PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pani
05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Off topic but I went to the Olympic Park in London yesterday to watch a test event in the water polo arena in preparation for the Olympics and now I'm buzzing and can't wait for the games to begin. I have to admit that my eyes got a little teary seeing all the stadiums and imagining what its going to be like. I'd never watched water polo before and it was so much fun. Never thought I'd see athletes trying to drown each other in the name of defending a goal :lol:

I'm going again tomorrow for an evening of Athletics and Entertainment in the Olympic Stadium. So excited!!! :D

Thanks for report :) Have fun tomorrow ;)

twinktwink
05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I've been reading everyone's thoughts on the way V/M get criticised for using their connection and I was thinking that maybe they get that criticism because its the one thing that has people most scared out of all their attributes. I'm only speculating of course.

Its as though it really gets people's back up because its their biggest weapon against the rest of the field if you like. I personally think their skating skills are beyond anyone else anyway but for arguments sake if the rest of the field were level with them in those stakes then its their connection that would send them over the top. Their connection is magical and can't be replicated and that's what has people running scared. When V/M use their connection on top of everything else no one can touch them and I guess for some its almost like an unfair advantage and that's why it gets attacked. Like all of you I don't like it when people criticise them for using it but in a way its a compliment I suppose.

Hope that makes sense?

twinktwink
05-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for report :) Have fun tomorrow ;)

Thank you :)

clarie
05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I've been reading everyone's thoughts on the way V/M get criticised for using their connection and I was thinking that maybe they get that criticism because its the one thing that has people most scared out of all their attributes. I'm only speculating of course.

Its as though it really gets people's back up because its their biggest weapon against the rest of the field if you like. I personally think their skating skills are beyond anyone else anyway but for arguments sake if the rest of the field were level with them in those stakes then its their connection that would send them over the top. Their connection is magical and can't be replicated and that's what has people running scared. When V/M use their connection on top of everything else no one can touch them and I guess for some its almost like an unfair advantage and that's why it gets attacked. Like all of you I don't like it when people criticise them for using it but in a way its a compliment I suppose.

Hope that makes sense?

Oh, right on!!! ITA with you. Other teams try but just can't replicate what V/M have in the way of connection to one another. They can keep on doing the lovey dovey programs as far as I am concerned. Their wonderful skating skills, lifts, deep edges, speed conbined with that connection make them formidable adversaries to any team out there now. They are still so young, I mean Tessa is only 22. Scott isn't exactly ancient either at 24....and they have been showing this very special attribute for many years now, so lots of people think they are older than they are. I will never get tired of them. I rue the day when they decide to retire. I would like to see them go on into their 30's like some other teams, but I don't think that will happen as "life" is waiting for them on the other side of competitive skating. I sure do hope they will stay in the "business" in another capacity though. Think? :)

twinktwink
05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Oh, right on!!! ITA with you. Other teams try but just can't replicate what V/M have in the way of connection to one another. They can keep on doing the lovey dovey programs as far as I am concerned. Their wonderful skating skills, lifts, deep edges, speed conbined with that connection make them formidable adversaries to any team out there now. They are still so young, I mean Tessa is only 22. Scott isn't exactly ancient either at 24....and they have been showing this very special attribute for many years now, so lots of people think they are older than they are. I will never get tired of them. I rue the day when they decide to retire. I would like to see them go on into their 30's like some other teams, but I don't think that will happen as "life" is waiting for them on the other side of competitive skating. I sure do hope they will stay in the "business" in another capacity though. Think? :)

I would LOVE it if they continued on until at least Scott turned 30. Who knows maybe if they retire after Sochi and then skipped the next Olympic cycle they could could return in the following one if they were healthy and got their fitness levels where they'd need them to be. Scott would be 34 and Tessa 32, wow just realised that would be 10 years from now! I can only imagine what their expression would be like by that age after having developed even more maturity and combining more life experience. I have a feeling it would be :swoon:

I get the feeling that at that age though they'd be saving it all for shows and the artistic freedom that comes with them. In a way maybe we'll all be even more satisfied once they're free to create exactly the kind of routines they want to skate without the limitations of competition rules :)

sap5
05-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Hope that makes sense?

I don't think that people are "running scared."

There will always be haters that will call every V/M program "boring" and "romantic." Haters gonna hate. These people are just to be ignored.

However, there are many people who believe that V/M have the ability to do great things in ice dance, and want to see that. That people don't want V/M to play to their strength is a compliment.

