PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Shayii
05-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Just drawing on what Shayii, twinktwink, clarie, Carmen, aka_gerbil, martyross, pani, have said, as well as what sap5 and lauravvv have noted:

I do think there are those who will dislike everything V&M do because they simply don't care for V&M. Some of those people don't really understand or at least won't acknowledge what makes V&M so special and will label everything they do as the same/"lovey-dovey" (as aka_gerbil had previously said, V&M could skate to heavy metal and these people would still make the same complaint). I agree, those people should just be ignored.

There are others who are not necessarily haters (in fact some of them like V&M) but who still see FF as a rehashing of their previous work. While I recognize they are entitled to their own opinions, I just don't see this; never have, never will. In my eyes, FF was an exploration of something new for them, an attempt (and a successful one, imo) to experiment with a different kind of expression by choosing a character-driven piece. The type of movement was different from what they have previously shown (playing with tension in the body by transitioning between more erect posture, and sharp movements to gentler, more fluid ones--take, for example, 'the plank' move and the softer movements that follow), and romance was not the sole theme of the program (and even if it had been, that would not necessarily make it the same program as Mahler, as V&M are capable of doing romantic programs in different ways).

But, as sap5 and lauravvv have pointed out, there are others still, who would like to see V&M do something vastly different from anything they, or other teams, have done precisely because they are so great, capable of doing anything and taking ice dance to new places.

I don't mean to oversimplify, as I know that many people don't fit into any of these categories--I was just picking out a few to make a specific point here.

Something I think most V&M fans can agree on is that it is wonderful that they have chosen to continue to compete after having achieved so much. As flowerpower had said previously, they chose the harder road, and we are so lucky they did. No matter what the program, it is always a pleasure to see such pure technique and such a natural connection to the music and to each other.
Great post!! I agree with all of these points actually. I'll admit I would love if V/M do completely different next year, but I've come to a conclusion that I'll just like anything they do.

We fans really like to talk and talk and talk.
At this rate we will be up to 1000 well before the beginning of the season.
Yea and I thought it was gonna go really slow after the end of the season. We should try to set a record with how fast we can go through one thread. I'm gonna post V/M related things like videos and pictures to help us finish this thread when I get home.

Bournekraatzfan
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Great post!! I agree with all of these points actually. I'll admit I would love if V/M do completely different next year, but I've come to a conclusion that I'll just like anything they do.

Yea and I thought it was gonna go really slow after the end of the season. We should try to set a record with how fast we can go through one thread. I'm gonna post V/M related things like videos and pictures to help us finish this thread when I get home.

Thanks, Shayii:) and thanks for providing us with info and pics from Fan Forum. I'm not a member of any other forums, so I appreciate you sharing these things.

and yes, we are going through this thread quickly! I hope we get even more videos and pics from other SOI shows. Are Tessa and Scott doing part of ATS?

Golightly
05-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I just wanted to say that I am proud to be a part of this community and that you guys are amazing. I am sooooo tired and I have been working non-stop for days and when I come here and read your thoughts and extraordinary analyses, it makes me disconnect from real life for a bit and appreciate the beauty of this sport even more. What better team to follow than this one to talk beauty and the nuances of dance?

jl22aries
05-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm with Golightly.

It is easy to trivialize sport, the fandom of sport, and fan forums, but I think for so many of us here things like this thread are important and very special.

For someone like myself, who is home a lot these days injured, who loves the sport and wants to share that with other fans, I am especially grateful for this thread.

This post strings together some random thoughts so bear with me.

Wanted to say, Pani, there is no uber like you! You're outrageous and outspoken, and uncensored, at times infuriating :), and I am so glad you are a part of this thread. I appreciate most about you is your sense of humour, especially about yourself. You certainly put a lot of crazy out there, and you get the flack in return but lady you can take it! I enjoy.

I've been reading their book (shout out to Martyross) and am actually surprised by the detailed account of the challenges they have faced. I learned a lot of new things about them. And though I logically know that for VM and, well, all the skaters, their paths are insanely difficult and pain filled, reading about their personalized accounts was a whole new level of "whoa". These athletes are STRONG, yo. I'm respecting what they do even more than before. Where are they finding that strength to continue? Sometimes I latch on too much to their natural talent and forget how much effort it still takes for people as talented as them to make it look so effortless.

Bournekraatzfan
05-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I agree, Golightly and jl22aries (great posts!). This is a wonderful community:)

also, I don't remember seeing this video here. It is a little part of the "Up" number, and features Tessa briefly (after Kaitlyn):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPnVBlBODqw

girlscouse62
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I love it that there are so many different opinions and points of view. Personally, because I don't and never have been able to skate, I am in awe of all these young people who are willing to go on public display and be judged by everyone. My preference will always be for Tessa and Scott, no matter what they do. I am not overly fond of "Ain't No Mountain" I find it to be a somewhat disjointed programme, and doesn't appear to me to have their usual flow and ease of transition. But they could skate with paper bags on their heads and I would still appreciate their tremendous talent.

