PDA

View Full Version : Yuzuru Hanyu to be coached by Brian Orser

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

bek
04-29-2012, 05:09 PM
That seems right - Kim went to Toronto in the summer of 2006, shortly before she turned 16, and relocated full-time a few months later (source (http://web.archive.org/web/20100116023013/http://www.ifsmagazine.com/archive/2007/DECEMBER/INDEX.PHP)). Obviously Orser got a very accomplished skater to begin with; what I think he deserves a lot of credit for is helping her become a more polished and mature performer (though Wilson also played a major role) and maybe most importantly, getting her through the Olympic season, when the pressure on her must have been insane.

How much of this would be applicable in Hanyu's case, I'm not sure.

I think a lot of it can be applicable to Hanyu. Including the potential of better training conditions. There's something to be said for a coach who has been there done that when it comes to not only competiting as an elite skater, but also helping as star skater deal with the pressure/mental aspects of the sport.

Hanyu is going to be facing far more pressure and expectations now than he's ever faced before, and I totally understand why the Japanese want him with a more experienced coach.

EricRohmer
04-29-2012, 06:01 PM
So I would say that the outcome of Yuna is five years of work by Orser and his team. Have any other skaters dedicated five years to the effort of his training other then Yuna?

Orser coached Yuna for three years(2007.03~2010.03).
Yuna requested to become her coach to Orser around fall 2006, but he declined a few times due to his ice show schedule and because he had not ever thought about job as a full-time coach until then.
After Yuna‘s 2006 GPF win, Orser accepted the coaching suggestion.

ProgramerUSFS
04-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Orser coached Yuna for three years(2007.03~2010.03).
Yuna requested to become her coach to Orser around fall 2006, but he declined a few times due to his ice show schedule and because he had not ever thought about job as a full-time coach until then.
After Yuna‘s 2006 GPF win, Orser accepted the coaching suggestion.

I stand corrected and you are correct. I had found one news release that said she worked with him since she was 15, however when you look at the wiki on this it does state that she began skating in toronto in the 2006-2007 summer just before debut as a senior.

Ziggy
04-30-2012, 12:45 AM
I think you forget that Yuna came to him when she was only 15 years old, and he worked with her for many years before she became what you saw in the Olympics. In 2005 jr worlds she did a triple toe triple toe, and had issues with other triples as her score was very low, and she was a long way to doing a triple triple combo with a lutz. So I would say that the outcome of Yuna is five years of work by Orser and his team. Have any other skaters dedicated five years to the effort of his training other then Yuna?

Other coaches had skaters who had similar jumps to Yuna in 2005, where were they in 2010 and why didn't they do the same with their skaters?

I was at Yu-Na Kim's first international junior performance ever (JGP Budapest) and she was doing all the triples already.

The following season I was at JGP Bratislava and she landed 3lutz/3toe there IIRC.

She had all her jumps before she switched to Orser.

lowtherlore
04-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Now concerning this young skater who is training larger jumps with Orser. You all said that Orser can't bring someone from a lower level skater to larger jumps. And I simply told you that I heard that this isn't so, and in fact this girl had come a long way very fast under Orser, therefore you must be wrong about his teaching. I was told that their was a story on the internet about her, but I haven't been able to find it. So sorry.

Off topic, but is this the girl you wrote about by any chance?
http://skatinggazelle.com/home.html

She lists Orser and Ghislain Briand as her coaches and there's a video clip of her trying a 3A on a harness.

just wondering
04-30-2012, 02:39 AM
^^ That's who I was thinking they were talking about. She does have high jumps, but hasn't competed particularly well thus far. Of course that could change, and she could "spring" into the spotlight.
Apparently, she is reconnecting her ties to the Philippines. Perhaps to ultimately skate for them, like Melissa B.

ProgramerUSFS
04-30-2012, 03:40 AM
Off topic, but is this the girl you wrote about by any chance?
http://skatinggazelle.com/home.html

She lists Orser and Ghislain Briand as her coaches and there's a video clip of her trying a 3A on a harness.

Not really sure since I was not told her name. But they said that the coaches thought she might do quads some day because of her power and height of jumps. This girl is a baby, and I would have expected a more accomplished skater. Maybe their is another one. How many young skaters does he have, as they keep coming out of the wood work.

lowtherlore
04-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Not really sure since I was not told her name. But they said that the coaches thought she might do quads some day because of her power and height of jumps. This girl is a baby, and I would have expected a more accomplished skater. Maybe their is another one. How many young skaters does he have, as they keep coming out of the wood work.

