PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

skatesindreams
05-12-2012, 10:21 PM
The most I have ever spent on a dress is $68. :shuffle: I just came back from a visit to a consignment shop and found a cute little sheath dress by Ann Taylor. I asked the saleslady if she thought it was too short, and she said, "honey, when I was your age, I wore shorter dresses AND I was riding a motorcycle!" :rofl:

The price was $10. SOLD. :rofl: I'll have to see if I can find a photo online.

Love the story; and would like to see the dress!

cruisin
05-12-2012, 11:27 PM
I love all those cute platform pumps, but I am terrified I'd do a face plant in them. I bought a pair via the web in nude (with a stacked heel I've learned). They are too big. And my husband threw away the box so I can't return them. I ordered my size, but I guess you have to go small in those type of shoes?

Platform pumps and wedges are much easier to walk in than regular pumps and non-platform wedges. The heel to ball of foot difference is much less, and they are more stable. I never wore heels when I was younger, they made me feel huge. After I hit 50, I stopped caring that heels made me 6'2". So, I never really learned to walk in heels until I got old! If I can do it (being someone who walks into walls) you can do it! :)

Cruisin has excellent taste in dresses

Thank you, so much! You made my day!

I am medium height, long waisted and have stumpy little legs. Where is everyone with no legs??

I have the opposite problem, my legs are too long. High boots, that are supposed to hit at the knee, hit me about 2" below. So, they start tapering 2" below where my leg starts tapering. makes me look like I have two calfs :lol:.

Pants are never long enough. And if they are, they taper in the wrong place. Also, I have muscular legs from walking 3 miles a day. And I have no hips. Consequently, I need a bigger size for my legs than my hips. And my pants don't stay up. I walk around pulling them up all day :lol:. It's so attractive! I an only wear high waisted pants and jeans, for some reason they are cut narrower in the hip/butt area.

And my arms are too long for most sleeves. One of the reasons I wind up buying more expensive things is that they are usually better with length.

One huge advantage in being this tall - I am very popular with the little old ladies in grocery stores! I can reach anything! :lol:

BittyBug
05-12-2012, 11:49 PM
That's not a true empire waist, it's a little lower. It's low enough that it should not look maternity.I am tempted to try it. The thought of a comfy breezy jersey dress on a super hot summer day is quite appealing. There's something to be said for ventilation when the weather reaches wilting temps.

cruisin
05-13-2012, 01:18 AM
I am tempted to try it. The thought of a comfy breezy jersey dress on a super hot summer day is quite appealing. There's something to be said for ventilation when the weather reaches wilting temps.

Absolutely! You should try it. The worst that happens is you return it. Does Garnet Hill have actual stores? It's so much easier when you can return to a store instead of having to UPS or FedEx it back. But, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The waist on that dress is between an empire and a natural waist, and it does not have a lot of gathering. I think it will be very flattering. :)

I went to Lululemon with my daughter yesterday. I'm not really into their work out wear. I am CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP, for things like that. I work out at home and power walk outside, I'm not trying to impress anyone, just stay healthy. Anyway, my daughter needed some things for teaching and I went with her. I picked up 2 tops that are going to be great for summer outdoor power walking. Tanks with a fitted bodice and a loose, blousey midriff. They will be great, because the top is minimal and the bottom of it will allow for air flow. So, yes, I get the ventilation thing :)!

It's funny, I know women who will spend a fortune on under garments. Like $175 on a bra, $25 on a pair of panties! But they are frugal with clothing. I would never spend a lot on underwear. Mine fits, doesn't have holes, and is clean (incase i ever go to a hospital :lol:). But who cares what I wear under my clothes, no one sees it! Calvin Klein micro fiber panties 3 for $20 at Woodbury Commons outlet store! And they last for years (like 5 to 10 years)!

mkats
05-13-2012, 03:08 AM
Love the story; and would like to see the dress!

Here's the only picture (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0AaVYiB4e4M/TW2exunXxpI/AAAAAAAAA-A/0tkIS8ijChQ/062.JPG) I could find of it online, on some random person's blog :lol: and a closeup of the front (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-knBf1QOPWWI/TW2e0xt6p8I/AAAAAAAAA-E/pJSkq0WpOkw/064.JPG), without the flower pin. Maybe it's not really a sheath dress? I am very new to all this dress-related vocabulary but have been following this thread with interest... :)

Now I just need a fun girls' day out to wear it to!

PRlady
05-13-2012, 03:42 AM
It's not quite a sheath dress because it flares out more at the bottom, but that's getting pretty technical. It sure is nice for $10! :lol:

And I'm laughing at cruisin's thrifty underwear story. I love Natori underwear and the day I pay $23 for one pair of panties, please lock me away. I find it at Nordstrom Rack and other discounters for $7 or so, which is still too much, but the material is so comfortable and it fits my funny figure just right.

Garnet Hill doesn't have stores. But I sent back the v-neck jersey dress (it will look lovely on all of you with normal-size chests, not on me unfortunately) and it was very easy, they're one of the print-out-label and send back for free from USPS or UPS places.

