View Full Version : Underrated Skaters that You'd like to Acknowledge

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

PashaFan
04-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Elena Glebova.
Elene Gedavanishvili.
Valentina Marchei.
Viktoria Helgesson.
I really have enjoyed watching all of these girls. I know Elene Gedvanishvili has two European Bronze medals but she has yet to really do well at Worlds.
I also wish Elena Glebova could improve. He skating technically has gone backwards in the past few years but I do like her choreography.
Valentina Marchei is a fighter but so inconsistent.
Viktoria Helgesson has really improved this year but her jumps need to be stronger.

midori
04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Another fan of Kevin Reynolds here also thinks he's underrated.

victoriaheidi
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
She's not exactly underrated, but Leah Keiser doesn't have the crazy fandom of Gracie Gold.

AliasJohnDoe
04-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Angela Wang!!!!

skatesindreams
04-26-2012, 05:55 PM
A blast from the past: Matt Savoie.

kwanatic
04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Nina Jiang: Time will tell with her but if she ever gets her jumps under control she will tough to deal with. She has a wonderful presence on the ice...reminds me of Yu-Na at times.

Yasmin Siraj: Wonderfully musical performer. Again, jumps are her issue but she has probably the best musical interpretation of all of the junior level skaters.

aftershocks
04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
^^ skatesindreams :) :respec: (Matt Savoie deserves his own tribute thread on FSU)

Not too distant past ... I will always associate Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings with this performance from Matt: :swoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0 2005 Nats sp

Matt was so undermarked and so underrated -- he should have been scored in 5.7 - 5.9 range for technique and 5.9 - 6.0 for presentation and been in first place. Many youtube posters give Matt fine tributes and rip the judging. One post tho' which mentions that skaters placed before Matt had quads, except for Johnny, are absolutely incorrect. Evan Lysacek did not have a quad in 2005, but he was placed ahead of Matt, incredibly. The 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and 5.1 !?, marks for Matt for this performance are absolutely shameful and disgraceful. What contemptuous and pitiful scoring which reveals the stupidities and inequities of this sport, but this is definitely not the only instance, nor the last.

Fortunately, Matt did not allow the disrespect from the judges and his own Federation to dissuade him from continuing to pursue his goals. Here is his equally spine-tingling and mesmerizing performance at the 2006 Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zsYqfw-pg (forgive my posting w/ Scott Hamilton commentary :( which is puerile and disruptive -- At least Dick provides some balance toward the end, but then Scott destroys it by mentioning Evan Lysacek and "miraculous" in the same sentence -- as if Matt's performance had anything whatsoever to do with "answering" Lysacek's "recovery" after the sp.)

Matt was an elegant, understated skater, and I believe his personality is also elegant and understated. What peerless and sublime transitions on and off the ice, during and after his skating career:

Matt Savoie graduated summa cum laude from Bradley University in 2002, with a major in political science and a minor in biology. He went on to earn his master's degree in urban planning from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2005 and received the AICP Outstanding Graduate Student Award for 2005. He was admitted to the law school at Cornell University in 2005, but obtained a deferral for a year to focus on making the Olympic team. He joined the program in September 2006, and graduated in 2009. Following his competitive career, Matt completed a four-year term as the athlete representative to the Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee of the International Skating Union. He is currently working as an associate in the law firm of Choate Hall & Stewart. (Wikipedia)

VALuvsMKwan
04-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Agree with Ryan Jahnke and Matt Savoie, and am adding Angela Nikodinov in her "blossoming period" - what a joy to watch.

skatesindreams
04-26-2012, 07:19 PM
^^ skatesindreams :) :respec: (Matt Savoie deserves his own tribute thread on FSU)

Not too distant past ... I will always associate Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings with this performance from Matt: :swoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0 2005 Nats sp

Matt was so undermarked and so underrated -- he should have been scored in 5.7 - 5.9 range for technique and 5.9 - 6.0 for presentation and been in first place. Many youtube posters give Matt fine tributes and rip the judging. One post tho' which mentions that skaters placed before Matt had quads, except for Johnny, are absolutely incorrect. Evan Lysacek did not have a quad in 2005, but he was placed ahead of Matt, incredibly. The 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and 5.1 !?, marks for Matt for this performance are absolutely shameful and disgraceful. What contemptuous and pitiful scoring which reveals the stupidities and inequities of this sport, but this is definitely not the only instance, nor the last.

Fortunately, Matt did not allow the disrespect from the judges and his own Federation to dissuade him from continuing to pursue his goals. Here is his equally spine-tingling and mesmerizing performance at the 2006 Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zsYqfw-pg (forgive my posting w/ Scott Hamilton commentary :( which is puerile and disruptive -- At least Dick provides some balance toward the end, but then Scott destroys it by mentioning Evan Lysacek and "miraculous" in the same sentence -- as if Matt's performance had anything whatsoever to do with "answering" Lysacek's "recovery" after the sp.)

Matt was an elegant, understated skater, and I believe his personality is also elegant and understated. What peerless and sublime transitions on and off the ice, during and after his skating career:

Matt Savoie graduated summa cum laude from Bradley University in 2002, with a major in political science and a minor in biology. He went on to earn his master's degree in urban planning from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2005 and received the AICP Outstanding Graduate Student Award for 2005. He was admitted to the law school at Cornell University in 2005, but obtained a deferral for a year to focus on making the Olympic team. He joined the program in September 2006, and graduated in 2009. Following his competitive career, Matt completed a four-year term as the athlete representative to the Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee of the International Skating Union. He is currently working as an associate in the law firm of Choate Hall & Stewart. (Wikipedia)

I was in the arena for 2005 Nationals.
I watched Matt's SP - the "Adagio" as tears streamed down my face.
An unforgettable privilege.

I was very upset at his marks - as was Dick Button!

JamieSix
04-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Cathy Reed and Chris Reed. :D

lmarie086
04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
aftershocks, you just made me upset all over again for all the times that Matt Savoie was underscored! I can't watch a program to "The Mission" or "Adagio" now without thinking of him.

Off to watch old Savoie performances. :swoon:

CassAgain
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt

pani
04-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Zlobina-Sitnikov, Ralf-Hill this season.
Stolbova-Klimov
Kevin Reynolds
Vanessa James
Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt

blue_idealist
04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Kim Lucine
Stephen Carriere
Katarina Gerboldt and Alexander Enbert

Was gonna say Valentina Marchei, but she's already been mentioned.

SmallFairy
04-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Mikkeline Kirkgaard!

The Danish federation didn't at all realise what a very special skater she was, jumps or not!
I so much wish we could have seen her compete for so many more years, with tons of beautiful programs....