PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

PRlady
05-16-2012, 07:49 PM
I, too, suddenly have a clothing problem. I will sit my state examination (medicine) next year and always assumed I would be wearing normal white working clothes and a white coat over it. But last week I saw the students who sat the exam this year - and apparently that won't be the case, you are expected to wear a suit! A really fancy one.

But I look horrible in those!

Most of the other girls are blonde and skinny and will really rock some great suits made for skinny people. And the examinations will be conducted by attending physicians and chiefs - which in Germany means by a bunch of chauvinistic blokes who managed to get to the top of the food chain by being all ruthless and everything. So I can't look like the chubby, slightly geeky, Southern European cutie (which would be the normal me).

So far I have never worn a suit, be it trousers and blazer or skirt and blazer, that didn't make me look chubby. They all look somewhat ill-fitted, too. It's a disaster.
I am like 5'6 with big hips (102cm) and just a really prominent derrière, decent chest (94cm) and small-ish waist (65cm).

Any ideas? I know, I could try going on a diet till next year. One of my study buddies proposed that one. But I need to study and less food / chocolate intake will just make me grumpy and not very productive with the whole studying thing. I need help!

Aw. This sounds like a remake of the Bread and Chocolate movie from the 1970s, damn those snobby northern Europeans! :rofl:

You can wear a suit, dear, you just need one with a fitted blazer and a nice A-line skirt. Or, just a top with a lot of volume and detail and a plain black bottom, like this: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1dfd490&deptid=70656&dep=WOMEN&catid=81523&pcat=wear+to+work&cat=Suits+&cattyp=RLE&NOffset=2&x5view=1&pcatid=81190&Ne=4294957900+29+3+596+8+1031+18+1545&SO=0&N=4294934168&Nao=21&PSO=0&bcCat=4&CmCatId=70656|81190|81523.

Aceon6
05-16-2012, 07:55 PM
So far I have never worn a suit, be it trousers and blazer or skirt and blazer, that didn't make me look chubby. They all look somewhat ill-fitted, too. It's a disaster.
I am like 5'6 with big hips (102cm) and just a really prominent derrière, decent chest (94cm) and small-ish waist (65cm).

Any ideas? I know, I could try going on a diet till next year. One of my study buddies proposed that one. But I need to study and less food / chocolate intake will just make me grumpy and not very productive with the whole studying thing. I need help!

I'd look for something sold as separate pieces, then have a tailor tweak it so it's perfect. The secret to looking taller/thinner is to make sure the pants fit perfectly at the hip and fall to exactly 1/2 inch above the floor while you're wearing the shoes you plan to wear. For the jacket, try to find one that does not have a vent or vents in the back, and has narrow lapels. For the fit, make sure it sits correctly on your shoulders and that it doesn't pucker when buttoned. Pick a bright color blouse to pull the focus to your face. I'm sure you'll look great and very well pulled together.

Anita18
05-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I, too, suddenly have a clothing problem. I will sit my state examination (medicine) next year and always assumed I would be wearing normal white working clothes and a white coat over it. But last week I saw the students who sat the exam this year - and apparently that won't be the case, you are expected to wear a suit! A really fancy one.

But I look horrible in those!

Most of the other girls are blonde and skinny and will really rock some great suits made for skinny people. And the examinations will be conducted by attending physicians and chiefs - which in Germany means by a bunch of chauvinistic blokes who managed to get to the top of the food chain by being all ruthless and everything. So I can't look like the chubby, slightly geeky, Southern European cutie (which would be the normal me).

You might need to go the menswear route - find a suit that fits "close enough" and get it tailored to fit you perfectly. If it's supposed to be a fancy affair, fit will be super-important!

madm
05-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Aw. This sounds like a remake of the Bread and Chocolate movie from the 1970s, damn those snobby northern Europeans! :rofl:

You can wear a suit, dear, you just need one with a fitted blazer and a nice A-line skirt. Or, just a top with a lot of volume and detail and a plain black bottom, like this: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1dfd490&deptid=70656&dep=WOMEN&catid=81523&pcat=wear+to+work&cat=Suits+&cattyp=RLE&NOffset=2&x5view=1&pcatid=81190&Ne=4294957900+29+3+596+8+1031+18+1545&SO=0&N=4294934168&Nao=21&PSO=0&bcCat=4&CmCatId=70656|81190|81523.

I like the JC Penney looks for full figured women. Here's a video clip from the Today Show that talks about how to select clothing for plus size women:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmeLWhY_dk

Note that they suggest Lord&Taylor as one of the stores that carries a lot of clothes for bigger women. You can shop all of these stores online if you don't have one nearby.

cruisin
05-16-2012, 10:29 PM

You can wear a suit, you just need to find one that fits right. A tailor will be your best friend! Go dark - black, charcoal, navy. Possibly a fine chalkline pinstripe, but no more than that. A bright colored blouse or jewel neck top would be lovely, just stay away from ruffles. I don't know how to suggest places for you to buy suits, since I am not familiar with German stores.

