PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Kirk's blog: "... skating taught me far more than winning and losing"

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

IceAlisa
05-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Exactly. This is a general statement. She doesn't name names, just explains the dynamic that I would imagine is common.

Aussie Willy
05-01-2012, 05:30 AM
I think she hits the nail on the head with regards skater relationships with coaches. I have seen so many skaters stay with coaches out of loyalty and obligation rather than the skater truly benefitting out of what the coach is giving them. And sometimes these relationships can be quite disfunctional. It is not just about top level skaters but what I have seen at my local rink.

skateboy
05-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Loved the article. I wish more former competitors felt comfortable discussing their careers--demons and all.

paskatefan
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Welcome back to blogging, Jenny! :encore:

Wyliefan
05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Interesting comment from Ricky Dornbush (http://www.jenniferkirk.com/2012/04/30/my-first-breakup/#comment-49) on her piece. He has a good point about learning to work for oneself instead of pleasing the coach. But some of us, I suspect, are the type who are always going to want to please the coach, or the teacher, or the boss. When you're built that way, it's hard to change. I can understand where Jenny was coming from and how devastating it must have been.

Also, remembering what a strong relationship Paul Wylie had with the Scotvolds, I wonder if Evy was just better at coaching male skaters than female ones?

Yazmeen
05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Gee, was Paul put up on the scale and weighed like Nancy and Jennifer, or did Evy just do that to humiliate his female students into staying thin (and I'm being serious here, not sarcastic, I do wonder about that)?

That entry was presented very beautifully, and fairly, it was certainly not "Evy was a monster" and Jenny and angel. Again, very glad to have her back blogging. I also enjoyed former US competitor Eve Chalom's comments to this blog entry.

Wyliefan
05-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Gee, was Paul put up on the scale and weighed like Nancy and Jennifer, or did Evy just do that to humiliate his female students into staying thin (and I'm being serious here, not sarcastic, I do wonder about that)?

That is a good question.

taf2002
05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
She writes well, and I've enjoyed reading her entries so far, but I really hope skating parents do not read this. I have years of immensely positive memories and experiences that I'd hate for skaters to miss out on because their parents read something like this about skating when they were just starting out in the sport. Not everyone's experience carries these kinds of scars.

I hope writing this blog turns out to be a good healing process for Kirk.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. If a coach is giving their skaters good experiences & not abusing them, then parents will not intervene & take the skater away from the coach. But I don't see the harm in making parents wary & watchful.

DickButtonFan
05-01-2012, 04:02 PM
It doesn't even make logical sense to refuse a skater to go on the ice if they aren't a certain weight. How are they going to lose any weight then? And I would like to know if Paul was weighted in too.

NancyNC
05-01-2012, 04:23 PM
It doesn't even make logical sense to refuse a skater to go on the ice if they aren't a certain weight. How are they going to lose any weight then?

How? By developing an eating disorder? Or by running for hours on the beach until they have blisters so painful that they have to use ice to numb them before they can wear their skates? Those are just two things that Jenny mentions in the article.

kirkbiggestfan
05-01-2012, 04:24 PM
It doesn't even make logical sense to refuse a skater to go on the ice if they aren't a certain weight. How are they going to lose any weight then? And I would like to know if Paul was weighted in too.

Yes, males were weighted too. No discrimination in that department. :lol:

mgobluegirl
05-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. If a coach is giving their skaters good experiences & not abusing them, then parents will not intervene & take the skater away from the coach. But I don't see the harm in making parents wary & watchful.

I didn't mean that parents shouldn't be on the lookout for abuse or unhealthy relationships, I was just saying that I wouldn't want parents to view this experience as the norm. It would be so easy to read this as a new parent in the sport and decide it's a good reason not to pursue skating further. Of course, parents should always be looking out for the best interest of their child (and I'm appalled that the weigh-ins occurred in front of the parents and the parents were ok with this).

ioana
05-01-2012, 10:55 PM
It would be so easy to read this as a new parent in the sport and decide it's a good reason not to pursue skating further. Of course, parents should always be looking out for the best interest of their child (and I'm appalled that the weigh-ins occurred in front of the parents and the parents were ok with this).

Oh, books like Little Girls in Pretty Boxes (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Girls-Pretty-Boxes-Breaking/dp/0446672505) didn't stop girls from taking up gymnastics. I doubt something a lot more balanced, like Jenny's blog, would do that for skating.

Aussie Willy
05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I didn't mean that parents shouldn't be on the lookout for abuse or unhealthy relationships, I was just saying that I wouldn't want parents to view this experience as the norm. It would be so easy to read this as a new parent in the sport and decide it's a good reason not to pursue skating further. Of course, parents should always be looking out for the best interest of their child (and I'm appalled that the weigh-ins occurred in front of the parents and the parents were ok with this).
Anyone can tell a new parent to the sport anything and they will believe it. I get so many questions from parents who have been feed crap from other parents and coaches. People love to prey on their inexperience and lack of knowledge.

UGG
05-03-2012, 01:23 AM
She used Michelle as an example in her blog instead of Sasha so her blog would get more hits DUH.

:P

totally kidding. ;)