PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

martyross
04-24-2012, 12:30 AM
For anyone who is interested in learning some more about this pattern dance:

http://www.ice-dance.com/images/stories/pdf/compulsory/YankeePolka.pdf

it painfully resemble a trigonometry problem, but it will very useful during the season! does it describe the cd they did at 4CC? Tessa's dress was so cute, like a little umbrella (:
i hope you have fun at the show :)

Cherub721
04-24-2012, 12:49 AM
WOW. look at this. Preview of the Yankee Polka featuring a track from "Titanic".
http://youtu.be/zdc0vkcP8a0
there's hope! :D
i wonder if a team will pick this piece?

Thank you for posting... that's the first thing I've seen that makes this SD theme not scary. :D I've always wanted V&M to skate to Titanic, lol, I know its cheesy, but imagine how Tessa would look in those costumes. :swoon:

I also love this polka music from Gone with the Wind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x5DN6j1Z-0

How much polka do they need to have in their SD? Do they need to use it even outside of the compulsory patterns? There are some nice waltzes in that GWTW piece that could make a great overall program.

DaiKozOda
04-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I've read that blog entry and it seems to me that the writer is a huge fan of D&W but blind to rules.
To criticize V&M SD, with all due respect, is ridiculous. They skated it in a superb way. They were hot as hell just as a latin dance such as the rhumba requires. At some points one could even forget that they were on skates!
"I just don’t believe them emotionally on the ice". What? V&M have a great chemistry. They just look as one. While watching them you can easily believe that they are an off ice couple.
D&W are wonderful skaters and have great aspects in their performances still they don't have half the chemistry between them and, in my eyes, that hurts the overall effect of their presentation.

Shayii
04-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Wow you guys move through these threads way too fast lol. How can I be behind 2 pages already when I posted in the morning.

WOW. look at this. Preview of the Yankee Polka featuring a track from "Titanic".
http://youtu.be/zdc0vkcP8a0
there's hope! :D
i wonder if a team will pick this piece?
Omg does this qualify as polka music cuz I love it (that's one of my favorite scenes in Titanic too)! I'm totally emailing SC this though I wasn't going to send them any music suggestions cuz I didn't think they would pass it along, but you never know.

I hate to be a whimp or overly sensitive- but as a Canadian who probably needs to get a thicker skin - I have to tell you I appreciate these kind words after so much negativity towards Canada and its skaters.

Aww I'm sorry all the negative posts got you down; you try to ignore it, but sometimes it just gets to you anyways. I remember somebody (I think it was Carmen) saying a couple of threads ago when I was venting about all the hateful comments towards V/M, including people wishing they would fall during their FD at Worlds, that the hate used to be directed towards Russians, but now has shifted towards Canadians. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is why are Canadian skaters the most hated now? (not that anybody should be hated by the way).

Canada EH! :kickass:
The haters will made Canadian skaters stronger ;)
And i love Canada - beautifull nature, cities and i like Maple Leaf!

Just read blog form D-W thread. Really, what people want, when they post something like this? Especially if all know the auther is D-W uber?
They think ISU will take V-M gold and will give it to D-W? And this message is really full of hating.
I remember, how at 2003 WCh audience didnt support L-A at all. Candians, could you made the same at 2013 WCh in london with D-W? :)))))))))))))))))))))))) I am joking, but this blog was over top. And its no enough D-W had to 10 in components score at WWT. Maybe there ubers think they must have all 10 :D
I really hope V-M learn this lesson and will not use any new element (like D-W did this year), but will take super-bombastil music.
I wasn't gonna read the article after seeing people's reaction, but my curiosity got the best of me and I'm sorry, but there's no credibility in that blogger's rant at all. She has some intense hatred towards them and her comments are vile, nasty, and disgusting! Oh God please let them have kickass programs next year to quiet all these people.

I've never been to Canada, but it seems like a great country. How much does national bias play a factor in figure skating anyways? I'm American, but I just love Tessa and Scott though I have a friend who always jokes that I should move to Canada because I prefer them to D/W lol.

btw, I am going to CSOI in Toronto! I didn't think I would be able to go. I am so excited! I will fill you all in after the show!
I'm so jealous of you right now! I hope you have a great time and come back with reports please!

martyross
04-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Thank you for posting... that's the first thing I've seen that makes this SD theme not scary. :D I've always wanted V&M to skate to Titanic, lol, I know its cheesy, but imagine how Tessa would look in those costumes. :swoon:

I also love this polka music from Gone with the Wind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x5DN6j1Z-0

How much polka do they need to have in their SD? Do they need to use it even outside of the compulsory patterns? There are some nice waltzes in that GWTW piece that could make a great overall program.

oh i get emotional here. the classics' classic. and that is one of the best scenes, the famous waltz (where Gable was carried around by a machine because didnt know how to dance lol)

yep Shayii, that is an Irish Polka and it was posted on Addicted FB group, so who knows, Scott could drop by and see it! hehe, we're practically arranging their whole season :D

i think among Canadian skaters only Chan and TS are hated. WP are very much respected. yep, its getting more and more a nation thing, replacing Russia. thats why i was wondering if there's some sort of cultural rivalry between USA and Canada.
Carmen should post more often!

Shayii
04-24-2012, 01:45 AM
lol I know martyross. Have you guys seen this picture (http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/576364_10151558753635121_437001465120_24072380_168 4370612_n.jpg)? They look so good! I wonder when it was taken?