You can wear a suit, dear, you just need one with a fitted blazer and a nice A-line skirt. Or, just a top with a lot of volume and detail and a plain black bottom, like this: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1dfd490&deptid=70656&dep=WOMEN&catid=81523&pcat=wear+to+work&cat=Suits+&cattyp
=RLE&NOffset=2&x5view=1&pcatid=81190&Ne=4294957900+29+3+596+8+1031+18+1545&SO=0&N=4294934168&Nao=21&PSO=0&bcCat=4&CmCatId=70656|81190|81523.

I think Elie Tahari would be a perfect fit for our Gil-Galad! Wonder if she could find it there.

:fragile: :wuzrobbed :mad:

I tried mine on last night with shapewear. Admittedly bloated from travel, bad food and a mojito. I loved the dress and I am not thin enough to wear it, even with Spanx.

Since I do love it, I'm holding on to it for 10 days to see where I am weight-wise. Even if it's not right for the SF event it is such a nice dress.

So, the Saks dress in the smaller size? ;)

PRlady
05-16-2012, 11:27 PM
So, the Saks dress in the smaller size? ;)

Nope. I'll try it on in a 10 if they have it when I go to return the 12, I figure I'll just go to the store. But I really doubt it. It's just too...old and conservative.

Gil-Galad
05-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Alright - A-line skirt. Bright-coloured top. No ruffles. What length should a skirt have? And is a skirt definitely the better choice, or are there actually suits with trousers that don't make my derrière the most eye-catching part about me? And can a blouse show a little cleavage?

And apparently I should go to a tailor. Are there tailors in Germany? I've never been to a tailor!

Thanks for all the help, you :kickass:!

cruisin
05-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Alright - A-line skirt. Bright-coloured top. No ruffles. What length should a skirt have? And is a skirt definitely the better choice, or are there actually suits with trousers that don't make my derrière the most eye-catching part about me? And can a blouse show a little cleavage?

And apparently I should go to a tailor. Are there tailors in Germany? I've never been to a tailor!

I would say no to cleavage. My son and his girlfriend are just finished their second year of law school. I would say you need the same sort of interview suit. I would go with a skirt first. I would say the hem should hit the top of the knee, no shorter. Or the middle of the knee, no longer. For a jacket Aceon6 makes a good point about the back vents. If you cannot find a jacket without a vent - one, definitely not two. I would say a single breasted front. Do you have J. Crew type stores in Germany (Does J. Crew ship overseas?)? They have really nice suiting. The advantage is that they are suits, but are sold as separates (makes it easier if you're a different size top and bottom). Plus they are more affordable for young adults entering the workforce. They also do a nice sleeveless suiting dress to wear with the suiting jacket. eliminating the need for a blouse and no waistband.
http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/dresses/PRDOVR~24155/24155.jsp http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/super120s.jsp

myhoneyhoney
05-17-2012, 01:20 AM
I really like jcrew. Their clothes are classics and versatile!

Now for the nude Jessica Simpson pumps... they're getting more comfy. I like them so much I'm not giving up. I'm thinking, can leather shoes be heat molded to my feet like my figure skates :D

Anita18
05-17-2012, 01:27 AM
I really like jcrew. Their clothes are classics and versatile!

Now for the nude Jessica Simpson pumps... they're getting more comfy. I like them so much I'm not giving up. I'm thinking, can leather shoes be heat molded to my feet like my figure skates :D
Pfft, if they're leather, of course! If they're synthetic, they actually won't stretch as much.

I even got shoe stretchers (http://www.taylorgifts.com/item/SHOE_STRETCHER/32258?src=FRGL0406&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=32258) to stretch out the balls of dress shoes, because I certainly don't need them stretched anywhere else. :P

Nomad
05-17-2012, 02:14 AM

I would also recommend that the jacket end mid-hip. (Anything longer than that will make your derrière look bigger than it actually is.) Ideally the jacket will emphasize the narrowest part of you - a jacket that is cut like this one (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/jacketsblazers/dressy/PRD~833238/212+Collection+Solid+Blazer.jsp) will be more flattering than one that is cut straight up and down. Avoid jackets with pocket flaps or other details that will bring attention to the hip area.

cruisin
05-17-2012, 03:09 AM
^^ your link pulls up an error page. I agree with your suggestions, however :)

Lacey
05-17-2012, 03:27 AM
I vote for Nordstrom. Just spent a short afternoon there with DIL. The salesperson found certain dresses in other colors, stuff that had been ordered on line and was returned in-store. One minor complaint was that we went home overnight to think and found dress was half price on-line, so of course they adjusted when we brought it up. Also, their departments in our store run into each other so that petites are right next to regulars, but we finally got the hang of it. Good sale stuff too. Finally, their return policy is fab, does not expire.

Just remembered, Nordstrom is about to have their annual sale, starts next week, I believe, and perhaps can be previewed this week, ask about it.

Of course, Bloomies has a sale practically every other week.

Nomad
05-17-2012, 03:34 AM
^ I've linked to another, similar jacket.

cruisin
05-17-2012, 04:18 AM
^ I've linked to another, similar jacket.

Thanks. Perfect cut!