Anita18
05-13-2012, 05:54 AM
It's funny, I know women who will spend a fortune on under garments. Like $175 on a bra, $25 on a pair of panties! But they are frugal with clothing. I would never spend a lot on underwear. Mine fits, doesn't have holes, and is clean (incase i ever go to a hospital :lol:). But who cares what I wear under my clothes, no one sees it! Calvin Klein micro fiber panties 3 for $20 at Woodbury Commons outlet store! And they last for years (like 5 to 10 years)!
If you are a hard-to-find size and need the support, you will pay whatever to get it! My friend is a 30F (she actually measured a 29 - talk about a teeny frame!) and got a sports bra at the lingerie store for $80. I was like :eek: and so was she, at first, but dammit she finally found something that fit and she was happy she wouldn't have to wear two sports bras at a time anymore! :lol:

skatesindreams
05-13-2012, 03:10 PM
mkats, thanks for the pictures of your new "find".
I'm sure you will look lovely wearing it!

made_in_canada
05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Okay, style gurus. I'm going to convocation for my best friend in a couple of weeks and have no idea what's appropriate attire. It's the early ceremony (9:30 am) and I live in a fairly casual city but I feel like I should dress up a bit. Ideas?

skatesindreams
05-13-2012, 06:26 PM
A nice daytime dress, appropriate for your climate, would be fine.

Christina
05-14-2012, 01:22 AM
:lol: Where do you live, Christina? All I have to do is come back to Philly to realize that some part of taste is geographical, even Nordstrom Rack has a totally different selection here than in DC. And then, you're right, living clothes hangers like cruisin and cute lil things like IA and mhh have a whole different set of parameters for shopping.

I'm in Central Florida. We don't have fancy stores like Nordstrom Rack. We do have the Mall at Millenia which has all those stores you guys have been mentioning. We went there yesterday to the Apple store. I found Teavana and spent $79 on teas.

That's me too. I'm all body, short legs. The only thing that saves me is I'm tall enough (5'7) that even though the proportions are off I can usually manage to not look too weird.

I'm 5'7" as well, but my legs are the length of my BFF who is several inches shorter than me. Empire waist dresses don't look too bad, but even regular dresses look like they are too short in the skirt because the waist is too high! Add to that my pear shape, and Spanx are my best friend.

I think I am making up for all of those years when i couldn't find clothes that fit. It's tough being an obese child and teenager, and having to wear old lady clothes. Plus sized clothes are more stylish now, but back in the '60s & '70s it was awful.

Me too, a little bit. I used to be about 100 pounds heavier than I am now. Of course I was 50 pounds lighter than I am now a few years ago. I'm right at that weird "doesn't wear a plus but a misses 18 doesn't fit right" size. Oh, how I recall being a size 16 teenager, being convinced that I was huge, and having no access to plus size clothing that was the least bit fashionable. Add in the florescent trend, stirrup pants and big hair, and I was a disaster in the mid to late 80's.

I would never spend a lot on underwear. Mine fits, doesn't have holes, and is clean (incase i ever go to a hospital :lol:). But who cares what I wear under my clothes, no one sees it!

I won't spend a lot on my underwear, but bras are a whole different ball of wax. I've got big hooters and need well constructed bras. Even when I wore a size 12, and was a 38DD, I shopped at Lane Bryant for bras. They are very well made and were only about $40 regular price.

PRlady
05-14-2012, 02:02 AM
I just returned from a mother's day party at my cousin's. It was fun, especially because after three days with mom I definitely needed some additiional company.

This particular cousin and I have always had a spiky relationship, we're the same age but oh do we have different personalities. Come to find out we bonded over moisturizers and cosmetic procedures, real and contemplated. The joys of sisterhood in one's fifties. :rofl:

My cousin's daughter is 29 and about to be a beautiful woman. Isn't it funny how some women don't really become themselves til they're older. But I wanted to tell her that when you're top-heavy with skinny legs, a black empire dress cut down to the breastbone is not the best choice.

I am usually not this conscious of it all....this thread is making me even shallower. :drama:

cruisin
05-14-2012, 02:57 AM
If you are a hard-to-find size and need the support, you will pay whatever to get it! My friend is a 30F (she actually measured a 29 - talk about a teeny frame!) and got a sports bra at the lingerie store for $80. I was like :eek: and so was she, at first, but dammit she finally found something that fit and she was happy she wouldn't have to wear two sports bras at a time anymore! :lol:

I am a hard to fit size. 30DD is not easy to find. I will spend a bit more on a bra, for fit. But, if there is a $40 bra that fits and a prettier $80 bra that fits - give me the $40 bra - more to spend on a blouse!

vesperholly
05-14-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm right at that weird "doesn't wear a plus but a misses 18 doesn't fit right" size.

I am, too. I've found that women's 18s fit me pretty well. I get jeans at Avenue and I love them. They're cheap (I think I paid under $40 for four pairs), stylish and seem to hold up decently. I don't think I'll get more than two years out of them, but very serviceable.

My problem with plus sizes is that in addition to being fat, I'm a petite pear shape. So my chest is small (40/42B, a size unheard of to man or mortal), my arms are short and my feet are small. I get pants at plus size stores, but tops at straight size stores because the arm holes and shoulder widths are huge on me.

When I was measured for my bridesmaid's dress in January, I was an 18 chest, 20 waist and 24 hip. :rofl: I ordered a 20 because the stupid bint wouldn't let me order an 18 like I wanted. Of course it was huge and I had to get it taken in quite a bit.

mkats, I'm cheap too. Mostly by necessity, and also by lifestyle - where on earth would I wear a $300 dress? My workplace is massively casual, and I have several serviceable (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/24077_377458882355_804532355_3498994_1264629_n.jpg ) basic (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5489_687834377464_23312017_40189623_886163_n.jpg) dresses (https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208_565136085824_23312017_36580538_2958_n.jpg) for fancy occasions. I understand though, because a few years ago I lost about 80 lbs (down to a size 10) and became much more interested and spendy about my clothes. I can aaaaalmost zip up that last dress with the gray top, which I love.

My latest bargain find was this dress for $9 (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/580592_10100556470126358_15700479_48270274_8461972 96_n.jpg) (far right). I found it on fatshionistaxchange.livejournal.com. :cheer2:

BittyBug
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
vesperholly - you are absolutely adorable!