PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Skaters that You'd like to Acknowledge

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Finnice
04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I also agree that Susanna Pöykiö should have won the 2005 (Europeans) and feel sad that Elina Kettunen never got an European medal.
I second Pfeiffer and Othman, and have to add Ivan Dinev and the ever-voidy Silvio Smalun to this list.

aftershocks
04-27-2012, 01:51 PM
[Matt] should have [won Worlds], but most likely would have never had with the presentation marks that he was getting. Buttle had the full backing of the entire Skate Canada while USFS was all about Weir/ Lysacek/ Weiss, and Savoie was merely an after thought. I always felt so unfair about how much Buttle could get away with because of his huge PCS while Savoie, a skater who had many similar strengths (and better jump technique as well as being more enchanting for me), had none of that priviledge.

^^ ITA!

Matt! Matt! Matt!

US ice dancers on the international level - Naomi & Peter, Punsallan & Swallow, Roca & Sur, Melissa & Denis

Oh thanks, paskatefan! ITA that all the U.S. ice dancers you mention were underrated internationally, especially Punsalan & Swallow who were consistently and unfairly kept back in 6th and 7th place at Worlds. They had improved so much prior to their retiring from the eligible ranks, but they were never rewarded by ISU judges. Fortunately, we were able to enjoy their great ice dancing for a few more years b/c they had the opportunity to skate and compete professionally.

Even Tanith and Ben were slighted internationally after their breakthrough to the top ranks. There seemed to be an effort to keep them from ever placing first at Worlds.

jiggs
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I loved watching Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Silvio Smalun skate. Such a shame they both couldn't break through and retired pretty soon :(

smarts1
04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Rubbish. Maybe you might like to have a look at her competitive record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Lu

Yeah, and quite frankly, I think she deserved more. If Kristi's boring programs could get straight 5.9s on the artistic mark, then I think Lulu should have, but she never got that. The most she ever got was a mixture of 5.8s and 5.9s, and 2 6.0s at 1996 Worlds.

shine
04-27-2012, 05:09 PM
I loved watching Mikkeline Kierkgaard and Silvio Smalun skate. Such a shame they both couldn't break through and retired pretty soon :(
LOVED those two, especially Smalun. He was THE god of :inavoid: for me. I also thought he was hugely talented and had everything - but for someone who was that talented he was so unbelievably consistent. I was so thrilled that he finally came in top 10 at Euros in 2006. His Handel LP is still one of the best programs ever.

Jasmar
04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Betchke & Petrov (in their later years) stunned me by what amazing performers they became. But I can't remember if that was just in their pro years.

Ryan J. is another one for me that really grates - the guy was so lyrical and creative.

Also Gary Beacom, although he may have been his own worst enemy.

And pretty much any of the top three dance couples who lost to G/P :P

Aussie Willy
04-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, and quite frankly, I think she deserved more. If Kristi's boring programs could get straight 5.9s on the artistic mark, then I think Lulu should have, but she never got that. The most she ever got was a mixture of 5.8s and 5.9s, and 2 6.0s at 1996 Worlds.

5.8s and 5.9s is pretty damn good. And not many skaters ever got 6.0s. 6.0 was also placement system.

She won two Olympic bronze medals on top of world medals, including a gold. That does not indicate a skater who was underrated.

Fozzie Bear
04-28-2012, 01:33 AM
ITA with everyone who mentioned Jahnke and Savoie. Both so musical and underrated. Their programs were chock full of transitions and great choreography even before CoP. Tom Dickson should get a lot of credit for that too, imo.

One of my favorite programs, even without the jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOUM3koWjvA&feature=fvst (2000 US Nationals LP)

aftershocks
04-28-2012, 06:21 AM
In checking out some Matt Savoie clips, I came across this early, early effort from a surprisingly classical-looking Ryan Bradley at the age of 16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gbYSmZ2h2Y&feature=relmfu

If only at that age, Ryan had been helped by the right coach to further develop his more classical leanings and latent artistic talent. He needed help with improving his spins and polishing what was apparent in him at that young age. Instead, it seems he lost that budding elegant style as the coaching focus likely became more exclusively centered on jumps and athleticism to the detriment of continuing to develop stretch, fluidity, elegance and artistry.

I've always loved this marvelous Tom Dickson choreographed fp from Ryan Jahnke at 2004 U.S. Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbzfIXTm0Mw

dewey
04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Hinzman & Parchem. Not so much the big tricks, but they fairly floated across the ice.

DORISPULASKI
04-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Donlan & Speroff

leapfrogonice
05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Donlan and Speroff are not so much underappreciated as still on the rise. Hopefully rapidly. Truly enjoy their lovely yet powerful pair elements. Especially their lifts, twists and throws.

aftershocks
05-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Ah yes, Jamal Othman, and Hinzman and Parchem!

Thanks pingu, and dewey.

pinky166
05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Joshua Farris, at least on the national stage. I know he didn't skate well at nationals, but he was really hosed on PCS there regardless. He shouldn't have been 16th, skaters like Dyer, Cassar, and Johnson should not have beaten him with no 3a when Josh went for two 3a and a 4t in his FS. Plus he is just a really beautiful skater, good technique on jumps, lovely posture, nice spins and flexibility, great lines. At JW he skated up to his potential and very nearly won, had he skated like that at Nationals, he would have deserved to finish ahead of around 12 of the 15 skaters that beat him though I doubt he would have judging from the PCS marks. It honestly looks silly to have a kid who placed 16th at Nationals to come in 2nd at a very competitive Junior Worlds, pretty sure most of the guys who finished ahead of him at Nationals, if they were age eligible, couldn't have placed as well even with clean skates. It's frustrating, especially because so many other skaters receive huge PCS inflation at nationals (Rippon, Brown, Razzano, etc). I'm really pulling for him to make the World team this season but am worried the Nationals judges will lowball him on PCS again even if he does skate really well.

UDelpairs2012
05-02-2012, 02:38 AM
CLARA PETERS!!!!!! and Melissa Bulanhagui