PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

my little pony
04-29-2012, 04:26 AM
And strapless is really not as flattering on as many body types as the people selling the dresses would have you believe.

99% of the girls on say yes to the dress get strapless and 99% of them look like kielbasa

IceAlisa
04-29-2012, 05:08 AM
99% of the girls on say yes to the dress get strapless and 99% of them look like kielbasa

Words of wisdom right there. I thought Kate Middleton had slayed the strapless dragon with her wedding gown.

myhoneyhoney
04-29-2012, 05:55 AM
myhoneyhoney, is all of that knitting yours? WOW!

Yes, I'm a yarnie. :D

PRlady
04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
That turned out well, though it's too bad you had spend so much frustrating time in the stores first. What's the dress like?

Thin, crepe-y fabric, empire cut, beautiful pastel floral print in muted blues, greens and pinks, elbow-length transparent sleeves. I told her to go buy new shoes on my credit card.

And I love demolishing stereotypes. Myhoneyhoney, you look like a prom queen, not a knitter. ;)

cruisin
04-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Yes, I'm a yarnie. :D

I'm so jealous! I can crochet, but never learned to knit. You are really good!

Yes, I would say that 60% of the time I am :confused: with the bride's choices on that show. The only advantage with a wedding gown being strapless, is that there is probably corseting and it will stay up better than an off the rack dress. That said, a person like me, who has no curves, would never be able to keep the dress up (even with boning). You need hips for that :lol:.

I love that show though! One of my guilty pleasures. The best part is the relationships between the bride, her mother, and her entourage. The Beverly Hills version, is not so great, though.

skatesindreams
04-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Thin, crepe-y fabric, empire cut, beautiful pastel floral print in muted blues, greens and pinks, elbow-length transparent sleeves. I told her to go buy new shoes on my credit card.

And I love demolishing stereotypes. Myhoneyhoney, you look like a prom queen, not a knitter. ;)

That dress sounds lovely!
Knitters fit no stereotypes. (I'm a "yarnie", too.)

IceAlisa
04-29-2012, 04:34 PM
That would look AMAZING on you. Try it on!

I ordered the coppery sequiny Trina Turk short dress -- I'm a true autumn and it's hard to find great dresses in that color range. Will report.

Another good tip: there's a lot of lace out there now and it's a very forgiving fabric. (Unlike satin or jersey, it just rides over the bumps rather than accentuating them.) I bought this dress: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/clothes-dress-fitflare/24242232.jsp at Anthropologie for work and really love it.

Love the black lace. I've been looking for one myself. The Trina Turk is tres sexy. And thanks, guess I could order the strapless to try it on and see if it stays put. Don't really have much boobage to hold that thing up although it stays up on the model and I have as much as she does, at least.

Evilynn
04-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, I would say that 60% of the time I am :confused: with the bride's choices on that show. The only advantage with a wedding gown being strapless, is that there is probably corseting and it will stay up better than an off the rack dress. That said, a person like me, who has no curves, would never be able to keep the dress up (even with boning). You need hips for that :lol:.

If it's a real corset and you don't mind tight lacing a bit, they'll stay up for hell or high water (I've got big boobs and no hips to speak of, and corsets can glue anything to me), but I suppose risking fainting while walking down the aisle might not be worth it. ;)

Wyliefan
04-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Words of wisdom right there. I thought Kate Middleton had slayed the strapless dragon with her wedding gown.

That was my hope. I guess it takes more than one bride to get a trend changed these days.

Thin, crepe-y fabric, empire cut, beautiful pastel floral print in muted blues, greens and pinks, elbow-length transparent sleeves.

Sounds pretty!

cruisin
04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Love the black lace. I've been looking for one myself. The Trina Turk is tres sexy. And thanks, guess I could order the strapless to try it on and see if it stays put. Don't really have much boobage to hold that thing up although it stays up on the model and I have as much as she does, at least.

If you don't have a lot of boobage, that dress should work for you. It's a heavier weight knit fabric (and is lined, if I remember correctly). And the horizontal seams keep it in place. It's not a dress for me, with big floppy boobage :lol:. But, if you are like the model, it could be gorgeous. You might want to check out the lace DVF I linked. It has a very sexy exposed zipper down the back (to the hem!). Found this, I LOVE it! It's not in any stores yet, but you could order direct from Tahari. http://www.elietahari.com/womens-designer-dresses/lolly-dress-lagoon-blue/E48UC602,default,pd.html

If it's a real corset and you don't mind tight lacing a bit, they'll stay up for hell or high water (I've got big boobs and no hips to speak of, and corsets can glue anything to me), but I suppose risking fainting while walking down the aisle might not be worth it. ;)

:lol: Well, that won't be a problem for me, any time soon. Married 30 years, don't think I'm ever going to need a laced up wedding dress.

myhoneyhoney
05-01-2012, 05:42 AM
Thank you, PRLady and cruisin. I actually learned to crochet first since I was afraid of using two, my gosh TWO, needles at the same time. lol Oh and prom queen? Nah, I feel more like a grandma since I tend to like more "old fashioned" things. I will turn 36 in a week so you bet I'm scouring the glamourpuss thread for wrinkle preventative/removers STAT!

IceAlisa
05-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Not to hijack the thread but I've heard Botox will be available in topical application soon for the needlephobes out there.

As to skincare, I go for the pharmaceutical grade stuff like Skin Medica.

My quest for the beach wedding dress continues. I am wimping out on the strapless--I know I will think about it slipping even it's surgically grafted onto me. Corsetry is the only way I wear strapless--probably irrational. And a built-in corset is a bit too much structure for a beach wedding.

Here are the current candidates:

http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/5/4/6/9/4/1546946-p-2x.jpg

http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/5/9/3/4/1/1593418-p-2x.jpg

http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/7/2/3/3/8/1723386-p-2x.jpg

This is going to be a rather conservative (in taste, think NYC where they were black to everything) crowd from the East Coast so the second dress will be an outrage of colors for them. :lol: It would be just right for LA though and makes me think of modern art.

Opinions? I swear I am becoming such a Plastic, can't make my own sartorial decisions anymore. :drama:

myhoneyhoney
05-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Oooooo, I like the 1st one best but the 2nd one would be FUN to wear!

IceAlisa
05-01-2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks, it all depends how they look on me when they come in. Will report back. :)

PRlady
05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Found this, I LOVE it! It's not in any stores yet, but you could order direct from Tahari. http://www.elietahari.com/womens-designer-dresses/lolly-dress-lagoon-blue/E48UC602,default,pd.html

Elie Tahari is my favorite designer; I watch like a vulture waiting for her stuff to go on sale. (I have five of her jackets, they are my wardrobe foundation, and I scored three of them at Filene's, may it rest in peace, and Loehmann's at a huge discount.)

This is what I'm waiting for now: http://www.elietahari.com/womens-designer-clothing/designer-dresses/bethany-dress/E25N1622,default,pd.html?dwvar_E25N1622_color=D3G&start=48&cgid=women-shop-dresses&PathToProduct=women-shop-dresses