PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

iggie
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
yep you can change either pair or ice dance, and either lady or man. I don't understand what you mean in the second sentence, I'm sorry :(

what i mean is that someone was wondering, if all the number one teams (dance, pairs, singles) could sit out and let the second ranked teams (the ones not really up for an individual medal) compete. if the switching is limited, at least 2 of your number 1 teams will have to compete in the team event.

kapriza
05-06-2012, 09:03 PM
After Shayii's post of favourite montages I thought I'd share this one with you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcEvwVfslE - I really love how it shows Scott's goofy side and so much of it makes me laugh, the song is very sweet too. I had to download the song after I first heard this and had it on repeat for something like 30 minutes :)

this is one of my favorites too! :)
talking about montages, I just love all works by jpenelopest (http://www.youtube.com/user/jpenelopest?feature=watch)
the newest one is just :swoon:
"What's a soulmate?"
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64nJMs7a63g)

pingu
05-06-2012, 09:03 PM
what i mean is that someone was wondering, if all the number one teams (dance, pairs, singles) could sit out and let the second ranked teams (the ones not really up for an individual medal) compete. if the switching is limited, at least 2 of your number 1 teams will have to compete in the team event.

Thanks for explaining it! I don't know about that...

jl22aries
05-06-2012, 10:29 PM
It's from the Calgary Stampede in 2010, and here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsD_7GXuab4) its current video link. :)

Thanks!

It sounds like the Toronto posse had an amazing time. I'm loving the replay of your experiences!

London seems so far away and I have no idea if I'll have commitments by then. But it would be a dream to go. And I do think it would be completely conceivable for VM fans to connect at future events, it's just a matter of timing and making up our minds.

jl22aries
05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
A country can decide to use two different skaters for performing the SP and LP. For example, Canada could decide to let Weaver/Poje skate the SD and Virtue/Moir the FD: http://www.artonice.it/?q=en/node/11950

That's a very interesting rule, allows for some wiggle room. Maybe the federations will cooperatively strategize by having their number two team compete with the other's number one team in the SD, and vice versa in the FD. The main rivals wouldn't have to meet up until the individual event, very a la the grand prix series.

Shayii
05-06-2012, 11:10 PM
After Shayii's post of favourite montages I thought I'd share this one with you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcEvwVfslE - I really love how it shows Scott's goofy side and so much of it makes me laugh, the song is very sweet too. I had to download the song after I first heard this and had it on repeat for something like 30 minutes :)
Thank you twinktwink! I've never seen this video before, I love it! Oh Scott he's such a character, he's got a lot of personality that's for sure lol. Also I'm pretty sure lavenderblue made this video (hope she doesn't mind me saying so), great job I hope you make more!!

Also regarding the team event in Sochi, I still think they should have it after the individual competitions.

And thanks everybody for posting new video from SOI.

martyross
05-07-2012, 12:09 AM
What an interesting ice dance World. This coaching team were so warm with Tessa and Scott and look, what he said about them andhe is ice dancer :D
So maybe we didnt know a lot off inside things and this why V-M couldnt chage coaches.

i like you're being ---> :mitchell: at Scali's comments ^^ (if i understood your tone correctly)
if i remember well, Scali criticized Mahler program's style. he is a former Italian ice dancer and this matters when expressing his thoughts, because Italian skating style is quite classic and sentimental (maybe a tad old-fashioned), and very oriented toward the performance side. He himself said Detroit school is trying to get back the "emotion" in ice dance (doing a little bit of a generalization about the rest of the competitors, because Tessa and Scott emote A LOT, but yeah, there's maybe an inconscious attempt to drag them down from the throne :) ) Camerlengo was also Faiella-Scali's choreographer. I'm not actually that enthusiast about Camerlengo's programs in general. Too many "obvious" gestures and facial expressions, even melodramatic at times. in the end, his works don't go deep down in the meaning of the music, and at times it gets almost cheesy, you know. obviously, Raisport commentators hype him to the stars at every single competition and maybe that's why i'm starting having doubts. :P
Not that i'm saying that my opinion on his work is the truth, of course. some people prefer the raw, straightforward emotion, and some other, the subtlelty and sophistication. Maybe the problem is when people start to identify the first style as "true, sincere art as opposed to the calculated, cold Canton material"
But, true or not, the refrain that "Detroit choreos are better" will keep growing in the next year.
The point is, regarding the part on the SD competition at Canadians, that the question was made in a manner to let him make hymns of his team (WP), imo :P he is not a main coach, so he has not learned yet to be more diplomatic expressing his convinctions. and any coach thinks that the beloved pupil "is the best in the world", it's part of their job, and also a matter of ego :P But the true fact is that PCS are not about "the hot emotion" conveyed by a team. Part of it is skating skills, which is very important, (and maybe shouldn't have been thrown in a mix with Performance and Interpretation). Tessa and Scott's skating skills are much above Weaver and Poje's, it's obvious. but it will be included in this simplified sigla, PCS, and its going up and down in certain controversal occasions mislead the fans who also tend to simplify what they saw, basing on their own emotional response and preferences.

The Accordion
05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Your posts all convinced me to go to Stars on Ice. Just bought a ticket to the show in Victoria!

pingu
05-07-2012, 12:55 AM
The point is, regarding the part on the SD competition at Canadians, that the question was made in a manner to let him make hymns of his team (WP), imo :P

It was not a real question, it was more a reflection made after he said he thought his teams could place higher than the Canton teams in the next years. After he said that, I said that actually at canadian nationals the score between the two top teams were very close, and usually the judges leave a big gap between team number one and number two, so that if the number one makes a mistake (as it happened at canadian nationals), its point are still much higher than number two's.
And by the way, do you expect a coach to say something negative about his pupils? Maybe he should have said that the third place for P/B and the fourth for W/P was the best result they could aim at?

iggie
05-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Your posts all convinced me to go to Stars on Ice. Just bought a ticket to the show in Victoria!

enjoy!!!

Bournekraatzfan
05-07-2012, 01:24 AM

Wonderful! I hope you have a great time (I am sure you will ;) )

clarie
05-07-2012, 02:10 AM

Good for you!!! The you can give us a report on what went down on the coast :) Enjoy.

The Accordion
05-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks everyone! It is quite a drive (2 and a half hours) so I am hoping to remember everything the next day to tell you!

Rafter
05-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Scali: I have heard several comments in the past days about Weaver/Poje and many people liked them better than Virtue/Moir. Maybe they are not technically at their level, but from an emotional point of view they were the best, the Free Dance was wonderful. In two years with the right preparation and the right programs they could maybe not overcome them, but get very close.

What an interesting ice dance World. This coaching team were so warm with Tessa and Scott and look, what he said about them andhe is ice dancer :D
So maybe we didnt know a lot off inside things and this why V-M couldnt chage coaches.

Yes that's true. But it also makes you realize that V&M need better music choices for the FD and better choreography. I'm not convinced they're going to get it from Zoueva/Shpilband.

Rafter
05-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Me too, he's such a pure dancer :) I love it when Kurt gets 'knocked out' too, he times that fall perfectly.

I was at SOI in Toronto. I really thought Moir and Buttle stood out in the group numbers for their dancing and musicality.