PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

cruisin
05-05-2012, 04:10 PM
A co-worker reserved her country club for our reception. As a member, she could have the venue for an event for nothing but a $10 reservation fee. She refused to let us pay her that. So we didn't pay for the venue, only the food. That helped immensely. Since it was "for a member's event", they even did decorating for free including centerpieces, linens in any color I wanted, etc...

Some country clubs will allow you to have a limited social membership, for the purpose of having a wedding there. Effectively, you are paying for the venue, but they, often, will credit the membership cost to the food bill.

PRLady, you know I was kidding, right? I wasn't sure if your :mad: was real.

allezfred, we find ourselves on the same page here - sacrifice for the wardrobe! :lol:

IceAlisa
05-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I was extremely lucky with my dress--one of my parents' good friends makes them for a living. So I found a designer dress that I liked and she made me a knock-off with my specs. The work was her wedding present to me.

I only had to pay for the fabric, which wasn't cheap, $400, but it's still a steal on the dress. I was very happy and the dress is very special. I understand commissioning a knock-off from a dressmaker is a cheaper option in general.

PDilemma
05-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Some country clubs will allow you to have a limited social membership, for the purpose of having a wedding there. Effectively, you are paying for the venue, but they, often, will credit the membership cost to the food bill.

This one does not. We would have had to have paid for an $800 seasonal membership to use the venue at all as non-members. But they would allow a member to "host" an event for anyone. And the $800 was absolutely not put on the food bill. The cost for food was $19 per person including taxes and gratuities. Considering we had a full buffet with two meat dishes...they didn't get their $800 there.

It was a smaller town. They do things differently. Sometimes it isn't so bad to live where I live.

PRlady
05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
PRLady, you know I was kidding, right? I wasn't sure if your :mad: was real.

Oh, yes. However I'm thin-skinned on the topic, since the one time I wasn't careful about that, disaster ensued.

I put on a pair of used-to-be-comfortable cotton pants to walk down to the farmer's market. I bought them four years and six pounds ago. They are no longer comfortable. :(

BittyBug
05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Cotton shrinks. (At least that's what I always tell myself. :lol: )

myhoneyhoney
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
mhh - Something in a tan / mushroom snake print like this Stuart Weitzman peep toe (http://www.berenshoes.com/stuart-weitzman-logoplainfield-pump-mushroom-crystal-snake/p/SW1389_BGE_SN/) might be a little more flexible and forgiving in terms of matching your skin tone.

Oooooo, I've always wanted a snake print shoe, with matching purse to boot! That shoe is pretty but I can't afford more than $200 on a shoe. I was looking at this (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/fergie-shoes-magnificent-peep-toe-platform-pumps?ID=674267&CategoryID=26481&LinkType=#fn=SIZE%3D5%26sp%3D3%26spc%3D124), I like the height and the big heel would help me stay on my feet.

BittyBug
05-05-2012, 06:24 PM
That's some heel. :eek: I envy you young and petite ladies who can work a heel that high.

cruisin
05-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm old and tall, and I wear them anyway! :lol:

IceAlisa
05-06-2012, 05:04 AM
I am looking for a beach cover-up and really like this but they don't have my size: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/eco-swim-shirred-slide-cover-up/3293002?origin=category&resultback=1600

What's a good site for these?

myhoneyhoney
05-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Maybe something like this? (http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265802753959&c=Page&cid=1334717242937&pagename=vsdWrapper)

That eco one is so pretty, the side shirring makes it unique from all the other cover-ups I've seen.

IceAlisa
05-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Yes, I love the shirring and the simplicity of it the eco one. No wonder it sold out. The VS one is a bit too risque for a family vacation I think.

Highlight of my wedding was a little boy that was invited not wanting to talk to me because he thought I was a princess and didn't want to say the wrong thing. So I made a point of going to talk to him and he gave me a big hug and kissed my cheek.
This is such a cute story. Reminds me of when last year I was looking for a specific red dress and this picture of Penelope Cruz (http://www.lelalondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Penelope-Cruz-Red-Dress.jpg) came up in my Google search. Mini Ice came up, saw it and his eyes got wide. :eek: "It's a beautiful princess!"--was the reaction.

PRlady
05-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Reminds me of when last year I was looking for a specific red dress and this picture of Penelope Cruz (http://www.lelalondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Penelope-Cruz-Red-Dress.jpg) came up in my Google search. Mini Ice came up, saw it and his eyes got wide. :eek: "It's a beautiful princess!"--was the reaction.

:lol: Mini-Ice is gonna love watching skating with you. Penelope does look like a goddess in that dress. And generally.

The bronze-sequin dress is going back to Bloomies. PRkid pointed out that while it's a nice dress, it's not that flattering, makes it look like I'm hiding fat arms (I'm not) and doesn't minimize boobs or belly.

:( Well, I have six weeks to find another dress, no emergency.

Reuven
05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
No idea how to dye shoes. :shuffle: I hope someone in here knows if you decide to go that route.Been lurking in this thread for a while. Lots of great advice from the FSU Style Mavens. Eons ago, I used to sell shoes, and yes, we carried dyeable shoes. My advice is donít try it yourself. If the colour is wrong, you will have no options, whereas, if the professional does it, and itís wrong, you should be able to get a do-over.
As for choosing a shoe, I think itís hard to go wrong with a strappy metallic sandal. Metallics are neutrals, and strappy goes much better with formal and semi-formal occasions, than does a clunky or thick soled shoe. But, what do I know, Iím just a guy. ;)
Carry on!

barbk
05-06-2012, 03:27 PM
OK, so my boss told me yesterday that a smart, handsome, age-appropriate and wealthy man is coming to our gala dinner in SF in June and that he will introduce us. Buy a nice dress, he said. EVERYONE in my organization is a Jewish mother, no matter what gender they are.

OK -- your turn next, PR Lady -- What dresses are YOU considering?

barbk
05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
My sister runs an event center that hosts a lot of weddings in one of the burbs of Philly, and last year she told me that $30K was a reasonable budget for a moderate wedding in her area. I thought it was a house downpayment.