Besides, it's not that people don't want to see V/M's "connection." They just want to see something really cool done with it. I thought Pink Floyd was a good example of this -- that program relied on their connection, but in a non-obvious way. I'd love to see something "voidy" like that again. A dance that focuses on movement, or perhaps a message other than falling in love.

There are so many things that can be said and shown through dance. V/M are one of the few teams that can take on that challenge, because they have the dance and skating skills required to keep the viewer focused on the message.

I think this year, V/M are ready for a program like this. They are no longer "kids," and they have learned to express characters (one of the reasons their little "Up" waltz works so well). I hope they take advantage of this and pick a program that is truly memorable.

pani
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I remember, how many people criticized PF (russian Eurosport commentator, Tracy Wilson at WCh were unhappy) and said that next year want to see something romantic again ;) I remember even had dispute about this program and people talking, that Kerrs FD that year was the best and didnt notice new elements from V-M.
It is difficult to please everyone. ;) I think its a big V-M problem - they try to please everyone (judges, coaches, SC). So hope now they will have funn and this all :D
Why not to ask best ice dance team all the time to skate something, like Mahler? Why V-M must skate D-W programs to made people happy if in this case people start talking how bad they are even more?
I think V-M are so better in skating basics, that i cant see why people pay so many attention to there style and want them not skate something beautifull, but ugly? :D

martyross
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
am i the only one who cares nothing for "people's opinion"? hihihihi...

pani
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
am i the only one who cares nothing for "people's opinion"? hihihihi...

Oh.... I care too much :D

sap5
05-04-2012, 03:05 PM
I remember, how many people criticized PF (russian Eurosport commentator, Tracy Wilson at WCh were unhappy) and said that next year want to see something romantic again ;) I remember even had dispute about this program and people talking, that Kerrs FD that year was the best and didnt notice new elements from V-M.
It is difficult to please everyone. ;) I think its a big V-M problem - they try to please everyone (judges, coaches, SC). So hope now they will have funn and this all :D
Why not to ask best ice dance team all the time to skate something, like Mahler? Why V-M must skate D-W programs to made people happy if in this case people start talking how bad they are even more?
I think V-M are so better in skating basics, that i cant see why people pay so many attention to there style and want them not skate something beautifull, but ugly? :D

Why must you mention D/W in every post you make?

Who are the people who want V/M to skate to something ugly?

martyross
05-04-2012, 03:10 PM

my cat!

pani
05-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Why must you mention D/W in every post you make?

People, who trhink one of the best FD of all the times is "Madness" from P-B or something from Blanc-Bouquet. IMHO - this programs look ugly ;)
Why i remeber D-W? Because in every second message i see "V-M need to skate something dramatiс and powerfull and voidy" :lol:
When i try to explane - V-M had PF and Latina, this people didnt want to see this :D

lauravvv
05-04-2012, 03:19 PM
I think V-M are so better in skating basics, that i cant see why people pay so many attention to there style and want them not skate something beautifull, but ugly? :DFor me, original and interesting is not ugly.

And I am not saying that gentle and romantic (like 'Mahler', 'Hallelujah', 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg') is not interesting. But to see a dance team of the highest level do something original and different (both from others and from everything that they did before) would be even more interesting for me.

lauravvv
05-04-2012, 03:27 PM
People, who trhink one of the best FD of all the times is "Madness" from P-B or something from Blanc-Bouquet. IMHO - this programs look ugly ;) Pity for you ;).

Why i remeber D-W? Because in every second message i see "V-M need to skate something dramatiс and powerfull and voidy" :lol:
When i try to explane - V-M had PF and Latina, this people didnt want to see this :D I haven't seen much voidy from Davis/White (probably 'Eleanor Rigby', but they didn't show it well enough for it to be really voidy). Dramatic and powerful is not necessarily voidy ('Phantom of The Opera' - voidy???!!! :eek: :rofl:). Also, Tessa and Scott's 'Latina' was different, but it wasn't voidy at all.

Scrufflet
05-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Have fun and enjoy show!
Good luck to all, who will go. Remember, you will represinting our thread :lol:
I hope all will enjoy show and all skaters will show clean and passionate perfomances!
P.S. Yes, i am crazy uber - i am a little nervouse about audience will like D-W more then V-M :D Did they skate FD in Hamilton?

Don't worry about the audience reaction! I've been going to SOI Toronto for years and the audiences are enthusiastic about everyone. I remember seeing Berez/Sig after Salt Lake City and they were welcomed warmly on Toronto ice. Kurt always gets the loudest ovation just because we all adore him!

It would be funny if those going showed up in tees with our handles. I'm sure we would leave a lot of people confused. Can you see it? Hey iggie! Woah, Scrufflet is it you?