PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Nomad
05-17-2012, 08:40 AM
One last suggestion to Gil-Galad: see how the jacket looks/feels when you are sitting down. Don't base your decision just on what you see when you're standing up.

BittyBug
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM
That's great advice for pants and skirts, too.

Hedwig
05-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Of course there are tailors in Germany. ;)
Mexx makes good suits, IMO, you can go there and then go to a "Änderungsschneiderei" to fit it perfectly. They are not as expensive as real tailors but if someone can recommend a good one, they do the job.

I personally think that suits hide a lot of bad areas.

PRlady
05-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Damn. I went to Nordstrom and met the Diva of Belgrade who brought me dress after dress to try on. Many of them looked great but weren't dressy enough -- the Mad Men/geometric/ architectual look is particularly good on my body.

So after agonizing over the price, I bought a Ted Baker London dress AND the matching jacket. Which are not online anywhere I can find, apparently only a few Nordstroms have them. Way too much money (although going on sale in a month at which time I get 33% back.)

But in a pale puce pinkish-grey, much nicer than it sounds, a structured dress with a portrait neckline, somewhat dropped waist, fits like a glove with no alterations, and on top a nipped-waist jacket in the same material. It makes me look like I have the best hourglass figure ever and will ray-gun you if you disagree....sexy AND powerful as my opinionated shopping friend said.

I'm happy. The 'damn" is because I can't show it to y'all.

skatesindreams
05-19-2012, 10:58 PM
As long as you are happy and feel good in the ensemble, that's what matters.
I'm sure that you will exude confidence at your event.

How wonderful that Nordstrom's will honor the upcoming sale price.

IceAlisa
05-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Damn. I went to Nordstrom and met the Diva of Belgrade who brought me dress after dress to try on. Many of them looked great but weren't dressy enough -- the Mad Men/geometric/ architectual look is particularly good on my body.

So after agonizing over the price, I bought a Ted Baker London dress AND the matching jacket. Which are not online anywhere I can find, apparently only a few Nordstroms have them. Way too much money (although going on sale in a month at which time I get 33% back.)

But in a pale puce pinkish-grey, much nicer than it sounds, a structured dress with a portrait neckline, somewhat dropped waist, fits like a glove with no alterations, and on top a nipped-waist jacket in the same material. It makes me look like I have the best hourglass figure ever and will ray-gun you if you disagree....sexy AND powerful as my opinionated shopping friend said.

You go girl!!!! I am happy for you--this ensemble definitely sounds like it's making you feel beautiful and confident. :kickass: :glamor:

And yes, Nordstrom rocks. They have the best customer service.

star_gazer11
05-20-2012, 02:32 AM
I saw these at Payless (http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat70058&skuId=092561080&productId=70539&lotId=092561&category=&catdisplayName=Womens) and thought of this thread - maybe an option for you, myhoneyhoney?

cruisin
05-20-2012, 03:55 AM

Excellent. But damn is right! I want to see it! You could always take a photo of you in it an link us :)

How wonderful that Nordstrom's will honor the upcoming sale price.

A few stores will do that. A lot depends on creating a good relationship with a sales person. I have pre-pre-pre-sold a few times :lol:

PRlady
05-20-2012, 03:56 AM
I found them! (In Europe, but whatever).

"Techno" dress: http://www.designerclothing.com/womens-designer-dresses-c37/ted-baker-ted-baker-bridod-techno-suit-dress-p290426

Jacket, which is here in a different color: http://fashionfinder.asos.com/womens-Ted-Baker/Ted-Baker---BRIDO---Techno-suit-jacket-951708

The dress without the jacket is structured but body-hugging without being hoochie. With the jacket, it's give-a-speech-to-important-people, so I figure I will actually get more use out of it than from a fluffy event-only dress.

Like I said, I'm happy. But of course now I have a shoe problem. :wall:

cruisin
05-20-2012, 04:17 AM

"Techno" dress: http://www.tedbaker.com/women's/women's_clothing/dresses/93996-techno_suit_dress/detail.aspx

Jacket, which is here in a different color: http://fashionfinder.asos.com/womens-Ted-Baker/Ted-Baker---BRIDO---Techno-suit-jacket-951708

The dress without the jacket is structured but body-hugging without being hoochie. With the jacket, it's give-a-speech-to-important-people, so I figure I will actually get more use out of it than from a fluffy event-only dress.

Great dress! Great jacket! You can even wear that jacket with nice jeans. Black patent peep toe pumps work with practically anything. Nude or metallics would be tough with the color.

Garden Kitty
05-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Lovely PRLady - and those are two pieces that will not go out of style, so even if it's a bit of a splurge, it's something you can use in the future as well.

PRlady
05-20-2012, 04:49 AM
Great dress! Great jacket! You can even wear that jacket with nice jeans. Black patent peep toe pumps work with practically anything. Nude or metallics would be tough with the color.

OH, thank god. I'm not sure what I would have done if you and IA had voted thumbs-down. :lol:

There's something so unusual about the dress, no wonder it's called "techno." Something..futuristic or something about the way the decorative seams work. Maybe that's why all the websites that have it are in London...

Anyway, at least no-one else will be wearing it. :P And I might already own the perfect shoe, will post tomorrow.

IceAlisa
05-20-2012, 07:16 AM

"Techno" dress: http://www.designerclothing.com/womens-designer-dresses-c37/ted-baker-ted-baker-bridod-techno-suit-dress-p290426

GORGEOUS!!!! That's a level 4 dress, seriously. You will be able to wear it a lot and the jacket too. Love the fun lining of the dress. Love the whole look!!!! :cheer2:

cruisin
05-20-2012, 01:36 PM
OH, thank god. I'm not sure what I would have done if you and IA had voted thumbs-down. :lol:

There's something so unusual about the dress, no wonder it's called "techno." Something..futuristic or something about the way the decorative seams work. Maybe that's why all the websites that have it are in London...

Anyway, at least no-one else will be wearing it. :P And I might already own the perfect shoe, will post tomorrow.

They really are great pieces. Love the neckline on the dress! And I love the cut on the jacket!

PRlady
05-20-2012, 02:29 PM
:D

I tried on the dress just now with two pairs of shoes I already own.

One is a grey patent peeptoe, like this except with a strap across the instep (I can't wear pumps): http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sofft-gemini-pumps-leather-peep-toe-for-women~p~4521w/?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Sofft_Gemini_Pumps_-_Leather_Peep_Toe_For_Women&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEB2&codes-processed=true

The other is a dress sandal where the grey/taupe soft bow is exactly the grey shade in this ashes-of-roses dress: http://www.zappos.com/oh-shoes-gail-bronze-metallic-nappa?zfcTest=fw:0.

Thoughts?

And holy moly, I actually have an ashes of roses chiffon scarf with silver beading if I want to wear it.