PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

martyross
04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
nah, i don't see Bianchetti gushing over DW and call it a scandal. She will have her preferences like everyone but is pretty fair and equal in her reviews. And even if she says DW should have won Worlds, is her opinion more valuable than the one of many other knowledgeable, educated fans here? She has been a judge for many years just like the judges who were at Worlds. Like Tarasova, she's not the truth's mouth.

Btw, i recently read one of the old threads, "Mujer latina" and found this great comment by Carmen Ovsiannikov.
"Look at what V&M are doing on the ice and how well they are doing it. I'm surprised that some are basing their opinions on where V&M should finish soley by whether they personally like the choice of music and choreography. (...) It's one thing for casual fans to be moved by what they feel is more exciting music and moves but I thought that many who watch skating enough to post their opinions about it on message boards would acknowledge there is more to the marks (or there should be) than whose music was better.
I'm only saying that because the main comment I hear about those who feel V&M are being unfairly held up is that their programs are boring. I found Yu Na Kim's, S&Z's and Evan Lysacek's LP's boring last season but understand why they won the gold.
All the above is only IMO of course."
I think any fan who wants to engage "fights" with the judges' decisions should bare in mind that COP is not "the program I like the most should win".

HSGP21
04-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I do agree that it was a red flag that the judges marks from GPF to 4CC to Worlds to WTT varied so much, especially the last two where there was such a large margin between D/W and V/M in both events, but with different winners... I do not think any specific federation is to blame, however, I think the system is still just flawed. As shown so clearly by this forum, you typically LOVE one team, and therefore find flaws in the other and believe your team is truly better. I don't think the judges are much different, even though they should be.

What I would love next year is for V/M and D/W to pick similar music so we could really compare apples to apples :) While I trust their plan, and suspect they will have very different programs again, it would be interesting to see! (And I have a hunch which team would appear stronger :)

posted mine right as the quote was posted above... I agree, COP shouldn't be "which program you like better," but it seems PCS are being used that way as of late....

Bournekraatzfan
04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
About that blog, I wish that at least that person brought some facts, like technical knownledge and understanding of COP, before calling out the "judging scandal".

THIS! This is how I feel about so much of what is written about figure skating. I do wish bloggers and journalists could point to exactly how the rules were incorrectly applied before declaring a result a scandal. Failing to do so makes it difficult to take their arguments seriously. From what I have read and heard, figure skating is already in a precarious position in terms of viewership and network support in Canada and the U.S., so I always worry that articles/blog entries like this will help contribute to its disappearance here.

alice73
04-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Canada EH! :kickass:
The haters will made Canadian skaters stronger ;)
And i love Canada - beautifull nature, cities and i like Maple Leaf!

Just read blog form D-W thread. Really, what people want, when they post something like this? Especially if all know the auther is D-W uber?
They think ISU will take V-M gold and will give it to D-W? And this message is really full of hating.
I remember, how at 2003 WCh audience didnt support L-A at all. Candians, could you made the same at 2013 WCh in london with D-W? :)))))))))))))))))))))))) I am joking, but this blog was over top. And its no enough D-W had to 10 in components score at WWT. Maybe there ubers think they must have all 10 :D
I really hope V-M learn this lesson and will not use any new element (like D-W did this year), but will take super-bombastil music.
I saw this blog too, and all the hatred made me sad. But then I remembered what Krylova said about Scott, that he is genius ice dancer, and that V/M are the best. So I'll take her opinion over some blogger's any day.

pani
04-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I saw this blog too, and all the hatred made me sad. But then I remembered what Krylova said about Scott, that he is genius ice dancer, and that V/M are the best. So I'll take her opinion over some blogger's any day.

