PDA

View Full Version : Yuzuru Hanyu to be coached by Brian Orser

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

kwanfan1818
05-05-2012, 03:58 AM
I don't know why the assumption is that Orser has signed with IMG for his coaching business. He's occasionally involved in producing shows, and as far as I know, makes the occasional guest appearance. If an agent can help with with endorsements indirectly related to his skaters, I don't see how his contact has to extend to every business transaction he makes.

RumbleFish
05-05-2012, 04:37 AM
OH yeah? ... well I have news for you. Hanyu can count to FOUR already!!!! Has mesmerizing lazer beam eyes with the the crowds (did you not see his epic FS stare end pose?) So he is ahead of them both already!!

I don't know about Hanyu's math skills, and I'm also dubious about his stare pose. I really couldn't tell whether it was a part of a choreography or a mere gasp for more oxygen due to exhaustion. I will agree with your lazer beam eyes theory only when he gets a program that requires a smile at the end pose and be successful at it.

He just need to develop his Patrick Chan psychedelic eyes to hypnotize the judges to reward him the high PCS, which he is perfectly of doing, having proven to be a great sponge his entire career. Soaking up every great skater's best qualities and that will certainly include Patrick's 'best' quality next year ;)

If that is the case, Hanyu needs to get a eyelid widening surgery a la Chan instead of naming Orser his new coach.

... That is unless someone totally mess it up for him. :mad: I am still gutted he is loosing Abe, and question the sanity of the decision makers. Just think of the 24 hours return flight time from Tokyo to Toronto EVEYRTIME he get coaching, and with no one familiar with his conditions in Japan to supervise him on a day to day and to be the coach's eyes. Feels like this crazy arrangement can only come from the likes of greedy agents and inconsiderate bureaucrats. It didn't work for Mao, so why do they insist on Hanyu?

Bureaucrats never care for anyone other than themselves.
This is true in general for all sorts of bureaucrats, and skating officials are not exceptions.

They don't care whether Hanyu improves or not.
The heck, they won't mind even if Hanyu screws up and fail to make the team, as long as their part of the work, i.e. federation politics, gets recognized.

It is my speculation that they are trying to collude with the Canadians in order to turn the Sochi mens event into a 3 horse race after the SP, with Chan, Plushy, and a Japanese skater being the beneficiary.
This sort of thing happened in the both the ladies and mens event in Vancouver as well, and I think IMG could be doing dirty laundry for these bureaucrats behind the scene.

Their attitude towards skaters is simple, we have done our part, so you do yours.
We saw how Hiramatsu Junko of JSF declaired Kim as the rightful winner and explained how inferior Asada was in comparison right after Vancouver ladies event was over.
Did she say this in order to give an honest review of the event or to praise Kim?
Instead, all she was saying was we did our job of politiking the best we could via Tarasova but Asada just wasn't good enough in the end.
To whom? Japanese public who were pissed that their darling suffered a defeat and hence were looking for someone to unleash the blame to.

This is their nature, and Hanyu will have to make it on his own somehow.

BTW, does this mean we get to speak again? :D

Willowway
05-05-2012, 04:59 AM
So that every time a skater 'feel' like they need to swap coach, then IMG can just shift one skaters from one camp to the next, and they can keep on swap the skaters student spots like in a daisy chain and keep on charge clients for new placement, new sign on fee etc every time they move,

I hate to be short about this but this is just wrong and not how agencies operate - please stop trying to give other fans inaccurate information about how the skating business actually works . There are no charges for "placements", "new sign on fees" - those fees don't exist in skating and if they did, who would pay them anyhow? Agents make their money by taking a percentage of EARNINGS they promote (in shows, events, ads, endorsements, etc.) and negotiate those contracts for their clients - then when the client is getting paid, the agent gets a % (usually 10) of that. They do not make money moving a skater from one coach to another - there's not money to make there and if there were it would still clash with PSA regulations - PSA is not above banning coaches for life for ethics breeches and this is just the sort of thing that could do it so of course it doens't work in the US. Please stop making up this stuff about how the skating business works in the US - it's basically inaccurate and has nothing to do with head hunting policies or some of the ideas you imagine.

The Accordion
05-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Sometimes FSU can be a real freak show. Just sayin' :shuffle:

mossop
05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Sometimes FSU can be a real freak show. Just sayin'
:lol:.......:watch:

l'etoile
05-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Quite frankly and I don't care if this is rude. But I cant wait till Kim disappears so all the Yuna-Bots disappear with her. What a bunch of very unpleasant people you have turned out to be. Not a great representation of Kim or Korea.

You went overboard. It's highly unlikely Yuna would "disappear," so deal with it. And it's not rude, it's an ignorance of one's existence, so it's despiteful.

No, I don't like this kind of lynching, hateful, ugly atmosphere either.

But maniacs/bots/delusional fans are always there, has been there, will be there as long as there are people who are extraordinary.

os168
05-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I hate to be short about this but this is just wrong and not how agencies operate - please stop trying to give other fans inaccurate information about how the skating business actually works . There are no charges for "placements", "new sign on fees" - those fees don't exist in skating and if they did, who would pay them anyhow? Agents make their money by taking a percentage of EARNINGS they promote (in shows, events, ads, endorsements, etc.) and negotiate those contracts for their clients - then when the client is getting paid, the agent gets a % (usually 10) of that. They do not make money moving a skater from one coach to another - there's not money to make there and if there were it would still clash with PSA regulations - PSA is not above banning coaches for life for ethics breeches and this is just the sort of thing that could do it so of course it doens't work in the US. Please stop making up this stuff about how the skating business works in the US - it's basically inaccurate and has nothing to do with head hunting policies or some of the ideas you imagine.

