PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

iggie
04-23-2012, 04:06 AM
+1
I really like what you contribute to this thread, maggylyn, and I hope you continue to post:)

I really like the program/music suggestions, but I can see what people are saying about it getting a little overwhelming. do people make separate threads for these things on fsu? and iggie, I enjoyed reading all the different versions of your Evita post, and thought of you when I was watching Amelie Lacoste's LP.

i had to laugh when i read that you read all my versions of the evita post. i think i edited that post for an hour (or two). i am starting to learn how to edit before i press enter.

i absolutely love evita. i could listen to it for hours on end. when you get away from the famous theme song, there are some real dancing gems. the parts i like most are the times when it becomes instrumental -- a cello solo, a sax solo with the orchestra behind, like this one (http://youtu.be/x4SYWmwVIVo?t=1m48s). i don't really hear that kind of music in ice dance. it's so pure, so deep, so visceral, and sets the most amazing mood. i also believe that they should get back to ballroom, where it's just pure dance. they are ice dancers after all and their connection needs to be explored to its depths. but i want the dance set somewhere different, like a dimly lit club in argentina circa the 1950s... not in the gilded palaces of vienna. i want some soul to it, a mix of seduction and melancholy.

it's fun to think about it, but maybe it's just fun to have a reason to listen to that soundtrack for hours.

:shuffle:

but if they could pull this one off, i'd be happy too. it's wade robson's slow dancing in a burning room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk9-qH5fyTU). just v/m being able to use their upper bodies like these dancers do would be cool. or, Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon - Do I Move You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ14msiKD9s). i think v/m should continue to move differently across the ice.

ddtpdx
04-23-2012, 04:07 AM
I have a question regarding the SD for next season. Is it a must for teams to use music that sounds polka (oh I hope not) or can they use any kind of music and just do the polka compulsory moves?

This is taken from ISU communication 1721 about the polka for the SD:

The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Polka Rhythm, in any style of Polka. The tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Elements must be constant and in accordance with the required tempo of the Pattern Dance Yankee Polka, i.e. 60 measures of two beats or 120 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.

Shayii
04-23-2012, 04:16 AM
This is taken from ISU communication 1721 about the polka for the SD:

The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Polka Rhythm, in any style of Polka. The tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Elements must be constant and in accordance with the required tempo of the Pattern Dance Yankee Polka, i.e. 60 measures of two beats or 120 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.
Thank you! But, um, I'm not exactly sure what this means :shuffle:. So I'm gonna guess yes it does have to be polka music :scream:.

ddtpdx
04-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Thank you! But, um, I'm not exactly sure what this means :shuffle:. So I'm gonna guess yes it does have to be polka music :scream:.

Unlike DWTS, I don't think ISU is that open about accepting just a polka rhythm and will likely demand some type of polka music but we will see how daring the various teams are in their interpretation of the rules.

Perhaps someone who knows polka can educate us on all the types of polka.

pani
04-23-2012, 08:05 AM
As for pattern dance.
Ots interesting, because this season team used different rythm for rhumba and V-M even used two rythm in there SD. In Golden Waltz some teams use blues for pattern dance (W-P, C-P). So maybe someone could made the same with polka, but maybe for next season ISU want change this and all teams must skate in ther same rythm in pattern dance? Dont know - i need to read rules again :D

twinktwink
04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Wow new thread and so many posts to read through already :) Thanks for the new thread martyross and the title iggie.

Also thankyou for the epic post of all the music suggestion marytross.

It's kind of funny that the Canadians feel tip toey in certain realms of the skating fanwars blogosphere. I think it is a unfamiliar spot to find ourselves in. I feel so lucky to have been born and raised and educated a Canadian. Especially as an avid traveller, it is apparent to me that we are a rather well liked people and I'm never prouder than when I am abroad.

:lol: This is kind of what its been like to be English for years now. Even today on St George's day most of the English will be too scared to mention it for fear of offending someone. Its nuts.

While I can't claim to speak for every English person I can tell you that within my family Canadians are very much looked upon fondly and with a great deal of respect :) We should all be proud of where we're from. I love that I get to see so many different POV from people from all cultures in this wonderful thread :)

martyross
04-23-2012, 12:10 PM
i vote for an Egyptian polka!

walei
04-23-2012, 12:18 PM
So a question for V/M fans, do you want to see them bring back the goose into their competitive program?

Personally I think it'll be neat if they bring it back and try to do some variations although I have no idea what else they can do with such a difficult position.

martyross
04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
So a question for V/M fans, do you want to see them bring back the goose into their competitive program?

Personally I think it'll be neat if they bring it back and try to do some variations although I have no idea what else they can do with such a difficult position.

i absolutely love it in Pink Floyd for its virtuosism. it is the climax of intensity and union of two bodies. i love the programs full of iconic positions, especially when they dont literally match the notes of the music.

clarie
04-23-2012, 12:55 PM

No, I think it's had enough exposure. I would like to see them come up with something different like thay always do. Save the "goose" for galas.

Now that the season is over, I can say that their skating was truly awsome and their acting abilities sensational, but I really was not enthused about their choice of music, but I'm happy that they got it out of their system and will hopefully choose music that is more audience friendly for the next couple of years.

lavenderblue
04-23-2012, 04:12 PM

No.

I'm disappointed that they still (reasonably, given that it's a signature) feel the need to incorporate it into the exhibition. I'd be thrilled with a Goose-free season but that's never going to happen.

sequins
04-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Save the "goose" for galas.

Agreed and at some point I'd like to see them skip that as well. I love 'the goose' but it need not make it's return in the FD. Now the 'temptation' lift I'm all for that reappearing anywhere, anytime, till the end of time.:)

pani
04-23-2012, 04:35 PM

I wish they will use goode only in exibitions.
And i wish they will use first lift from FF (from Finlandia) in next season programs or in exibitions.
And i wish to see 'temptation' lift.

clarie
04-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Agreed and at some point I'd like to see them skip that as well. I love 'the goose' but it need not make it's return in the FD. Now the 'temptation' lift I'm all for that reappearing anywhere, anytime, till the end of time.:)

Yes, yes, yes!!! That one didn't get enough exposure, for all its awsomeness :)

walei
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Yup I agree that they shouldn't use the goose if they can only do it in that position. But the no hand Tessa balance on Scott lift is really impressive so if they can do a variation (different position for Scott and or Tessa but I have no idea how) then it will be incredible to see.