PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

PRlady
05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
So PRLady, have you ever "had your colors done," sounds like you are a "Winter," clear, primary, dark colors. I did 20 years ago, I had a friend who did Color Me Beautiful. I think she classified me as a "Summer" (I was fake blonder then), but I really think I too am a "Winter," often forget, get off track color-wise and get a little muddy. But I think this key is important to clothes looking good on us.

http://www.style-makeover-hq.com/seasonal-color-analysis.html

No, I'm an Autumn...green eyes, bronze hair (assisted these days) and olive skin. I actually look good in neutrals and "muddy" colors, don't look good in brights. I have a lot of beige, brown, teal, purple, muted greens, burgundy, rust and so on. And black, which technically I'm not supposed to wear, but who can live without black? I just do my makeup differently when I'm wearing black.

And I actually tried on the Macy's dress, it was a little too form-fitting but nice in the burgundy.

(I'm in my parents' "retirement community" this weekend taking care of mom so shopping is difficult. I am trying to drag her to Sephora later on, she told my stepdad she needs makeup, this will be challenging.)

flyingsit
05-11-2012, 05:28 PM
myhoneyhoney, for a LBD that can be dressed "up or down" for many occasions, I like this:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-petite-dress-sleeveless-seamed?ID=501304&CategoryID=55596&LinkType=#fn=SPECIAL_OCCASIONS%3DEvening/Formal%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D41%26ruleId%3D2%26

I have this dress! I love the fullness of the skirt, and it's a shape that is really easy to wear. I generally wear it with a cardigan or something over it as too much black near my face is not a good look for me.

barbk
05-11-2012, 09:08 PM
ETA: Look what I found! (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/marina-petite-dress-cap-sleeve-lace?ID=613322&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results)

Pretty dress -- but what is up (or down) with the dress being clearly different lengths in different colors on the same model? :confused: Not a fan of dress lengths right at the middle of the kneecap or immediately below.

And what a great reason for needing new clothes, MHH -- congratulations!

skatingfan5
05-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Pretty dress -- but what is up (or down) with the dress being clearly different lengths in different colors on the same model? :confused: The fabric is nylon/spandex so it has a fair amount of stretch. In the shorter views (grey and black) there is more "scrunching" around the waist/midriff, while in the longer ones (navy and red) there seems to be less of that and it it more stretched down. At least, that's how it appears to me in the closeups.

IceAlisa
05-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I like this dress for work (and on me the length would be appropriate for work, unlike it is on the model who is probably 6 feet tall) but think it's worth exactly half of the price. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/black-halo-jackie-print-cotton-jacquard-dress/3259015?origin=category&resultback=0

myhoneyhoney
05-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Nice LBD dresses you guys linked! Oh the choices! lol

Well, one shoe arrived today. The 1st one I missed the delivery but the Fergie from Macy's arrived just a few minutes ago. Check it out. (http://www.marie-may.com/2012/05/shoes.html) Still waiting for Jessica Simpson pumps in nude and Vera Wang peep toes in nude.

cruisin
05-12-2012, 01:15 AM
ACK! What happened? This thread was a list of gorgeous dresses then boom... mumu city! lol

I'm STILL waiting for the shoes, 2 are supposed to arrive today. I'm still waiting for 2 dresses too. I'm going to order the Vera Wang's in size 5 today (wasn't available when I ordered the 5.5). I'm looking for python now too.

Since I've lost all this weight barely any of my clothes fit so hubby's given me the green light to shop for new clothes. It's my Mother's Day present. Hooray! I'm so plain though, I usually get my jeans/tops at Target/Ross. I always thought why spend big $$ for stuff I'm going to wear to the kids' baseball/basketball/swim/soccer games? I'm changing, I see the error of my ways. I need to have some dressy staples that will work for occasions like wedding/funerals/fancy dinners in a pinch. I started looking for the LBD or maybe a navy blue instead? I dunno... Since I'm a SAHM I'm also on a limited budget so it's a challenge. I admit it's dizzying AND fun!

This thread is baaaaaad! :lol:

ETA: Look what I found! (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/marina-petite-dress-cap-sleeve-lace?ID=613322&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results)

Very pretty, I rather like the burgundy. And, I'll echo others, great reason to shop!

This is the LBD I have, and I love it. I love the ruching on the side and the "V" neckline in the back. It runs a bit small and I needed to go up one size. But it fits beautifully. Can be as dressy or not dressy as I want to make it. And it is timeless.
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/diane-von-furstenberg-jori-sheath-dress?ID=544394&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

(I'm in my parents' "retirement community" this weekend taking care of mom so shopping is difficult. I am trying to drag her to Sephora later on, she told my stepdad she needs makeup, this will be challenging.)

You're very close to King of Prussia Mall. Of course, you could cross over to the dark side and come to NJ - no sales tax!

myhoneyhoney
05-12-2012, 01:28 AM
This is the LBD I have, and I love it. I love the ruching on the side and the "V" neckline in the back. It runs a bit small and I needed to go up one size. But it fits beautifully. Can be as dressy or not dressy as I want to make it. And it is timeless.
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/diane-von-furstenberg-jori-sheath-dress?ID=544394&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Nice but oh the price! It's gonna take some talking for hubby to let me buy that one.

PRlady
05-12-2012, 02:45 AM
Very pretty, I rather like the burgundy. And, I'll echo others, great reason to shop!

