PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Shayii
05-08-2012, 03:47 AM
makes sense that tessa and scott get to pitch lindt if they're sponsored by them. for joannie's skates, ads for coldfx were broadcasted on each of the video screens.
Yes that's true I guess I thought all the sponsors were only associated to SOI. But this is good for them. Is this the only sponsor they have?

girlscouse62
05-08-2012, 07:12 AM
I thought they had cotracts with Roots and Body Shop. Has that changed?

Shayii
05-08-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the Roots deal fell through or something. I don't know about Body Shop though, was that the one they did with the lotion thing?

HSGP21
05-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Roots posted on facebook when someone asked that they were not longer working with them, and have removed all of their pictures/videos from their sites :(

DORISPULASKI
05-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know what went wrong with Roots?

I thought that looked like an ideal match of athletes and product :(

HSGP21
05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know what went wrong with Roots?

I thought that looked like an ideal match of athletes and product :(

It appears they are not doing any of the outfitting for Skate Canada anymore, and as far as we know Tessa and Scott have been 'managed' essentially by skate canada, so I have to imagine it was an issue with them...purely speculation!

tut88
05-08-2012, 12:42 PM
I LOVE Tessa and Scott,
but I love ice-dance generally also, and I don't like teams being always copared to each other ( non technically speaking ) .
They each have their own qualities and chemistries. THey are just different, and this is the beauty of this sport !
I'm a little annoyed by this V/M Vs W/P thing, they are different, technically, as team and as persons.
THeir chemestry is different because they are different so as their stories.

About Massimo, I think it's normal from a coach to say that the gap between your team and the first is "minimal " and that to reach the top is possible.
Everyone believes in that, otherwise we will have only 2 teams competing and not 24 !

For the Canadian nationals, in my experience, judges always tend to give the highest marks to put the athelts to the international competitions with a higher base point.
It's totally normal, but this works for V/M too !
:)

rvi5
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Yea about this. I'm curious as to whether they had the intention of skating funny face as if they were bringing people in cuz I felt they were trying to project to the audience. I'm also curious to know if they use the same philosophy for all their programs. I'll be surprised if that was their intent with the latin FD cuz that was so blatantly projecting to the audience for me.

I think what they are saying, is what they feel works best for them. However, that does not necessarily mean they always remember to follow that plan. It is likely too easy to get caught-up in trying to win, or selling a routine if you are concerned it may not be as well accepted has you had hoped.

As I understand it, Funny Face was something Tessa had wanted to perform for 4-5 years. Their coaches kept saying no, until this past season. People have suggested V/M didn't have the full support of their coaches, who appeared to prefer if D/W had won with the routine they had developed for them. Certainly many people on this board who didn't get the nuances, criticized FF (especially if they were D/W ubers).

sap5
05-08-2012, 02:22 PM
As I understand it, Funny Face was something Tessa had wanted to perform for 4-5 years. Their coaches kept saying no, until this past season. People have suggested V/M didn't have the full support of their coaches, who appeared to prefer if D/W had won with the routine they had developed for them. Certainly many people on this board who didn't get the nuances, criticized FF (especially if they were D/W ubers).

Hmm, this Marina interview suggests that she supported FF: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?35361-New-Interview-with-Marina-Zoueva&p=593077&viewfull=1#post593077 Of course, the translation is garbled! Maybe someone can translate it better?

It appears they are not doing any of the outfitting for Skate Canada anymore, and as far as we know Tessa and Scott have been 'managed' essentially by skate canada, so I have to imagine it was an issue with them...purely speculation!

:confused: Where did you hear this? I thought David Pelletier was acting as their agent?

flowerpower
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Skate Canada doesn't manage or represent skaters. Dave Pelletier was said to have helped out for a while around the time of the Olympics, but there has been no mention of that for a very long time.

V/M don't seem to use major agency representation, but Tessa's father is a senior partner in a law firm that has a sports management branch, so that that firm could easily represent them in contract negotiations.

Hmm, this Marina interview suggests that she supported FF: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?35361-New-Interview-with-Marina-Zoueva&p=593077&viewfull=1#post593077 Of course, the translation is garbled! Maybe someone can translate it better??

