PDA

View Full Version : Sandra Loosemore SkateWeb

Pages : [1] 2

operagirl
04-24-2012, 11:45 PM
What ever happened to Sandra Loosemore, who had the SkateWeb site. For years it was one of the few sites about skating. Her reviews were witty and fabulous and a pleasure to read.

Last time she updated the site was in 2010.

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/

jlai
04-25-2012, 12:09 AM
I got the feeling that she isn't a fan of COP, and with probably other things in life going on, slowly loses interest in the sport. :(

Sad, I used to love her national reviews and her CBS writeups.

Scrufflet
04-25-2012, 12:15 AM
She posts every once in a while on Skatefans. And she's pretty cynical about skating today. Still a wealth of knowledge though.

barbk
04-25-2012, 02:29 AM
That was one great site. Easy access to anything and everything about skating, and designed by someone who really understood how the web worked and who made a website that loaded quickly and correctly on virtually any browser, free of all the annoying design features (blinking! red text on a black background! strange watermarks!) -- and hardly ever a dead link despite having many hundreds of links on the various pages.

manleywoman
04-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Yes. It was GoldenSkate before GoldenSkate. The first place to go for all your skating resources and links.

AnnMJensen
04-25-2012, 03:40 AM
I miss SkateWeb too - Sandra did an amazing job, but COP and the politics of it all did her in I think.

essence_of_soy
04-25-2012, 05:35 AM
That was one great site. Easy access to anything and everything about skating, and designed by someone who really understood how the web worked and who made a website that loaded quickly and correctly on virtually any browser, free of all the annoying design features (blinking! red text on a black background! strange watermarks!) -- and hardly ever a dead link despite having many hundreds of links on the various pages.

I liked her site, too, and it was certainly a wealth of information.

Particularly before the advent of Youtube and streaming, where she would cover events personally, taking photographs and writing reviews.

It was a risk however, if you wanted to have your own site linked to hers, as she was very particularly about formatting. I loved Flash, especially for the drop down menus and forms, but she didn't like it or plug - ins of any kind. Maybe she foresaw iPad (LOL).

Anyway, her site is missed.

TwizzlerS
04-25-2012, 05:43 AM
I checked her user profile here and she hasn't posted since July 2011. That's well past the advent of IJS/COP so maybe she has just become interested in other things.

I agree her website was great.

TwizzlerS
04-25-2012, 05:43 AM
I checked her user profile here and she hasn't posted since July 2011. That's well past the advent of IJS/COP so maybe she has just become interested in other things.

I agree her website was great.

muffinbiscuit
04-25-2012, 12:44 PM
The last I heard she had moved to Colorado Springs. But what her current attachment is to skating, I don't know. Used her page all the time.

maureenfarone
04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I actually still use SkateWeb. A lot of the links for sites I go to all the time still work so it is still very convenient. I go back from time to time and read her reviews of past events.

I do think that the IJS and the secrecy in judging caused her to lose interest. She hasn't taken the site down, and I certainly appreciate it :respec:

snoopysnake
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
She was also a great photographer! I used Skateweb as my gateway to results before I joined fsuniverse.

If any of you haven't looked at her froggy skaters, you should. They are adorable! Reedeep!

skatesindreams
04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
I actually still use SkateWeb. A lot of the links for sites I go to all the time still work so it is still very convenient. I go back from time to time and read her reviews of past events.

I do think that the IJS and the secrecy in judging caused her to lose interest. She hasn't taken the site down, and I certainly appreciate it :respec:

This!

shine
04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Didn't she use to post under the screen name "dr.frog"? I miss her posts!

skatesindreams
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
That's correct. shine.