PDA

View Full Version : Pang & Tong plan to continue competing next season

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
China Daily news article: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2012-04/20/content_15095031.htm

"We are still capable of competing and the judges still approved of our performances," Pang said. "The fact we didn't achieve good results was because of mistakes, not a lack of ability.
"It would be a pity if we retired because of accidents in the competition. We are still at the top level. We don't want to give up like this."
Pang and Tong said they haven't thought about the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics yet.
"We just want to try one more year first," Tong said. "As for competing at the Olympics, it will depend on our performances next season.
"The next season is very important since it's the qualification for the Sochi Games as well. No matter whether we take part in the Games or not, we will try to earn enough berths for China."

ETA: This article from Worlds (http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-10-100631-Pang-Tong-to-skate-on-as-China-flop-at-worlds) included this tidbit:

“Our competition was rather disastrous,” said Pang. “Next season we plan to compete and we’ll start earlier in the Grand Prix.”

Ziggy
04-25-2012, 11:50 PM
I guess Chinese fed won't be happy with anything other than 3 spots for Olympics.

essence_of_soy
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
I love them, but man, doing those HUGE twists and throws in your mid 30s must be particularly tough on Pang.

It's a shame there isn't a pro circuit any more.

DimaToe
04-26-2012, 12:44 AM
I like P/T, but I think that their time has passed, they've just been around for SO LONG, and before people mention Shen/Zhao, at least those two took a break before coming back for Vancouver, and when they came back they had the desire and hunger to be the best, and delivered great performances. Ever since last season, whenever i've seen P/T it just feels off, it seems like they're competing because they feel they have to, not because they want to. I wish them luck but I feel that they should move on if that's what they desire, i'm not telling them to retire, I like them, but it seems to me that they were ready to move on since they won 2010 worlds, If their heart isn't in competing anymore then idk how close they'll get to their past success. Here's hoping that it isn't the Chinese Fed completely pushing them because China is in good hands with Sui/Han and Yu/Jin (who I love :D) but the Fed. just has to be a tad patient.

aftershocks
04-26-2012, 01:08 AM
As much as I have loved P/T, I wish they would not continue, and I wonder if the choice is theirs to make anyway. I doubt it.

Macassar88
04-26-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm glad that they're doing the grand prix though so they can get some experience and hopefully end their careers with a world medal if they don't go to the olympics.

zgr4088
04-26-2012, 02:28 AM
From their weibo, Pang is the one who doesn't want to retire.

luCN
04-26-2012, 03:20 AM
after the world's LP,Tong said he planed to retire after the proposal,when he asked Pang she toldl him "let's compete one more year".

and they'll have two brand new programs this season.

DimaToe
04-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Poor Jian, hopefully Pang will accept the proposal soon and not push for more years of competition if Tong wants to retire.

luCN
04-26-2012, 07:18 AM
ah,maybe my English makes you misunderstood.Tong proposed to Pang at last year's AOI shanghai,she accepted. After the world LP.Tong asked Pang about if she want to compete or retire,Pang said let's compete one more year.

Tong didn't want to completely retire too.He said he want to get married and have a baby,then compete again.So that they won't worried about many things,eg their health,their parents……(you know,for some old people in china,they think have a baby is the important thing in one's life)

Marco
04-26-2012, 07:53 AM
I guess Chinese fed won't be happy with anything other than 3 spots for Olympics.

Well they have a lot to live up to. Chinese pairs have medalled at the last 3 Olympics, and with 2 medals at the last 2 Olympics. At Sochi, they will be struggling to hold onto 1 medal...

Japanfan
04-26-2012, 08:25 AM
I would just like to see them deliver one more performance on par with their 2010 Olympic FS. One more great performance with heart. I love these two.

spikydurian
04-26-2012, 09:29 AM
I would just like to see them deliver one more performance on par with their 2010 Olympic FS. One more great performance with heart. I love these two.
Great news. I am not complaining. Love to see them skate.

love_skate2011
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
ever heared of " MILKING OF MILKING YOUR RETIEMENT " ?
clearly P/T have passed their prime and are Too Old

GarrAarghHrumph
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
ever heared of " MILKING OF MILKING YOUR RETIEMENT " ?
clearly P/T have passed their prime and are Too Old

They were fourth at Worlds. They're still better than the vast majority of pairs teams out there, even at their "advanced age". ;) If they truly want to compete, I'm happy to see them skate.