PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Scrufflet
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAwkd__dpg
So beautifull. I like abstract programs with feeling in it, with special mood. But i am sire, most FS fans think this is boring program.

Gorgeous program! I loved this team!

flowerpower
05-07-2012, 05:17 PM
And sorry, but i couldnt compare skating skills, bidy movements, likes wich have VM with W-P. Not all have such talent. But W-P are audience friendly guys :D

Yes, I know. I respect W/P for working hard, not giving up when they seemed to lack support, etc. They have improved technically and become much better competitors. They are very enjoyable to watch, very good ice dancers, but there is still a significant gap between them and V/M in technique, precision, line and musicality. Even W/P's coach Krylova says that V/M are #1 in her eyes, and talks about them having the highest level of skill - Krylova says that V/M "have reached a level when they can just give in to dance".

IMO if Zoueva/Shpilband want to give V/M an opportunity to stay on top, given current trends, they need to give V/M choreo that demonstrates their technical abilities, shows real emotion, AND is audience-pleasing. V/M are capable of all these things, and they deserve the choreo that will show it. They didn't get that choreo this year, and it disappoints me.

Personally I'd love to see an abstract conceptual number, modern dance, or a mature and subtle emotional piece. But I don't think those would help them with the audience or judges, given current trends. And as very competitive athletes, V/M still care about winning.

clarie
05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Just beautiful. I liked that team immensely, and feel that they were underrated at the time.

zilam98
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAwkd__dpg
So beautifull. I like abstract programs with feeling in it, with special mood. But i am sure, most FS fans think this is boring program.

i do have to say that v/m have more chemistry and sensuality than d/v who were husband and wife then ;) at that time, anissina/peizerat even had more romantic chemistry between them than d/v. can someone please explain?

jl22aries
05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
i do have to say that v/m have more chemistry and sensuality than d/v who were husband and wife then ;) at that time, anissina/peizerat even had more romantic chemistry between them than d/v. can someone please explain?

I've heard it said that chemistry is more often easily achieved by two people who have not been romantic in real life. For actors I've heard that when the two people actually don't get along off set, they're especially on fire in front of the camera.

I think a lot of what composes chemistry is tension; tension from anticipatory and unfulfilled desire, from the excitement of the undiscovered, from the taboo (akin to "I want you but I shouldn't or I can't"), or from power struggle. So many of the sexiest dances really just centre around the basic male/female, push/pull tension. When you're comfortably domesticated, that tension might just be harder to duplicate.

I'm also someone who had not planned on going to SOI this year, but immediately after the Halifax reports started coming in, you guys helped change my mind. Also, I admit, knowing that Kurt choreographed the show makes a huge difference. What a brilliant new direction. Hopefully it has piqued the curiosity of others such as myself who had written off SOI as a little old fashioned and predictable.

Does anyone know how their ticket sales are doing this year as compared to past seasons?

HSGP21
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
I've heard it said that chemistry is more often easily achieved by two people who have not been romantic in real life. For actors I've heard that when the two people actually don't get along off set, they're especially on fire in front of the camera.

I think a lot of what composes chemistry is tension; tension from anticipatory and unfulfilled desire, from the excitement of the undiscovered, from the taboo (akin to "I want you but I shouldn't or I can't"), or from power struggle. So many of the sexiest dances really just centre around the basic male/female, push/pull tension. When you're comfortably domesticated, that tension might just be harder to duplicate.

How does that explain Gordeeva and Grinkov? Dubreuil and Lauzon?

sorry, just playing devil's advocate!

iggie
05-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Just spotted that Tessa & Scott will be doing autograph & photo ops at the Lindt stores in Winnipeg and Vancouver (actually New West) while they're on the CSOI tour.

Winnipeg Lindt Outlet Boutique
When: Thursday, 10th May 2012, between 5pm and 7pm

New Westminster Lindt Outlet Boutique (it's in Queensborough -- not exactly the most accessible location, but it is kinda central)
When: Thursday, 17th May 2012, between 5pm and 7pm

Info: http://www.lindt.com/ca/swf/eng/conn.../stars-on-ice/

(someone posted this in the other part of the forum)

jl22aries
05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Ha, no worries HSG. I like constructive debate.

My statement wasn't an absolute. I was speaking in the "sometimes/often/could" range. So take my last sentence, it might be harder to duplicate chemistry in your performance if you're in a long term committed relationship, but it's still possible!

But, really? I don't have a clue why some people just click perfectly.

Partly it could be a distinction between whether the team is performing outwards, or skating for each other, that affects our perception of whether or not the team has that magical mysterious kismet thing. For me, as soon as it appears too deliberately performative, it stops being a magical intimate connection. It's still awesome and if well acted, it can be convincing and effective, and moving. But performative connection is just not the same as a boy and a girl out on the ice, seemingly unaware of every one else except the other, looking at each other, and moving as one.