I was watching a couple of downloads on youtube where they were being greeted and talking with Camerlengo and Krylova. They looked very friendly, so I emailed PJ Kwong to ask if there was any indication that they might change coaches and choreographers. She said hadn't heard anything, but I would love to see that happen. Any thoughts?

jl22aries
05-05-2012, 12:03 AM
I love it that there are so many different opinions and points of view. Personally, because I don't and never have been able to skate, I am in awe of all these young people who are willing to go on public display and be judged by everyone. My preference will always be for Tessa and Scott, no matter what they do. I am not overly fond of "Ain't No Mountain" I find it to be a somewhat disjointed programme, and doesn't appear to me to have their usual flow and ease of transition. But they could skate with paper bags on their heads and I would still appreciate their tremendous talent.

I was watching a couple of downloads on youtube where they were being greeted and talking with Camerlengo and Krylova. They looked very friendly, so I emailed PJ Kwong to ask if there was any indication that they might change coaches and choreographers. She said hadn't heard anything, but I would love to see that happen. Any thoughts?

I LOVE PJ. I wrote her an email about how well she incorporates every form of social media in her broadcasting role. It's such an exciting, and necessary way of presenting figure skating to the public and she's helping make it so accessible, especially with her feedback with fans. I can't think of any other broadcaster doing it the way she does. And she wrote me back. I love that you and her had that email exchange about VM.

I agree with you on Ain't No Mountain, on every point.

Shayii
05-05-2012, 12:35 AM
I just wanted to say that I am proud to be a part of this community and that you guys are amazing. I am sooooo tired and I have been working non-stop for days and when I come here and read your thoughts and extraordinary analyses, it makes me disconnect from real life for a bit and appreciate the beauty of this sport even more. What better team to follow than this one to talk beauty and the nuances of dance?
Aww...group hug! I love coming here too, I had three exams this week and there were times I thought I was gonna lose my mind, but coming here helped me unwind and relax a bit.

I agree, Golightly and jl22aries (great posts!). This is a wonderful community:)

also, I don't remember seeing this video here. It is a little part of the "Up" number, and features Tessa briefly (after Kaitlyn):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPnVBlBODqw
Thanks for posting this BKF. I don't think I've seen this yet. So is Kaitlyn supposed to be a younger Ellie or something cuz I don't remember Ellie dressed like that in Up. You're probably at SOI now, I hope everybody has fun!

I don't really like Ain't No Mountain High Enough either, but I don't strongly dislike it like I did the first time I saw it.

I don't think Tessa and Scott are changing coaches to be honest. I think they are just friendly with everyone in the skating world and that's why their interaction with Camerlengo/Krylova was so warm.

Shayii
05-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Ok I said I was gonna post some of my favorite V/M related things. I'm gonna start with montages. There are so many and they are all good, but here are a couple that I just love.
Kiss the Rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmLknaIFhs) this one is so beautiful because it has voice layover of them saying nice things about each other.
Crash Into Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FrAool_H8c) this one compiles clips of hugs V/M give each other.
Danza Kuduro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJnZ4qqzoA) I love this cuz I love this music so much and had wished they could have used this song for their latin SD.
Super Duper Cute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd1YbKtJrXM) I love this one cuz it's just "super duper cute" and focuses more on Tessa.
Road to Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQZRGcxciw) this one chronicles their journey to Olympic gold and shows clips starting from when they were young until they got that gold. And it has voice layover of commentators praising them from the very beginning. It's just amazing, if you don't watch any of the others watch this one.

girlscouse62
05-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Thank you Shayii. I just watched Crash into Me and thought it was really well done, and added to my favourites list

clarie
05-05-2012, 02:02 AM
It's so warm and fuzzy in here :). I love "Kiss the Rain" and watched it a few days ago. I'm a "hugger" so "Crash Into Me" was loverly to watch as well. "Danza Kuduro" is a great display of Tessa's many costumes (a costume fashion show :lol:) as well a great dancing. I'll get around to watching the other 2 shortly but thanks Shayii

And girlscouse62, I also a major fan of PJ Kwong and will really miss her on Bold TV. I always watched the skating on that channel as her commentary is alway fair and informative and yet she doesn't overdo it like some commentators are abt to do.

I'm sure BKfan and others at the show tonight are enjoying it and will have many tidbits to share tomorrow :D

Count me in as another who is not enamoured of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"....just never got into that particular song. That's my era and there are so many others that are so much better, and it's a difficult song to try and dance to, so that may be the reason it looks a tad disjointed. I love their Hallelujiah though...beautiful. Lucky ladies seeing it live tonight.

m_chenning
05-05-2012, 02:07 AM
It's so touching! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64nJMs7a63g&feature=player_embedded) :)

clarie
05-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Here's another of my fav's. I remember seeing this live at Skate Canada in '09 when the ice looked like a slushy parking lot by the time they got to skate and there were a couple of little slips by Tessa (but boy oh boy were they flying) and her dress looked very heavy but they sure got the wrinkles ironed out by the Olympics......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mge7uZbLo&feature=related Truly amazing!!!!!

jl22aries
05-05-2012, 02:49 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/6997526684/in/set-72157629602932424/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/6997526456/in/set-72157629602932424/

girlscouse62
05-05-2012, 03:13 AM
I think Farrucas will always be one of my favourite routines. So difficult and complex yet beautifully performed by the time they danced at Turin. And I agree, Clarie, that Hallelujah is wonderful. I'll take romantic and sappy anytime T/S want to perform it. Read one poster today who thinks they don't have chemistry, Wonder which world that person lives in!