PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

aka_gerbil
05-04-2012, 04:36 AM
funny how v/m have something that is so special (their connection, which can be portrayed in so many different ways) but if they play upon it, they're called names... yet other dance teams can have something special, use it for all its worth, and have that be respected as "their signature style".

The double standard absolutely drives me batty. There are so many special things about V/M's skating, but their connection is one of their greatest assets. Like you said, other teams use their own something special and get praised for it, but there are some out there who hold V/M's connection against them. It seems like the general tendency when this happens is to label everything they do "lovey dovey'--even when it clearly isn't.

Sometimes, I'm not sure what people want V/M to be or what they expect out of them. Personally, I like to see them using their connection in different ways, but others seem to profess to want something totally different and out there from them. I have suspected though that if they were to put a program out there that would be called the voidest program in the history of the world if skated by any other team, it would still be labled "lovey dovey" by some just because it would be V/M skating it.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
05-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Yeah pink Floyd was prob my favorite dance of theirs. I wish that both Tessa and Scott as well as Delobel and Schoenfelder could have been healthy the entire season and competes against each other both using great gig

Agreed. I would have loved to have seen both teams be able to compete with their versions for the entire season. DelShoes' FD though did get a tad more mileage on it than V&M's did. I've always thought that DelShoes would have won another World title with that program.

One of the things that stands out to me when it comes to V&M is how good they are even when they have to skate injured and with reduced training time. It's almost scary to think of what Tessa and Scott would look like on the ice if they had never had so many interruptions to their training and competition schedule. :eek:

ITA gerbil. For some people when it comes to V&M, nothing will ever be good enough. By the end of this past season, I was baffled by all the complaints about the supposed issues with their programs.

I agree with everyone regarding Hallelujah but weren't so many people this season complaining that FF wasn't accessible enough to audiences? I would love to see a FD to Hallelujah or more likely something similar but I feel as if we would find ourselves having the exact same conversations that were had about FF. It's not some rousing, huge, larger than life piece of music and it seems that some feel that it's that music choice rather than what is done with that music choice that should have been the deciding factor.

I guess it depends on what Tessa and Scott are feeling; if they are still hoping to compete for that top spot they may have to keep that in mind when it comes to choosing the music for next seasons programs. I realize that medals are not V&M's only motivation and they also want to try different styles and challenge themselves. I imagine it's difficult to balance those two things in order to come up with programs that will satisfy Tessa's and Scott's desire to do something memorable and creative yet not do something that is considered inaccessible and would effect their marks.

Shayii
05-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Yay new posters! Hi girlscourse62 and jdcmc! Jdcmc, on FF somebody that went to the Ottawa show said they didn't get hassled by security, but it might be different for every city. And girlcourse yes there are great discussions on this thread, I like reading people's take on things.

Iggie I'm glad you mentioned that cuz I've been pondering that for awhile, but I didn't know how to say it. I've noticed too that when it comes to other teams people always push for them to choose something "in their style" or do something that fits them as a team or plays to their strength. When it comes to V/M one of their best, probably their best asset is their connection, but if they even come close playing up that strength they get flamed for it and it becomes oh their doing another love program. I wonder why that is, I think it's unfair and a double standard.

ETA: Ok Gerbil I just read your post and I swear I didn't see your post before I posted mine, but we have almost the same (the first part anyways) thing lol. That's crazy.

Shayii
05-04-2012, 05:44 AM
You know, now i am not sure. I mean FF was something different for them. I even read some people like FF more then Mahler. But its look like hallelujah bring some fans back and this what they do the best and people love this. And if in Mahler i saw first love, romantic feeling with balletic movement, in hallelujah i see different interpretation of relationships between man and a woman.
And why if W-P could have such big success with romantic FD, V-M must not do what they could doing better, then all others? Just thoughts.
After i watched Meryl interview in law symposium (it was really interesting interview with some new things about traning and mental preparation) i could see difference between USFSA and SC. Look like SC respect coaches and choreograhfers and let them create there own pograms and do what they want to do, when USFSA conroll every step (and i think this is VERY good thing for skaters, who protected from having bad programs).
And i have impression V-M have more close and friendly relationships with Marina - they all time talking how good she is, when Meryl talking about this more like about buisness relationships (wich is muct be).
Why i post this? Because now i have impresssion, that after OG V-M stay to compete for doing what they want to do on ice and not only for judges like this. So i will respect any FD from them, because they feel they want to show this. :) Maybe its hard understand, what i want to tell, sorry.
Yea I get you. Skating is very personal to them. It's not about getting fame or anything they just love what they do.

Carmen I feel like FF was geared more to play of the audience. Like it was created to project out to audiences, but it didn't quite succeed to the level they were probably hoping for. Hallelujah, like people have already stated, draws the viewer in instead. It's so intimate and for me I think it was more effective than FF with how I was immediately pulled into the program.

Bournekraatzfan
05-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Bourneskraatzfan are you going to the show tomorrow in Toronto?

Yes, I am! I am so excited! I promise to report back. It looks like iggie, Emdee, flowerpower, skatingfan04, Scrufflet and jdcmc will also be attending this show--imagine if some of us were seated in the same section? I hope you all enjoy the show!

