PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

cruisin
05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
And thanks for the music suggestion, barbk. I wish they had an IPod dock but they only have an old-fashioned stereo and not many CDs.

You could probably get her one, for very little $$. Is she able to have one? And I want to second, how lovely that you got to make your Mom so happy with your shopping trip.

Christina
05-12-2012, 02:42 PM
I have learned multiple things in this thread:

I am cheap. $300 for a dress would just about kill me, I think.

I love all those cute platform pumps, but I am terrified I'd do a face plant in them. I bought a pair via the web in nude (with a stacked heel I've learned). They are too big. And my husband threw away the box so I can't return them. I ordered my size, but I guess you have to go small in those type of shoes?

Cruisin has excellent taste in dresses, but she is tall and slender, unlike me. Myhoneyhoney and IceAlisa are both petite with cute figures. I share more in taste with PRLady than anyone else.

I am medium height, long waisted and have stumpy little legs. Where is everyone with no legs??

I'm going shopping now.

PRlady
05-12-2012, 03:44 PM

I love all those cute platform pumps, but I am terrified I'd do a face plant in them. I bought a pair via the web in nude (with a stacked heel I've learned). They are too big. And my husband threw away the box so I can't return them. I ordered my size, but I guess you have to go small in those type of shoes?

Cruisin has excellent taste in dresses, but she is tall and slender, unlike me. Myhoneyhoney and IceAlisa are both petite with cute figures. I share more in taste with PRLady than anyone else.

I am medium height, long waisted and have stumpy little legs. Where is everyone with no legs??

I'm going shopping now.

:lol: Where do you live, Christina? All I have to do is come back to Philly to realize that some part of taste is geographical, even Nordstrom Rack has a totally different selection here than in DC. And then, you're right, living clothes hangers like cruisin and cute lil things like IA and mhh have a whole different set of parameters for shopping.

And I spend that much money on a dress once a year. :shuffle: The rest of the time it's less than $150. I'm cheap too.

barbk
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the link to Garnet Hill -- I hadn't realized they had gotten so much into clothing -- we used to buy flannel sheets from them, but we must have fallen off their list years ago.

Unfortunately, while the dress looks fabulous, I doubt any one who is busty would benefit from the ruffles. Looks incredibly comfortable, though. I'll have to keep an eye on their offerings.

I'm also surprised at the number of moderately casual otherwise-work-appropriate-dresses that are just cut too low in front, especially the wrap and V neck dresses.

(Of course, the fashion look I can't bleach out of my brain is the short shorts, skimpy top and those Uggs boots on a warm day. I keep humming the old Sesame Street jingle, "One of these things is not like the other; one of these things just doesn't belong." Apparently the college student crowd does not agree.)

Aceon6
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Birthday party tonite. Mixed group at a decent restaurant. The young children will be in clean sweats or school clothes, the guest of honor in dress slacks and a starched shirt with the possibility of a sport coat.

I'm thinking this (http://www.loft.com/loft/product/product%3A281644/LOFT-dresses-and-sandals/Stream-Print-Dolman-Sleeve-Surplice-Dress/281644?colorExplode=false&skuId=11462255&catid=catl000013&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=7485) with a little beige cardi

skatesindreams
05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
There are many ways to "bargain hunt" for good clothes.
Even designer items.

I've challenged myself to learn - and use - all of them.

Aceon6
05-12-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm going shopping now.

$300 scares me too unless it a wardrobe staple or I'm absolutely stuck with no other options.

I try to find stuff on sale and frequently let the Nordstrom's staff struggle to find "something like this, but at a lower price point." They've never let me down. I scored a designer knockoff there just before my Las Vegas trip. I think I said, "something black that won't die from being in a suitcase for 10 hours and that I won't cry over if they lose my luggage." The lovely dress fairy found one for $90 smack dab in the middle of a rack of $200 and up dresses.

PDilemma
05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
(Of course, the fashion look I can't bleach out of my brain is the short shorts, skimpy top and those Uggs boots on a warm day. I keep humming the old Sesame Street jingle, "One of these things is not like the other; one of these things just doesn't belong." Apparently the college student crowd does not agree.)