My assumption is based on an agency business model assuming if they have an exclusive agreement with the coaches (non standard) in their hub centre, then money can be earned from the coach's side. This wouldn't apply if the coach is not signed with the agency. Otherwise if their client decide to move 10 times in 10 days, who's going to pay for agency's work on this? Agency is not a charity business, it has costs and expenses every time it do something. Just how do you think Sport Agencies make money from big name sign-ons/new team member fixtures?

This is a picture I took at World championship at Moscow 1 year ago where there are practically as much assigned seats reserved for IMG as ISU officials. Hopefully it gives you some idea of the scale of business they have to do with this sport.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8269/wc2su.jpg (please click zoom)

Just what do you think these big sport agency employees do all day, waiting by the phone for their client's instructions to earn measly 10% from representing them for skating shows, promotions and arranging freebies? The name and the format of how they charges are unimportant as long as it results in extra billing from any major bespoke services which would result in profit. 10% is California law for talent agencies in California, outside these walls with non US nationals with none standard requirements, I'd assume it would be MUCH higher than that, for the simple fact it would take a lot more time and effort and costs to manage these clients.

I dont' see how the PSA regulation would comes to this, when nothing unethical has been breached. There are no soliciting involved nor have I ever claimed. And since when does US regulations apply to the whole world?

In any case, if my assumption is wrong, just correct me. Without assumptions, no framework of argument can ever be made, so upon discover the errors, it just need to be corrected, then argument changes to what is more likely the truth, and you earn an edification, which surely is the point of a discussion forum. I am not above the fact I could be wrong certainly.

Yours truly,
- Apparently a freak.... and loving it!

(Am I the only one who bothered to read the tag line of this forum: Crazy Delirius Figure skating? ... it must mean something else in a different country then, boring, dry, politically correct zzzz...)

Ziggy
05-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I completely disagree with you. Each skater that has switched to Orser, has looked better then they did previously. Now I will agree that he hasn't solved all the skaters issues. I am not sure that any coach can make the skater do things they don't want to. When you have skaters who have left and done better then with him, you might have a leg to stand on. But you don't really have any skaters who have done better after Orser at the present. And this is why I disagree with what you are saying.

Gao looks better?

To me none of her issues have been fixed.

Fernandez is now being better packaged than he used to be, yes.

But he's been very inconsistent this season.

Hanyu won't even make the Japanese team for Sochi, if Oda could learn to count to three and Kozuka manages to look up to the crowd. :P

Hanyu has the whole package.

He's an incredible jumper, he has great spins and is capable of skating complex programs despite of his stamina issues.

He has everything to become a World/Olympic champion.

(A clean Chan is out of reach yes - but that goes for everybody including Plushenko)

t.mann
05-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I think Hanyu is 2014 OBM material & 2018 OGM(or OSM if Yan Han wins :)) material.

Ziggy
05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I think Hanyu is 2014 OBM material & 2018 OGM(or OSM if Yan Han wins :)) material.

Something like that, yes. :)

I hope he can win the battle against his asthma. :/

VarBar
05-06-2012, 10:57 PM

He's an incredible jumper, he has great spins and is capable of skating complex programs despite of his stamina issues.

(A clean Chan is out of reach yes - but that goes for everybody including Plushenko)

Totally agree.:) In fact, the men skaters I've been impressed with the most these past few years are Chan, Hanyu and more recently Han Yan for being such a natural jumper and for the overall ease in the skating.

Ziggy
05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Totally agree.:) In fact, the men skaters I've been impressed with the most these past few years are Chan, Hanyu and more recently Han Yan for being such a natural jumper and for the overall ease in the skating.

That's how I feel too! :)

Those three have a real ease of skating and strong basics (or at least most of them) and I find them to be the three most interesting male skaters competing at present as well. :)

pinky166
05-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Gao looks better?

To me none of her issues have been fixed.

Fernandez is now being better packaged than he used to be, yes.

But he's been very inconsistent this season.

Were you familiar with Gao's skating before she switched to Orser? She has improved immensely under Orser. Not everyone has what it takes to be a World Champion, but before Gao went to Orser, she was 3rd at Junior Nationals with a very low score (high 120s, 3 falls in the FS), the year before she was 12th (last) at Nationals as a novice, and the year before that she was 13th at regionals! Her improvement under Orser is very apparent and occurred very rapidly! This season was a bit of a letdown but that was likely due to her injury, growing pains, and the stress of applying to college, she had a very good 09-10 and 10-11 season.

Anyways, you are right about Hanyu - he is an immense talent. I honestly think he can beat Chan in 2014 and hopefully he will stick around until 2018 at least. A skater with that kind of talent, it doesn't matter so much who the coach is, his ability is something that cannot be taught, the most important thing is keeping the skater healthy, focused, well-trained, and protected. Orser did a great job of this with Yuna so I am sure he will do the same with Hanyu.

Ziggy
05-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Were you familiar with Gao's skating before she switched to Orser?

Yes.

I wasn't talking about her results, I was talking about her basics.

I don't see a significant improvement over her posture (one of the worst ever seen in the history of figure skating :wall:), poor skating skills and general lack of polish. Her movement is so wooden and clunky, it's painful.

If anything, she seems to look worse now because she's being given programs that don't do her any favours.

Sylvia
05-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Did Hanyu speak to the Japanese media on Sunday, May 6? It's Monday morning in Japan now.