PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Wear?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

IceAlisa
05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks all! I think I've found the dress. I'm liking the red too, simple dress but the red just commands attention! I was going to ask what kind of shoes next, IceAlisa. Nude... gotta start looking for nude shoes...

Crusin, I like that beaded sweater, can go with so many outfits.

The nude shoes trend is a blessing for us short gals. Elongates the leg like nobody's business. I love this one:
http://www.zappos.com/stuart-weitzman-platswoon-adobe-aniline-patent

It's got a platform so even taller than it looks. I don't know what your budget is but I wouldn't skimp on the shoes. If they are badly made, they can make you miserable. I don't suggest this particular pair of Weitzmans because the sizing on them is very tricky. This is just to give you an idea of what I think would go with the dress and flatter you.

Moving on to shoes: nude, high heels, and in size 5. Geez, it's going to be tough finding shoes that match my skin color. Most nudes are way too light. :(

Just recently I saw a darker nude somewhere. I am going to try to remember and search for you.

This one and the Sam Edelman on the same page look darker: http://www.jildorshoes.com/product.cfm/hurl/mendy-pump-nude-patent/PI=97709?AID=10655979&PID=2687457

cruisin
05-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Moving on to shoes: nude, high heels, and in size 5.

These are all in size 5:

http://www.zappos.com/women-heels/CK_XARC41wFCAysFFMABAeICBAEYAgg.zso?s=recentSalesS tyle/desc/&zfcTest=gs:0#!/women-heels/CK_XARC41wFCAysFFHoC1ASCAQKbGMABAeICBQEYAggP.zso?s =recentSalesStyle/desc/

IceAlisa
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Oh. My. God. (http://www.zappos.com/giuseppe-zanotti-e26034-polverone) I know you have to suffer to be beautiful but this is a torture device. Does it come with life insurance? I could see myself breaking my neck in these in about 2 steps. 3 1/2" is as high as I go, may be 4" if it's also a platform.

my little pony
05-04-2012, 05:37 PM
i think the platform would make them very easy to walk in

cruisin
05-04-2012, 05:38 PM
^^ And the pain is quite expensive! Probably, ultimately more than the cost of the shoes. You would probably have to factor in podiatrist and orthopedist costs! :lol:

Equivalent to a 4" heel, but the front is so undercut, that it could be tricky.

jlai
05-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Oh. My. God. (http://www.zappos.com/giuseppe-zanotti-e26034-polverone) I know you have to suffer to be beautiful but this is a torture device. Does it come with life insurance? I could see myself breaking my neck in these in about 2 steps. 3 1/2" is as high as I go, may be 4" if it's also a platform.

The price and the heels -- my feet hurt just looking at them

IceAlisa
05-04-2012, 05:39 PM

I have several pairs of platform wedges with a much shorter heel and can't say they feel like sneakers. The thing to keep in mind with petite women is that your heel cannot be THAT chunky. It has to go with the rest of your petite frame.

cruisin
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I have several pairs of platform wedges with a much shorter heel and can't say they feel like sneakers. The thing to keep in mind with petite women is that your heel cannot be THAT chunky. It has to go with the rest of your petite frame.

I have a different problem. When I wear a 4" or a 4.5" heel, they make me 6'2"! People stare at me. It's creepy! :lol: I used to be bothered by it, now I think they're strange :lol: I do find a platform is more comfortable though. Not only is the heel to toe ratio less, but the extra thickness at the ball of the foot, make for less impact.

IceAlisa
05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
It's nice to be tall, I am sure. Opens up so many options. For instance, I cannot wear ballet flats, cute as they are.

cruisin
05-04-2012, 06:25 PM
It's nice to be tall, I am sure. Opens up so many options. For instance, I cannot wear ballet flats, cute as they are.

Yes, I love ballet flats. But, I spent my life feeling huge. Even when I lost the weight, being tall always made me feel big. I'm better with it now, but it was difficult. When i commuted to NYC, it was much easier on the PATH and subways, the air was a bit better, up where I was (especially in the summer):lol:. And, I am the go to girl for little old ladies at grocery stores :lol:

IceAlisa
05-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Those of you who have known me for a while on this board, know that I am a card-carrying SashaFan. However, I frequently question her fashion choices.

For instance, this: https://twitter.com/#!/SashaCohenNYC/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FSgbpfbf9

This is perfectly cute outfit. On someone of cruisin's height. Sasha is barely 5'2". So all that trendy color blocking is breaking up the visual height and the somewhat full skirt ads to her width which she cannot afford being so short.

