PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

martyross
05-04-2012, 03:54 PM
we're categorizing too much. think of all the categories in art. Romanticism, cubism, abstractionism, etc. They are labels that critics invent because they lack the necessary creativity to make something on their own. Now, creativity, inspiration, whatever it is, that's what make artists different from every other ones and unique in their own ways. what i suggest is, let's label less, because with terms like "voidy" or "romantic" we simplify, generalize, misunderstand and snob a lot of different programs that have unique qualities.
we also have to consider, for us it's easy to say "they should do this and that program", it's not us who make choreographies and have stroke of genius and make masterpieces :D
we're like the art critics who pontificate on paintings - it's easier to write than to create.
but yea this is the off-season already, so all this is inevitable. i just hope choreographers or skater don't pay too much attention to internet boards :D

Golightly
05-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh.... I care too much :D

Oh, trust me, that has been established ad nauseam.

Fine. I am sorry, okay? Sometimes it is just too easy :D

Bournekraatzfan
05-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Have fun BKF and everybody going to tomorrow's show! Lol I'm excited for you guys like I was going myself. And I hope you guys have lots to report on.

Have fun and enjoy show!
Good luck to all, who will go. Remember, you will represinting our thread :lol:
I hope all will enjoy show and all skaters will show clean and passionate perfomances!
P.S. Yes, i am crazy uber - i am a little nervouse about audience will like D-W more then V-M :D Did they skate FD in Hamilton?

Thank you both (and thanks Golightly, tapper88, jl22aries and others)!
oh goodness, representing our thread...such a great responsibility;)

also, welcome, jdcmc! I hope you enjoy the show and the forums:)

pani
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Pity for you ;).

:) Dont take this personal, this is just my opinion on this programs.

I haven't seen much voidy from Davis/White (probably 'Eleanor Rigby', but they didn't show it well enough for it to be really voidy). Dramatic and powerful is not necessarily voidy ('Phantom of The Opera' - voidy???!!! :eek: :rofl:). Also, Tessa and Scott's 'Latina' was different, but it wasn't voidy at all.

Thats what i am talking about - nothing what V-M will skate will not be good enough and voidy :P

And I am not saying that gentle and romantic (like 'Mahler', 'Hallelujah', 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg') is not interesting. But to see a dance team of the highest level do something original and different (both from others and from everything that they did before) would be even more interesting for me.

So Mahler couldnd be something new? Who show something new in past 6 years? :)

Bournekraatzfan
05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Just drawing on what Shayii, twinktwink, clarie, Carmen, aka_gerbil, martyross, pani, have said, as well as what sap5 and lauravvv have noted:

I do think there are those who will dislike everything V&M do because they simply don't care for V&M. Some of those people don't really understand or at least won't acknowledge what makes V&M so special and will label everything they do as the same/"lovey-dovey" (as aka_gerbil had previously said, V&M could skate to heavy metal and these people would still make the same complaint). I agree, those people should just be ignored.

There are others who are not necessarily haters (in fact some of them like V&M) but who still see FF as a rehashing of their previous work. While I recognize they are entitled to their own opinions, I just don't see this; never have, never will. In my eyes, FF was an exploration of something new for them, an attempt (and a successful one, imo) to experiment with a different kind of expression by choosing a character-driven piece. The type of movement was different from what they have previously shown (playing with tension in the body by transitioning between more erect posture, and sharp movements to gentler, more fluid ones--take, for example, 'the plank' move and the softer movements that follow), and romance was not the sole theme of the program (and even if it had been, that would not necessarily make it the same program as Mahler, as V&M are capable of doing romantic programs in different ways).

But, as sap5 and lauravvv have pointed out, there are others still, who would like to see V&M do something vastly different from anything they, or other teams, have done precisely because they are so great, capable of doing anything and taking ice dance to new places.

I don't mean to oversimplify, as I know that many people don't fit into any of these categories--I was just picking out a few to make a specific point here.