When I was still teaching, girls would adapt this look on hot days--uniform shorts, polos and Uggs boots. Then they would whine all day that their feet were hot and want to take the boots off and be barefooted. :rolleyes:

made_in_canada
05-12-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm going shopping now.

That's me too. I'm all body, short legs. The only thing that saves me is I'm tall enough (5'7) that even though the proportions are off I can usually manage to not look too weird. It's really annoying when I look for dresses. No sheaths for me, though I love the look of them I have never found one that's long enough in the body to fit right.

PRlady
05-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the link to Garnet Hill -- I hadn't realized they had gotten so much into clothing -- we used to buy flannel sheets from them, but we must have fallen off their list years ago.

Unfortunately, while the dress looks fabulous, I doubt any one who is busty would benefit from the ruffles. Looks incredibly comfortable, though. I'll have to keep an eye on their offerings.

Last year's didn't have the ruffle, I wish I had gotten two. This one is actually not low-cut on, a friend of mine has it: http://www.garnethill.com/starlet-knit-dress/womens-fashion/dresses/knit-dresses/244772?listIndex=5.

mkats
05-12-2012, 06:03 PM

The most I have ever spent on a dress is $68. :shuffle: I just came back from a visit to a consignment shop and found a cute little sheath dress by Ann Taylor. I asked the saleslady if she thought it was too short, and she said, "honey, when I was your age, I wore shorter dresses AND I was riding a motorcycle!" :rofl:

The price was $10. SOLD. :rofl: I'll have to see if I can find a photo online.

cruisin
05-12-2012, 06:10 PM
:lol: Where do you live, Christina? All I have to do is come back to Philly to realize that some part of taste is geographical, even Nordstrom Rack has a totally different selection here than in DC. And then, you're right, living clothes hangers like cruisin and cute lil things like IA and mhh have a whole different set of parameters for shopping.

And I spend that much money on a dress once a year. :shuffle: The rest of the time it's less than $150. I'm cheap too.

I think I am making up for all of those years when i couldn't find clothes that fit. It's tough being an obese child and teenager, and having to wear old lady clothes. Plus sized clothes are more stylish now, but back in the '60s & '70s it was awful. I did learn to sew, very well. But I don't sew anymore, it brings me back to a dark place. I think that is why I am so into clothes, now. It's my only vice :D.

myhoneyhoney
05-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Check out garnethill.com. Nice, comfortable summer dresses that are attractive but really substitute for shorts or jeans and a top, especially when it's hot out. I own a version of this http://www.garnethill.com/piazza-knit-dress/womens-fashion/dresses/knit-dresses/205439?listIndex=7 from last season and it gets a lot of use -- with heels and a necklace I can weark it to work, but I also wear it on weekends with flats.

I like that dress, you're right, it can go from sandals to heels! I'm going to have to see if I can budget that in. Thanks!

I wish I can afford to spend $300 on a dress but I can't. I do save my $$ to spend on shoes. I have no problem spending @ $150 on nice comfortable sandals. Naots are my feet's best friends!

BittyBug
05-12-2012, 06:49 PM
This one is actually not low-cut on, a friend of mine has it: http://www.garnethill.com/starlet-knit-dress/womens-fashion/dresses/knit-dresses/244772?listIndex=5.Nice! If I could wear an empire waist*, I would snap it up. What a perfect little summer dress.

*Well, I suppose I could, but I'd look pregnant. :P It's maddening, because so many dresses lately have an empire waist. :(

cruisin
05-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice! If I could wear an empire waist*, I would snap it up. What a perfect little summer dress.

*Well, I suppose I could, but I'd look pregnant. :P It's maddening, because so many dresses lately have an empire waist. :(

That's not a true empire waist, it's a little lower. It's low enough that it should not look maternity.

How cute are these shoes? http://www.neimanmarcus.com/product.jsp?isEditorial=false&index=0&masterId=cat13030734&itemId=prod144310124&cmCat=cat000000cat000141cat13030734cat15490733&parentId=cat15490733 Maybe I'd consider them at $175, but not $375! But, they are too cute!