And Zhulin said after SD D-W must be under P-B and V-M are leaders without questions.
And even Shehovtsova said, V-M were much better in SD, then others :D
But blogger talk about V-M like about junior skaters, who could skate in music at all :(

Bournekraatzfan
04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
http://ohyeahvirtuemoirgifs.tumblr.com/post/14949853373

Thanks, pani. These gif things are so cool! I really liked the one of Tessa and Scott dancing during their intro at the 4CC gala.

I, too, love that lift, and would live to see them bring some parts of it back. I also miss 'the temptation lift' and would be happy to see it return. I think my favourite lift is the combo lift from Funny Face. I just love how Tessa just throws her upper body back without hesitation--what an incredible amount of balance and stability. And as much as I love the goose, I would like to see them put it away for a while cuz they have so many cool lifts that deserve attention and would fit better with the music.

martyross
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Hey! Irish dance! I might actually live with that for the polka SD.
it is infact "John Ryan's Polka". wow. Irish Polka with fiddles and all would be GREAT. but i'm sure there are a lot of cool Canadian polkas as well. :)

Bournekraatzfan
04-23-2012, 11:19 PM

This is the same blogger who insulted Jackie Wong and questioned his journalistic credibility, ironically enough. Perhaps this blogger should take a closer look at his/her/their own work.

clarie
04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
I used to go into the D/W thread but now I don't for reasons mentioned above. I don't really know what goes on in there and don't want to know as they are no longer my second favorite team.

Bournekraatzfan
04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
it is infact "John Ryan's Polka". wow. Irish Polka with fiddles and all would be GREAT. but i'm sure there are a lot of cool Canadian polkas as well. :)

Yes, I enjoyed that. Thank you for posting it. I don't dislike polka, but I'm not crazy about it...I am curious to see what the SDs will look like next season. I wonder how teams will incorporate this pattern dance into their programs and how much variety we will get. I guess we will have to wait and see. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

For anyone who is interested in learning some more about this pattern dance:

http://www.ice-dance.com/images/stories/pdf/compulsory/YankeePolka.pdf

alice73
04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
And Zhulin said after SD D-W must be under P-B and V-M are leaders without questions.
And even Shehovtsova said, V-M were much better in SD, then others :D
But blogger talk about V-M like about junior skaters, who could skate in music at all :(

The blogger is no expert. He(she) claims to be a long-time figure skating follower but appears to be biased. It's sad that others will read his opinion and will treat it as fact. But we can't control that. So let's enjoy T/S skating and all the wonderful things that real ice dance experts and their peers say about them.

Bournekraatzfan
04-23-2012, 11:51 PM
I used to go into the D/W thread but now I don't for reasons mentioned above.

I know what you mean. It can be difficult to navigate when you love both teams (especially since I love V&M a bit more)...I find most of the discussion in there interesting and respectful, but some posts are unkind toward V&M and/or their fans and that is unfortunate. Again, it is just a small group of posters (the same ones every time) who engage in that kind of behaviour, and, ironically enough, some of them are the first ones to accuse V&M fans and others of tearing down D&W. I sometimes feel awkward saying something because that is construed by some as ubering V&M (and ubering in this case has a negative connotation). I just wish things didn't have to be this way among fans. There is so much great skating to love, why the hate?

Bournekraatzfan
04-23-2012, 11:54 PM
btw, I am going to CSOI in Toronto! I didn't think I would be able to go. I am so excited! I will fill you all in after the show!

professordeb
04-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Well I just went and tried to read that blog and I got so angry that I couldn't go any further than a couple of paragraphs. Too bad said blogger -- who has been a fan of skating for so long -- apparently doesn't get COP.

Stupid is as stupid does and that's one very stupid blog.

jl22aries
04-24-2012, 12:17 AM
It's getting easier and easier to ignore those types of posts and the people who write them, because their criticisms are utterly misguided. They can scream till they are hoarse, but their message has no meaning or value to me. So to that end, they have absolutely no power. I can thank the FSU Haterz for really helping me actualize this life lesson.

Bounekraatzfan, you must regale us with tidbits from the show!