PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

cruisin
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
^^ Even if you are the same size, after having kids the dress would probably not fit. I tried my wedding dress on, about a year ago, don't know why (curiosity?). I weigh the same as I did when I got married. I can barely zip the dress past my waist and rib cage. It was loose there when I got married. But after 2 kids...:lol:

skatesindreams
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Sarah, congratulations on finding the dress meant for you!
It will be even lovelier when you are wearing it.

Anita18
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't know how old you are, Sarah, but if you're in your twenties don't be surprised if you drop weight in the last month and need some last-minute alterations.

I sigh when I remember my wedding at age 28, I went from a 6 to a 4 in the last two weeks, and that was before size inflation. I couldn't get my toe into that gown now.
Yeah, this is when I'm very very thankful that my size stays the same no matter what. I dropped almost 10 lbs after having the stomach flu and although my pants sagged on me, I didn't have to buy new ones. I hate having a wardrobe I can't wear, and spending money. :lol:

It's completely genetic. My mom got married at 23, is in her mid-50s now, and still fits into her wedding dress. It's not entirely a good thing - before she hit 50 she was already going through treatment for osteoporosis. :shuffle:

barbk
06-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Congrats on the dress, Sarah.

PRlady
06-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Just a comment that I'm sort of disappointed in the Trina Turk collection for Banana: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=81064&tid=brem005521&EV=BFLEETNC06072012&CD=BNC_BAC&DI=22295869.

Just not my style, I guess. Although I would buy the sun hat when it goes on sale.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Just a comment that I'm sort of disappointed in the Trina Turk collection for Banana: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=81064&tid=brem005521&EV=BFLEETNC06072012&CD=BNC_BAC&DI=22295869.

Just not my style, I guess. Although I would buy the sun hat when it goes on sale.

There were two Pucci-like tops that weren't bad. But, Banana Republic is The Gap, they can screw up anything. Even with Trina Turk designing.

PRlady
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
There were two Pucci-like tops that weren't bad. But, Banana Republic is The Gap, they can screw up anything. Even with Trina Turk designing.

They didn't use to. :confused: Up til this year they were my store for work basics, t-shirts and so on. And with the exception of one well-cut top I bought this year that of course was gone when I went back to get it in another color, what they've got now doesn't fit well and/or is boring and/or badly made.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
They didn't use to. :confused: Up til this year they were my store for work basics, t-shirts and so on. And with the exception of one well-cut top I bought this year that of course was gone when I went back to get it in another color, what they've got now doesn't fit well and/or is boring and/or badly made.

http://magazine.wsj.com/features/the-big-interview/retail-therapist/

Any company that was stupid enough to fire Mickey Drexler, because of a 2 year slump, after what he did for them - yeah, they can screw up anything. The Gap hasn't been the same since they let him go. But, Gap's loss was J.Crew's gain.

As far as fit. That sometimes happens. A brand will redefine their demographic and change their fit. I had that problem with Elie Tahari. I could put on anything Tahari made in my size and it fit like a glove. Now, the fit is too curvy. They decided their demographic had changed, so, I'm out of luck. At least, however, in Tahari's case, they did not change the quality. It is still superior.

An aside, that sort of relates. Liz Claiborne was the darling brand of the 80s and 90s. Claiborne bought up everything they could get their hands on - Ellen Tracey, Adrienne Vitadini, and several other big labels. Unfortunately, once Claiborne took these companies over, they made them over into the "Claiborne" look. Now, none of them are big anymore.

PRlady
06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
http://magazine.wsj.com/features/the-big-interview/retail-therapist/

Any company that was stupid enough to fire Mickey Drexler, because of a 2 year slump, after what he did for them - yeah, they can screw up anything. The Gap hasn't been the same since they let him go. But, Gap's loss was J.Crew's gain.

As far as fit. That sometimes happens. A brand will redefine their demographic and change their fit. I had that problem with Elie Tahari. I could put on anything Tahari made in my size and it fit like a glove. Now, the fit is too curvy. They decided their demographic had changed, so, I'm out of luck. At least, however, in Tahari's case, they did not change the quality. It is still superior.

An aside, that sort of relates. Liz Claiborne was the darling brand of the 80s and 90s. Claiborne bought up everything they could get their hands on - Ellen Tracey, Adrienne Vitadini, and several other big labels. Unfortunately, once Claiborne took these companies over, they made them over into the "Claiborne" look. Now, none of them are big anymore.

I'm impressed you follow the business background so closely. But BR sank recently, long after Drexler left, and I've never been a fan of J Crew. (Their stuff does not hold up in the washer, or so was my experience some years back.)

Ann Taylor almost went under for a period there, their stuff was oversized and crappy. Something happened in the last two years and their stuff is TTS and wearable again.

Boy I wish I could work in fashion. :shuffle:

IceAlisa
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I have a dress I really like from BR. Basic well-cut black dress that can go to work and out. However, it's one of the 2-3 purchases from BR that I've ever made and the one I am truly happy with.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm impressed you follow the business background so closely. But BR sank recently, long after Drexler left, and I've never been a fan of J Crew. (Their stuff does not hold up in the washer, or so was my experience some years back.)

I didn't mean to imply that BR went downhill due to Drexler leaving. Just that, business wise, The Gap has made some major errors in judgement. I have always found J.Crew to be excellent quality. Washes well. Most of their wools and cashmeres are made in the same mill as Loro Piana.

barbk
06-07-2012, 07:43 PM

That zebra tunic top in the third row is awful, and even looks awful on the model. :yikes:

skatesindreams
06-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I wasn't impressed with anything I saw online there.

cruisin
06-07-2012, 10:43 PM
That zebra tunic top in the third row is awful, and even looks awful on the model. :yikes:

I don't mind the shape of it. But the fabric is awful. Not just the print, but the drape and weight of it.

maatTheViking
06-07-2012, 11:08 PM
For my wedding guest dress, I decided to try and find some seperates with a jacked like top, and was very disappointed with the selection in both Nordstrom and Macy's :(

I did like the concept though (thanks cruisin!), and got this dress (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/alex-evenings-skirt-long-tiered?ID=479337&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=#fn=SPECIAL_OCCASIONS%3DDressy Separates%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D10%26ruleId%3D65%26slot Id%3D10), but in a petite so it falls about mid calf (full length is too long, the knee length version was not flattering).

I also ended up ordering this (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tadashi-shoji-crisscross-taffeta-blouse/3258541?origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=1496) online - not quite a jacket, but I hope it lives up to the picture. A lot of the stuff (like this (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/alex-evenings-ruffle-collar-metallic-taffeta-jacket/3286287?origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=860)) was just too ruffely or didn't look dressy enough up close.
I hope I get it in the mail soon! and that I managed to get the right size (I tried on a dress by the same designer, and that sized seemed to fit my upper half) or that it doesn't make me look to matronly :)

I don't know what to wear for shoes, though - will it be too matchy matchy if I try to find some shoes in a colour similar to the top? Should I just try and find some strappy black heels? I have a pair of amazing green peep toe Peter Kaiser that I probably can't wear (too many colours)...