Tessa has said in interviews that Funny Face was originally her idea but that when she raised it, their coaches felt that it "wasn't the right time". She said that Marina brought the idea back this season.

Rafter
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Roots never outfitted Skate Canada. The Roots deal definitely fell through, very odd that they have eliminated all association with V&M.

I believe their other sponsors are Audi Canada and PricewaterhouseCoopers.

flowerpower
05-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Roots never outfitted Skate Canada. The Roots deal definitely fell through, very odd that they have eliminated all association with V&M. .

The economy hasn't exactly been booming, and all of the Olympic buzz in the media evaporated quickly. Maybe Roots felt the deal was too rich to benefit them economically - they could advertise more cheaply with unknowns. Their initial photoshoot with V/M was standard collegiate couple stuff - they didn't need athletes for that.

Yes.

sap5
05-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Roots never outfitted Skate Canada. The Roots deal definitely fell through, very odd that they have eliminated all association with V&M.

Are they still working with The Body Shop? Or was that just a one-off appearance?

The economy hasn't exactly been booming, and all of the Olympic buzz in the media evaporated quickly. Maybe Roots felt the deal was too rich to benefit them economically - they could advertise more cheaply with unknowns. Their initial photoshoot with V/M was standard collegiate couple stuff - they didn't need athletes for that.

That's a shame. I agree with Doris, it seemed like Roots and V/M were a perfect match.

On the other hand, that initial photoshoot looked awful. The make-up and overall look was just wrong.

flowerpower
05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Are they still working with The Body Shop? Or was that just a one-off appearance?

No idea. Might have been one-off.

That's a shame. I agree with Doris, it seemed like Roots and V/M were a perfect match.

On the other hand, that initial photoshoot looked awful. The make-up and overall look was just wrong.

Exactly! That photoshoot had them made-up and air-brushed so that they didn't even look like themselves. Totally generic. It made me think that Roots didn't get it - why bother using them at all? Might as well use any attractive young models.

Compare it to those photos the Finnish clothing company Lutai did in the impromptu shoot at Finlandia - those were much more charming, with no special preparation.

Bournekraatzfan
05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
last of my V&M SOI thoughts (sorry if I am rambling--not much time these last few days, so I couldn't write everything all at once):

Tessa and Scott were so perfect for this show because they not only performed really well in their own numbers but also in the ensemble numbers. They work so well in groups, as they never get lost in them but they also do not call all the attention to themselves (although my attention is often drawn to them). They really connect with the other skaters, and they direct their energy towards the group and the audience.
I also think this show really highlighted their versatility, as they were in so many numbers that had different styles of music and choreography and they rocked them all. They just know how to move, and everything they did looked so natural. These two feel the music in their bones.

Tessa was just awesome in the women’s number, “Good Feeling.” I love this song, and found the choreography really interesting. She had great energy and her timing was awesome. She seemed to be so comfortable with the choreography that she could just let go and dance. I especially love how she showed the contrast between the short quick steps that correspond to the quicker tempo and the longer and slower movements that accompany the breaks and longer notes in the music. Tessa has little things she does with her neck and shoulders that accentuate what she is doing with the rest of her body. As pani said, she is a real star!

In the “Up” ensemble number, Tessa’s eyes widen when Scott picks her up and the way she protests is so cute. And Scott’s surprise and delight at the news came through clearly. I had a really good view of their faces, and was so impressed at how they acted out this scene. And they captured the lilt of the music beautifully. Also, when they were making their exit, they softened their steps to capture the fade out of the music. Their steps were so perfectly timed to the music—they seemed to finish stepping down at the exact time the note concluded (I thought of you, Golightly, when I was watching this part).

In one part of the “Rolling In the Deep” number, some of the skaters stopped in front of the end of the rink I was facing (right in front of the people with on-ice seats) and Tessa was just beaming. She was smiling so much she was almost laughing--you could tell she was really enjoying herself.

I hope tapper88, jl22aries, The Accordion, and everyone else who will be attending have a wonderful time! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the show:)