PRlady
05-04-2012, 07:23 PM

I can't wear them either. Not enough support and too much impact on city streets.

And my dear co-religionist, it's not so nice to be taller and wearing even two-inch heels if the men in your ethnic group are all short. Even if you're not looking to date them, they get antsy when women look down on them. Literally.

IceAlisa
05-04-2012, 07:26 PM
And my dear co-religionist, it's not so nice to be taller and wearing even two-inch heels if the men in your ethnic group are all short. Even if you're not looking to date them, they get antsy when women look down on them. Literally.

My husband's height is pretty average for all men. I had also dated an American Jewish guy (not a Sheldon, you'd think he is cute and he is a liberal IIRC) who was over 6 feet tall. But you are right, a lot of Jewish men are short.

I was once at a Jewish wedding where the bride was about my height and wore heels. Not only that, she had very tall hair, a dark tower to use JLo's term. She ended up dwarfing her husband. :lol:

Anita18
05-04-2012, 07:55 PM
240? :eek: You lost half your body weight? Geez, I'm saggy in places and my weight hasn't varied more than 15 pounds in the last twenty years, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

Knowing what you are is key. I'm 5'6" and smallboned and long-limbed, I can wear short dresses and skirts easily because the legs are still good. But every extra pound -- I'm currently 142 and trying to get back to 137 -- is in the DD boobs and belly, so I dress cunningly to disguise that. Structured, fitted clothing looks better; as much as I like flowy things they make me look blowzy. I can't wear wrap and empire dresses because they make me look even more top-heavy and the currently fashionable fit-and-flares are good if they aren't too low-cut.

Swimsuits are my nemesis. :(
That describes me too! :D Although I'm actually not so long-limbed, I just look it because my body pulls off some crazy illusions.

Except my bones stick out everywhere and I have such a hard time gaining weight that I'm pretty sure I'll stay this size (judging by how my parents look, and it's a size I hit in middle school) until the day I die. :o It's actually kind of annoying to have my arms be this skinny. Good to pull off the model look, I guess, but I'm not glam, I'd rather be a badass lady with muscles! :mad:

Of course he does. What is it with men? :rolleyes:

I am not sure about this one. It's more for clubbing than a wedding. Too casually sexy, IOW. Looks a tiny bit like a slip from the days of yore. Go with a dressier look, simple clean silhouette, rich color. But dressier than this one.
:eek: Seriously, that's not an appropriate dress for any kind of wedding!

And yeah, men. At least he's still making jokes like that about you, that's cute! :lol:

My fiance wouldn't let me out of the house wearing that. He'd want to keep me all for himself. ;)

Ehhh, there's a limit. I had a friend in college who was 6'3" (without shoes) and she couldn't ride buses comfortably. She needed to stick her legs out into the aisle. :lol: It sucks being tall sometimes!

My husband's height is pretty average for all men. I had also dated an American Jewish guy (not a Sheldon, you'd think he is cute and he is a liberal IIRC) who was over 6 feet tall. But you are right, a lot of Jewish men are short.

I was once at a Jewish wedding where the bride was about my height and wore heels. Not only that, she had very tall hair, a dark tower to use JLo's term. She ended up dwarfing her husband. :lol:
Yeah...about that...my bf is only 2 inches taller than I am so if I wear heels (which is a must for the dress length, unless I pay $$$ to get it hemmed), I will be taller than him. :lol: He doesn't mind so much, but it might look funny in photographs!

Also, I have this pair of heels (http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/softspots-nessa-black--t-straps-dress-shoes) that I'm thinking of wearing at the wedding. It's going to be a backyard sort of garden affair, and it's the only pair of heels I can wear for hours without feeling like I'm dying, so I'm thinking it'll do.

IceAlisa
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, at least don't make your hair tall. :P

As a complete aside, addressed to everyone, I browsed through the link of the shoes you like and found my Mary Janes I bought a few years ago: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/charles-by-charles-david-pewter-leather-jane-mary-jane-pumps-8?refItemId=AAAAA7EXwrEAAAAAAMvoKQ&fromStoreDomain=bluefly.com
If you like a medium heel, they are pretty comfy for work. I love them.

As to those shoes, Anita18. Um...your gown is very dressy and classic. The shoes are way too casual for the dress. If you are looking for a lower heel that wouldn't get stuck in the grass, consider this or something along these lines: http://www.zappos.com/dyeables-peg-silver-metallic

These ones are padded for comfort and are dyeable. So you can dye them any color you want afterwards.