Or maybe it just all comes down to some neurological algorithm, like pheromonal responses or something. Anyone?

clarie
05-08-2012, 01:11 AM
pheromonal responses Now that makes sense jl22aries. I experienced that very same thing with my male singing partner (show band circa '70's). We had such a connection that everyone, everywhere we went thought we were a "couple", but my SO was sitting back on percussion and I never gave him the time of day on stage :lol: It's about making a "bond" on a different level and forgetting about reality. I'm not very adept at explaining it, but it's either there or it's not.

rvi5
05-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Partly it could be a distinction between whether the team is performing outwards, or skating for each other, that affects our perception of whether or not the team has that magical mysterious kismet thing. For me, as soon as it appears too deliberately performative, it stops being a magical intimate connection. It's still awesome and if well acted, it can be convincing and effective, and moving. But performative connection is just not the same as a boy and a girl out on the ice, seemingly unaware of every one else except the other, looking at each other, and moving as one.

Here is Tessa and Scott's take on it...

“It is what we have found works best,” Moir says. “When we think about making the people in the audience happy, or trying to make them feel something, it kind of goes to waste. Usually we have our best skates when we just think about each other, and we just think about being in unison, and think about the program we’re trying to do.”

“Instead we think about bringing people in,” Virtue says about their routines. “We’re inviting people into this little world in this moment, and we want people to share it with us, instead of reaching out to them.”

Source: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/05/05/tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir-might-go-unrecognized-on-the-street-but-not-the-ice/

martyross
05-08-2012, 01:16 AM
It was not a real question, it was more a reflection made after he said he thought his teams could place higher than the Canton teams in the next years. After he said that, I said that actually at canadian nationals the score between the two top teams were very close, and usually the judges leave a big gap between team number one and number two, so that if the number one makes a mistake (as it happened at canadian nationals), its point are still much higher than number two's.
And by the way, do you expect a coach to say something negative about his pupils? Maybe he should have said that the third place for P/B and the fourth for W/P was the best result they could aim at?

well, that Weaver/Poje improved a lot is obvious :) but Nationals, in the end, are a weird beast. and they don't count that much if we talk about worlds top teams. Canadian judges gave W/P a boost in the PCS (34.68, while at the GPF it was 31.96). i don't think they really wanted to give the message that they are reaching Tessa and Scott, but rather they inflated (don't like the term) their PCS to make look Weaver/Poje better for later international results. to me, they are not yet at the point to get 8.25-9.00 in skating skills, for example. National scores are what they are, what counts the most is results at Worlds. otherwise, we should also take the 8's for Gilles/Poirier seriously, and i refuse to do that :D
i surely understand Scali's passion for his discipline and his teams. what i said of "being not diplomatic yet" in interviews was just a remark about how coaches usually talk about their teams' rivals and the competition beetween them. while probably thinking differently, but coaches are supposed to be balanced and wise-sounding in interviews. not sure why you imply that for me Scali should talk negatively of his students. :) it would be pretty strange to think like that.

iggie
05-08-2012, 03:28 AM
new sponsor? (http://www.lindt.com/ca/swf/eng/connoisseurs/stars-on-ice/)

HSGP21
05-08-2012, 03:34 AM
Whatever makes their connection possible, it is undeniably special : https://twitter.com/#!/MarthaAAnthony/status/199631180784607232/photo/1

Has been holding this girl's hands everyday for 15 years and yet he looks at them like they are something special...

Shayii
05-08-2012, 03:42 AM
pheromonal responses Now that makes sense jl22aries. I experienced that very same thing with my male singing partner (show band circa '70's). We had such a connection that everyone, everywhere we went thought we were a "couple", but my SO was sitting back on percussion and I never gave him the time of day on stage :lol: It's about making a "bond" on a different level and forgetting about reality. I'm not very adept at explaining it, but it's either there or it's not.
That's so cool you used to be in a band! Do you still sing?

Here is Tessa and Scott's take on it...

“It is what we have found works best,” Moir says. “When we think about making the people in the audience happy, or trying to make them feel something, it kind of goes to waste. Usually we have our best skates when we just think about each other, and we just think about being in unison, and think about the program we’re trying to do.”

“Instead we think about bringing people in,” Virtue says about their routines. “We’re inviting people into this little world in this moment, and we want people to share it with us, instead of reaching out to them.”

Source: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/05/05/tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir-might-go-unrecognized-on-the-street-but-not-the-ice/
Yea about this. I'm curious as to whether they had the intention of skating funny face as if they were bringing people in cuz I felt they were trying to project to the audience. I'm also curious to know if they use the same philosophy for all their programs. I'll be surprised if that was their intent with the latin FD cuz that was so blatantly projecting to the audience for me.

new sponsor? (http://www.lindt.com/ca/swf/eng/connoisseurs/stars-on-ice/)
I saw this and I was surprised cuz I thought Lindt was sponsoring SOI in general, not specifically Tessa and Scott. But good for them!

HSGP21 that's a beautiful pic! I rmr seeing it on twitter. And this one (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562565_10150865329804057_826899056_9505679_4628173 94_n.jpg) was on facebook.

iggie
05-08-2012, 03:45 AM
makes sense that tessa and scott get to pitch lindt if they're sponsored by them. for joannie's skates, ads for coldfx were broadcasted on each of the video screens.