You know, now i am not sure. I mean FF was something different for them. I even read some people like FF more then Mahler. But its look like hallelujah bring some fans back and this what they do the best and people love this. And if in Mahler i saw first love, romantic feeling with balletic movement, in hallelujah i see different interpretation of relationships between man and a woman.
And why if W-P could have such big success with romantic FD, V-M must not do what they could doing better, then all others? Just thoughts.
Why i post this? Because now i have impresssion, that after OG V-M stay to compete for doing what they want to do on ice and not only for judges like this. So i will respect any FD from them, because they feel they want to show this. :) Maybe its hard understand, what i want to tell, sorry.

agree completely, pani. well said.

...I wish that both Tessa and Scott as well as Delobel and Schoenfelder could have been healthy the entire season and competes against each other both using great gig

me too.

I hope you don't mind me joining your discussjions. I am very new to this site. I love the way you all contribute such wonderful points of view. i am not a skater but I do love to watch T/S. It seems that they choose to dance to music that other skaters might not(possibly could not) skate to. hank you all for such amazing pictures and videos.

Welcome, girlscouse62! I hope you have fun on the boards!

Shayii
05-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Have fun BKF and everybody going to tomorrow's show! Lol I'm excited for you guys like I was going myself. And I hope you guys have lots to report on.

pani
05-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Yes, I am! I am so excited! I promise to report back. It looks like iggie, Emdee, flowerpower, skatingfan04, Scrufflet and jdcmc will also be attending this show--imagine if some of us were seated in the same section? I hope you all enjoy the show!

Have fun and enjoy show!
Good luck to all, who will go. Remember, you will represinting our thread :lol:
I hope all will enjoy show and all skaters will show clean and passionate perfomances!
P.S. Yes, i am crazy uber - i am a little nervouse about audience will like D-W more then V-M :D Did they skate FD in Hamilton?

pani
05-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Yea I get you. Skating is very personal to them. It's not about getting fame or anything they just love what they do.

Carmen I feel like FF was geared more to play of the audience. Like it was created to project out to audiences, but it didn't quite succeed to the level they were probably hoping for. Hallelujah, like people have already stated, draws the viewer in instead. It's so intimate and for me I think it was more effective than FF with how I was immediately pulled into the program.

Such kind of programs (not Hallelujah, but something in this direction) let show more flow, easy movement and unique skating skills. thats why i think judges and audience will like it better.
But from another point of view i have impression, FF were one step to something they want to show in future - difficult steps, playing characters ect. Will see what fututre will bring to us :)

pani
05-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Sometimes, I'm not sure what people want V/M to be or what they expect out of them.

I have this question during long time. Now i think people want V-M will skate like other team, in not V-M style. I could understand this, but we have so many different teams, why in this case people simply couldnt enjoy other ice dancers? :D
And i feel like people wish V-M will not be so perfect in skating, thats why they focusing on style all the time :D

jl22aries
05-04-2012, 06:36 AM
VM are the class of the field, so maybe they are held to an (unfair perhaps) standard, and also consequently they are subject to the most intense scrutiny as well. None of it really matters though, because the quality of their skating represents itself.

Welcome new posters!

And to the Toronto crew, have a wonderful CSOI and share all the deets please.

Golightly
05-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Yes, have fun everyone. Share the magic, though! I am living vicariously through you ;)

tapper88
05-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Have fun everyone!! Looking forward to your thoughts of the show! :)
Would love to get a bit of info on Kaitlyn/Andrew too :)

-I'm going to SOI, but not till the Vancouver show..

clarie
05-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I hope you don't mind me joining your discussjions. I am very new to this site. I love the way you all contribute such wonderful points of view. i am not a skater but I do love to watch T/S. It seems that they choose to dance to music that other skaters might not(possibly could not) skate to. hank you all for such amazing pictures and videos.

Welcome to you girlscouse62. We need you :) V/M have a lot of fans but not a lot of "posters". So don't be shy.

clarie
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
I like the way they take a seemingly insignificant move and time it perfectly so that it looks natural and not rushed to the finish. Their connections are seamless, and they have an uncanny ability to be able to tell where the other is so there is no groping in the finished product.

twinktwink
05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Just catching up on all the new posts- I love it when there's so much to read and seeing everyone's different POVs, some great thoughts from everyone.

Welcome to the new posters, can't wait to read more from you.

Have a great time everyone that's going to the show tonight, it would be so funny if some of you were actually sitting next to each other, proof of a very small world :) I can't wait to hear about your experiences. I've been wanting to go to Canada all my life and I'm thinking that I may time my trip for next years SOI if Tessa and Scott skate in it and then I can complete two dreams all at once. :lol: A long way to go to see a show but it would be fantastic to mix those experiences.

Off topic but I went to the Olympic Park in London yesterday to watch a test event in the water polo arena in preparation for the Olympics and now I'm buzzing and can't wait for the games to begin. I have to admit that my eyes got a little teary seeing all the stadiums and imagining what its going to be like. I'd never watched water polo before and it was so much fun. Never thought I'd see athletes trying to drown each other in the name of defending a goal :lol:

I'm going again tomorrow for an evening of Athletics and Entertainment in the Olympic Stadium. So excited!!! :D