You're very close to King of Prussia Mall. Of course, you could cross over to the dark side and come to NJ - no sales tax!

That LBD is gorgeous, and requires one thing I don't have -- shoulders. I can't wear that wide a boatneck, it squnches and shows the bra straps and it just doesn't work.

As for shopping...this crowd will appreciate this. My mom was disoriented and upset all day, her husband who has not left her side in 19 months went to CA this morning for my nephew's wedding. I finally got her to leave the apartment at 4:30. Sephora cheered her up, she actually allowed me to buy her some new and better foundation (and it turned out to be the exact same color I needed, d'uh.) Cheescake Factory made her more cheerful than I've seen her in a long time. Nordstrom Rack: the full return of Mom as she once was. I pulled a sort of cute tank top with sequins off a rack to look at it, and Mom, precariously leaning on her walker at the top of her 85-year-old voice said, Uch, Nomi, that is SO tacky.

About six women turned around and smiled at a fifty-something woman being shoppingslapped at by her little old lady mom. I put it back, sheepishly.

Southpaw
05-12-2012, 02:55 AM
I pulled a sort of cute tank top with sequins off a rack to look at it

I have one if you want it. White tank, aqua sequins. It's really you.

cruisin
05-12-2012, 03:09 AM
That LBD is gorgeous, and requires one thing I don't have -- shoulders. I can't wear that wide a boatneck, it squnches and shows the bra straps and it just doesn't work.

As for shopping...this crowd will appreciate this. My mom was disoriented and upset all day, her husband who has not left her side in 19 months went to CA this morning for my nephew's wedding. I finally got her to leave the apartment at 4:30. Sephora cheered her up, she actually allowed me to buy her some new and better foundation (and it turned out to be the exact same color I needed, d'uh.) Cheescake Factory made her more cheerful than I've seen her in a long time. Nordstrom Rack: the full return of Mom as she once was. I pulled a sort of cute tank top with sequins off a rack to look at it, and Mom, precariously leaning on her walker at the top of her 85-year-old voice said, Uch, Nomi, that is SO tacky.

About six women turned around and smiled at a fifty-something woman being shoppingslapped at by her little old lady mom. I put it back, sheepishly.

:lol: I've been there with my Mom. Mine was a little different though. I tend to dress trendy but age appropriate. My Mom always liked cutesy things. She would pick these ruffly, very young things out for me and get very upset that I didn't like them. The funny thing is she would always brag to other people that I have a great sense of style. She just never said it to me. She's gone a year now, I miss those crazy shopping trips.

I have a couple of sequined tanks. They look great with jeans and a blazer.

barbk
05-12-2012, 04:53 AM
I like this dress for work (and on me the length would be appropriate for work, unlike it is on the model who is probably 6 feet tall) but think it's worth exactly half of the price. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/black-halo-jackie-print-cotton-jacquard-dress/3259015?origin=category&resultback=0

I think it makes her look quite wide across the hips, and if it makes a model look broad there I hate to see what it does on most women. :yikes:

barbk
05-12-2012, 05:01 AM

That's so sweet, glad you could take her to her "happy place," and I hope the rest of the weekend goes well. Does music she liked when she was younger comfort her? I have a friend who works in a memory care facility, and she says that music of the correct period (whenever the person was in their late teens, twenties, or early thirties) is very calming for agitated residents.

And love the shoes, MyHoneyHoney. So glamorous. Do they feel stable when you walk around? (I'm always amazed at all of the college student around here who manage to walk blocks and blocks to and from fraternity parties in 3"+ heels.)

myhoneyhoney
05-12-2012, 05:33 AM
And love the shoes, MyHoneyHoney. So glamorous. Do they feel stable when you walk around? (I'm always amazed at all of the college student around here who manage to walk blocks and blocks to and from fraternity parties in 3"+ heels.)

Thanks, and yes, quite stable. I was even able to walk up and down the stairs wearing them. That says a lot considering how clumsy I am. I've fallen off exercise bikes, treadmills, and managed to roll off a yoga mat :shuffle: so the wide heels work. I've got some stilettos coming that I'm a bit nervous about.

IceAlisa, that dress is very pretty and will be a perfect just above kneecap length for us shorties.

I wish I had the $$ to pay for all these dresses! Oh well, not like I'd have places to wear them to. Can't really wear those to the soccer games and this summer's upcoming swim meets :lol:

PRlady
05-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks, and yes, quite stable. I was even able to walk up and down the stairs wearing them. That says a lot considering how clumsy I am. I've fallen off exercise bikes, treadmills, and managed to roll off a yoga mat :shuffle: so the wide heels work. I've got some stilettos coming that I'm a bit nervous about.

Aw, another clutz. I empathize. I took a yoga class once and it was an epic fail, my balance sucks. It's a family heritage. Even my cat is a clutz, he leaps up on things and misses and then looks around to make sure no-one noticed. My daughter walks into walls. ..

And, for a hardworking mom, not every dress has to be office-worthy or dressy. Check out garnethill.com. Nice, comfortable summer dresses that are attractive but really substitute for shorts or jeans and a top, especially when it's hot out. I own a version of this http://www.garnethill.com/piazza-knit-dress/womens-fashion/dresses/knit-dresses/205439?listIndex=7 from last season and it gets a lot of use -- with heels and a necklace I can weark it to work, but I also wear it on weekends with flats.

And thanks for the music suggestion, barbk. I wish they had an IPod dock but they only have an old-fashioned stereo and not many CDs.