Something I think most V&M fans can agree on is that it is wonderful that they have chosen to continue to compete after having achieved so much. As flowerpower had said previously, they chose the harder road, and we are so lucky they did. No matter what the program, it is always a pleasure to see such pure technique and such a natural connection to the music and to each other.

clarie
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
^ Yes!!! Have fun at CSOI. Don't forget to report back :)

lauravvv
05-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Thats what i am talking about - nothing what V-M will skate will not be good enough and voidy :P Were did I say that it wasn't "good enough" :rolleyes:? I actually thought that their 'Latina' was very good, and I was glad that they did something different than before. I am not one of those who think that a program has to be voidy to be good.

So Mahler couldnd be something new? Who show something new in past 6 years? :) Again, were did I write the word "new"? Yes, "different than before" does mean "new", but I meant new for them, not something that has never been done before (by anyone). I understand wery well that now it's impossible to do something completely new - and not just in ice dance. But, yes, I would like to see something from Tessa and Scott that would make them stand out from the rest even more than now - because I believe that they are the only ones who could combine unusual and difficult choreography with an interesting theme, outstanding technique and superb performance and interpretation.

lauravvv
05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
There are others who are not necessarily haters (in fact some of them like V&M) but who still see FF as a rehashing of their previous work. While I recognize they are entitled to their own opinions, I just don't see this; never have, never will. In my eyes, FF was an exploration of something new for them, an attempt (and a successful one, imo) to experiment with a different kind of expression by choosing a character-driven piece. The type of movement was different from what they have previously shown (playing with tension in the body by transitioning between more erect posture, and sharp movements to gentler, more fluid ones--take, for example, 'the plank' move and the softer movements that follow), and romance was not the sole theme of the program (and even if it had been, that would not necessarily make it the same program as Mahler, as V&M are capable of doing romantic programs in different ways).I agree that 'Funny Face' was something new and different for Tessa and Scott, and, for me, it was also interesting - because of how well they did it (if a lesser team would have tried to do something similar, it probably wouldn't have been so interesting). But I wouldn't call it original or unusual - which is what I hope to see from them at least once before they retire from competitive skating (and I don't believe that it could be an exhibition, because they have so little time for those now while competing).

sap5
05-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I think sometimes pani confuses the voices in her head with the posters on this thread.

To jump topics, the thing that keeps bothering me about the "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Ex is that I don't consider that song to be disco.

I know on Dancing With The Stars, they'll use any piece of music to do any kind of dance, but that drives me bananas.

There are so many good disco songs out there. "Got To Give It Up" is Marvin Gaye in a disco-style, if Tessa wanted to combine the two. But "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"? A great song, but not one that I associate with a disco ball.

pani
05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I think sometimes pani confuses the voices in her head with the posters on this thread.

You are so kind, like usuall. Nice to met such person like you :)

Emdee
05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
We fans really like to talk and talk and talk.
At this rate we will be up to 1000 well before the beginning of the season.

sap5
05-04-2012, 07:45 PM
You are so kind, like usuall. Nice to met such person like you :)

Aw, thanks!

pani
05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
We fans really like to talk and talk and talk.
At this rate we will be up to 1000 well before the beginning of the season.

Maybe we need a breake after en of the CSOI? :D

Bournekraatzfan
05-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I agree that 'Funny Face' was something new and different for Tessa and Scott, and, for me, it was also interesting - because of how well they did it (if a lesser team would have tried to do something similar, it probably wouldn't have been so interesting). But I wouldn't call it original or unusual - which is what I hope to see from them at least once before they retire from competitive skating (and I don't believe that it could be an exhibition, because they have so little time for those now while competing).

As sap5 and others have noted, the last pre-Olympic year brought us PF, so you may just get your wish next season;)

Bournekraatzfan
05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
short article about V&M in SOI that appeared in metro news:

http://metronews.ca/news/129559/tessa-virtue-scott-moir-to-share-london-spotlight-during-stars-on-ice/