The site says she’s fifteen. It has a video clip where one coach does mention her quad possibility, which seems to me little more than publicity talks at this point. We might be seeing her competing at Junior Nats next year.

ProgramerUSFS
04-30-2012, 05:15 AM
The site says she’s fifteen. It has a video clip where one coach does mention her quad possibility, which seems to me little more than publicity talks at this point. We might be seeing her competing at Junior Nats next year.

I just looked at the stories on her web site. It mentions Christy Krall naming her. How is it possible that someone who learned to skate 4 years ago is doing even doubles let along thinking of these types of jumps. When I heard of this, I thought it was a skater that had been around skating for a while. Thinking someone like Mao would train for a quad is one thing, someone who started skating a few years ago is quite another. All I have to say is that if Orser gets this girl to land a triple axel in a competition after only skating this long, he would be the greatest coach that ever was. Now I am skeptical. :shuffle:

bek
04-30-2012, 05:18 AM
I just looked at the stories on her web site. It mentions Christy Krall naming her. How is it possible that someone who learned to skate 4 years ago is doing even doubles let along thinking of these types of jumps. When I heard of this, I thought it was a skater that had been around skating for a while. Thinking someone like Mao would train for a quad is one thing, someone who started skating a few years ago is quite another. All I have to say is that if Orser gets this girl to land a triple axel in a competition after only skating this long, he would be the greatest coach that ever was. Now I am skeptical. :shuffle:

Miki Ando landed her first triple after only skating for two years. Jenny Kirk got them pretty quickly too. Some people are talented jumpers.

Zemgirl
04-30-2012, 05:44 AM
How is it possible that someone who learned to skate 4 years ago is doing even doubles let along thinking of these types of jumps. When I heard of this, I thought it was a skater that had been around skating for a while. Thinking someone like Mao would train for a quad is one thing, someone who started skating a few years ago is quite another. All I have to say is that if Orser gets this girl to land a triple axel in a competition after only skating this long, he would be the greatest coach that ever was. Now I am skeptical. :shuffle:

Miki Ando landed her first triple after only skating for two years. Jenny Kirk got them pretty quickly too. Some people are talented jumpers.
Johnny Weir was like that, too - started skating at 12 and won Junior Worlds at 16, and he had some good results, both nationally and internationally, almost immediately. I've read that he was landing axels very early on and he must have gotten his triples pretty quickly. Chafik Besseghier also started skating at 12 and was doing triples within two years. In his case, he obviously still has other things to work on, including consistency.

This, of course, is OT. Does anyone know when Hanyu's press conference is supposed to take place?

RunnersHigh
04-30-2012, 06:50 AM
I was at Yu-Na Kim's first international junior performance ever (JGP Budapest) and she was doing all the triples already.
Yes, She did all 5 triples at her free program (http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgphun2004/JGPHUN04_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf).

The following season I was at JGP Bratislava and she landed 3lutz/3toe there IIRC.
It was not Bratislava but Sofia. ;)
She did 3F-3T in Slovakia (http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpsvk2005/jgpsvk05_Ladies_FS_scores.pdf) and 3F-2T, 3Lz-3T in Bulgaria (http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpbul2005/jgpbul05_Ladies_FS_scores.pdf). In an article, Yuna said she did that extemporaneously to redeem her mistake on planned 3F-3T.

She had all her jumps before she switched to Orser.
It also was true.
However what important is NOT what she had then BUT how she maintain and improve them. In that sense, they - Brian, Tracy, Ghislain and all the coaches there - did really good job.

Anyway, hope Hanyu ALSO could get on with them.

EricRohmer
04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
In that sense, they - Brian, Tracy, Ghislain and all the coaches there - did really good job.

(little correction..)
I know Ghislain was not in Yuna team.

This, of course, is OT. Does anyone know when Hanyu's press conference is supposed to take place?

I heard it will be held on May, 6(sunday). :)

Leticia
04-30-2012, 08:23 AM

There are more talented jumpers than her at the same age, with triples up to lutz.. I don't understand why people around her says she has the highest jumps in the world when clearly, Sotnikova or Gracie has more heights...

fan
04-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Sammi is a very talented skater - it is true that she did not have her doubles a few years ago and is now consistently rotating triples. She has grown very quickly, she has excellent work ethic. Orser/Briand and Geoff Dionisio all work with her (CC coaches tend to team-coach - produces a very collaborative/supportive atmosphere). She will likely be competing for the Phillipines going forward.