?ID=642568&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results). It's the kind of gray that goes with any color, and I imagine he can wear it to anything, so I think he'll get some serious mileage out of it. The sales guy was also really honest about fit, and agreed that that one fit him best so the tailoring wouldn't be complicated.

And he's getting it TAILORED (something tailored for the first time ever!) so he will look HAWT! :psoty: :cheer:

We walked out with said suit, a silk tie (although I still might be making him a tie for our wedding, cause tie designs are sooo boring!), and a shirt for just over $200. :cool: Tailoring was also estimated to be $40, not bad.

Anita18
06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I agree with Cruisin, pay more for something classic and tailored to him that can ha worn for different occasions for several years. It'll be worth it specially if his sizes are hard to find. If all else fails there's always the Men's Warehouse.
We did try Jos A Bank and Men's Wearhouse first, but there was nothing that wasn't black or dark grey in his size, and we were looking for something lighter. Well, there was really barely anything at all in his size! We seriously wondered where all the skinny hipsters got their suits, and we guessed Fashion District so I did a bit of research. :)

skatesindreams
06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Anita18, that looks great!

barbk
06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Nice, classic look that should wear very well.

vesperholly
06-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Great pick, Anita! I bet he'll look fabulous. Well-dressed men in suits :grope: :swoon:

cruisin
06-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Great suit! Hope he enjoys it :)

myhoneyhoney
06-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Presenting the shrug (http://www.marie-may.com/2012/06/shrug.html) that I was supposed to wear to my friends wedding. I ♥ it!