ETA: Also the cover of International Figure Skating Magazine (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560714_10150987079392538_278550292537_13375492_152 3269852_n.jpg)

walei
04-24-2012, 02:28 AM
The blog is just ridiculous. Skimmed over it and it's already making me mad.

"Failed free dance from last year." The writer REALLY used that word?

and

"Judges never embraced team from the US." Was I dreaming when D/W was in a winning streak with higher than sky marks?

All the responses both on that blog and on the other thread with comments like it's preposterous that Meryl and Charlie didn't get the levels and gave no solid reason. HELLO? WTT M/C still had problems getting those levels and it's a competition where they were showered with love.

Of course when expert analysis are given on why they were mark down, "Nope I refuse to listen because it's all POLITIKS. That's the only reason." To loosely quote someone from another pbp thread earlier in this competition, "D/W can take literally take dump on the ice and they would still cry from tears and think it should be level 4".

martyross
04-24-2012, 03:02 AM
mmh and when they went right into the old thread just to call sour grapes people who dont go nuts for a team event? i mean, that was almost stalkerish. wasnt enough trashing Scott everywhere? what more do they want, our heads on a silver plate? (wow im so dramatic hahaha)

puglover
04-24-2012, 03:03 AM
Figure Skating is one of the things I really feel passionate about and so it makes me so sad when I read ugly, nasty things said about beautiful young people trying their hearts out. We all have favourites, patriotic biases and appreciate different things but all the bashing puts me off. I am one who used to go to the cafeteria when the ice dancers came on and I am so glad to live at a time when the ice dancers are such a highlight. I thought the final flight of ice dance in Nice was so amazing - breathtaking, incredible and team after wonderful team really delivered. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I was happy Tessa and Scott won, but I felt all figure skating fans were the real winners after such a fantastic event.

ddtpdx
04-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Like many of you, just finished reading the blog and I was surprised at my reaction. I laughed my head off...because that is the reaction that it deserves.

I think the reason that V/M and Chan are receiving all the hate is that they are currently the best and both are Canadians - it's just not right to have Canada lead in 2 disciplines. What makes it worse is that D/W is really the US's best (if not only) shot for gold. I'm pretty sure if W/P were the top dance team, they would receive the same hate, if not now, eventually.

martyross
04-24-2012, 03:52 AM
well, we already have a Polka music selection: its Mary Poppins, for Gilles/Poirier.

figuristka
04-24-2012, 04:07 AM
My gosh this blogger knows nothing about Ice Dancing. They clearly just wanted a place to vent. One can either get angry or find it laughable, i just feel sorry for the fans of D/W who don't have alot of knowledge and believe it. A quote from the blogger
"they always seem to miss the specific qualities of the music when they do try to tell a story. I just donít believe them emotionally on the ice. There is always a disconnect between the story of the music and the story on the ice"

Now for a quote about V/M by one of the most artistic and talented skater's of this time.

"When you watch ice dance they will have almost the same beginning of the footwork, because they have to do those deep edges with difficult turns; the twizzles. On the other hand I think it's interesting because the fantastic champions still, even with all those rules, find new things and bring more than just the elements. That's why I love Tessa and Scott (Virtue/Moir), because when you watch them you don't see the rules, you see the story, the emotion." Stephane Lambiel.

walei
04-24-2012, 04:23 AM
You know, I was thinking just a few days ago that for next year maybe V/M should do a uber crowd pleasing piece to crowd pleasing music like DF or Latin FD. When they are so close technically with D/W, crowd reception may play a role in the PCS mark (although next World's is in London).

Now I am changing my tunes. V/M should continue to grow as artists in the direction they want. FF was not as crowd pleasing and even got poor reviews solely because of the music. But darn it Tessa and Scott to me grew a whole lot as artists and performers and DANCERS skating to something they believe in and can invest their hearts in. If next season they pick another piece of music that can bring them to new heights as Ice Dancers, they can skate to Requiem to a Dream for all I care. actually not really but you know what I mean :P

martyross
04-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Now, watch this! i borrowed the clip from the Polka preview and made a new one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-SDJqkgRIc&feature=youtu.be

I'm sure you'll love the music! it's an amazing, infectious jig called "The Irish washerwoman" and well, i think it would make the best SD of the season :swoon:

Zazy
04-24-2012, 04:51 AM
I'm pretty sure if W/P were the top dance team, they would receive the same hate, if not now, eventually.

I'm not so sure. W/P have an in your face crowd-pleasing style and that counts for a lot. D/W's skating has a big excitement factor to it and it's not suprising that they would have wider audience appeal than V/M with their subtle style. I think a number of people (like this particular blogger) don't get V/M at all and are completely mystified at their scores, which leads to all the hating. They're not for everyone and that's fine, but it would be nice if people could accept that a performance that they personally didn't like could legitimately deserve to win.

The thing about ice dance is that there are so many aspects that go into analyzing a performance and it's largely subjective. Depending on what you emphasize, what's important to you, you could make a good case for how D/W deserved to win worlds. Then again, you could also make a good case for D/W being third in the SD and V/M winning by an even wider margin. Sometimes the judges reward things that you don't value highly or barely notice, doesn't mean that your favourites were automatically robbed, maybe just a difference of opinion on what ice dance should be. I'll admit that D/W's brand of ice dancing doesn't appeal much to me at all and I don't particularly want ice dance to go in that direction. It doesn't mean they are gifted their scores, even if it does feel that way sometimes...