PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

martyross
04-26-2012, 12:16 AM
I was watching an interview with Pluschenko, I think it was after this year's Russian Nationals. It was incredibly illuminating, and dare I say, inspirational. He was asked a question alluding to how he could possibly keep going in the face of so many naysayers. His response was that he needed to keep achieving something new, he just loved to compete, loved the crowd reaction, that adrenaline, and that he was born for it. I think some athletes need competition. I'm hoping it's that something...innate...that is keeping VM going.

yes, it's very illuminating and fascinating to hear. speaking of Russian skaters, i recall this quote by Tarasova, from Youtube: "Kulik was all the time afraid to lose,he should have skated more,while Yagudin has such a strong competitive spirit,for him the competition started whenever he got his boots,no matter if they were going to the practice rink or to a major event like the Worlds."
this kind of competitive drive is very impressive :eek: but at the same time, Tessa and Scott seem so sweet and nice people, with their self-doubts and insecurities that everyone can empathy with. :swoon:
hey, didn't know that Ashley is in the Canadian shows! she's my super beloved favorite skater :swoon::P
what could fit better the "Love 'n' life theme" than this timeless truth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Bournekraatzfan
04-26-2012, 12:18 AM
You can see his coaching helped :D I can see him doing that in the future, and Tessa doing choreo, right? :)

After seeing how sweet and supportive Tessa was with Cynthia after her FS at WTT, I am convinced she will be a great coach/choreographer. We know she is a perfectionist, but she is also compassionate. She and Scott would make a great coaching team:)

Shayii
04-26-2012, 12:39 AM
There's an interview with Kurt Browning posted in the SOI thread, in which he says he's trying to get Tessa & Scott or Kaitlyn & Andrew to do an overhead/pairs lift for the show - if they can do it safely. Don't know if either of the guys is able to, but that would be interesting to see.:)

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120419/bc_ctv_morning_live_kurt_browning_stars_on_ice_120 419/20120419/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
Would that be physically possibly though? In pairs isn't there a great deal of height difference between the partners?

thanks for posting that, pani. good coach:)

there is another short vid of the cast practicing an ensemble number to Florence and the Machine's "Dog Days are Over."

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=683597598433

and thanks for the link to the interview, IoanaC.
Oh I saw those clips on facebook. I think Scott would make a very good instructor and skaters are very brave cuz I would be so scared about doing the lifts that they do. Tessa and Scott weren't in the practice for the Dog Days are Over, but they come in the video at the very end.

Bourneskraatz I agree Tessa seems like a compassionate person and the way she was with Cynthia was really nice...she kept saying "I'm proud of you." That was really sweet.

Proustable
04-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Do you think P&B's PCS marks will continue to approach those of V&M and D&W? I think (and hope) that they will, as their basics are very strong, their choreo is intricate and difficult making use of a good variety of holds, and they manage the distance between them really well, and have really nice matching leg lines or "oneness". I also think they did a great job of interpreting their programs this season, even though I dislike the actual concept and style of movement of their FD. And W&P are rapidly improving, as are C&L, so I wonder what we will see in terms of placements and who is challenging for those placements.

The basic fact of the matter is that math favours the teams outside the Canton quartet. I think a dance would have to have Bolero like enthusiasm for judges to unleash the straight tens/+3s and that's literally where V/M and D/W are at - their scores won't improve simple because they're so close to perfection, and the judges get more capricious.

But I don't think we'll see P/B coming as close as they did this year. The scoring at Worlds had an "auld lang syne" feel to it - "Thank you for representing Europe even though you had bronchitis and broke your nose, here are some massive scores for you." I'd also quibble with your praise regarding the complexity - their mummy dance in particular (as enjoyable as it was) didn't seem to be that complex (lots of dancing with hands, as opposed to feet).

That stated, the last half of this season certainly suggests that a massive shake-up is in the offing.

sequins
04-26-2012, 01:50 AM
But I don't think we'll see P/B coming as close as they did this year. The scoring at Worlds had an "auld lang syne" feel to it - "Thank you for representing Europe even though you had bronchitis and broke your nose, here are some massive scores for you." I'd also quibble with your praise regarding the complexity - their mummy dance in particular (as enjoyable as it was) didn't seem to be that complex (lots of dancing with hands, as opposed to feet).

That stated, the last half of this season certainly suggests that a massive shake-up is in the offing.

Much as I love P/B I fear you're right. It was their 'finally' moment and now I think the judges are ready to move along, and bring up the Russian teams/W/P and C/L. There's no longer that sentimental feeling towards them and by Sochi I fear P/B may be a long way down but I hope I'm wrong.

Call me crazy but I think V/M will ultimately be fine. I still believe they have that extra something special that you either have or you don't and everyone knows it(even if they say they don't;)). I believe D/W are more vulnerable but I don't necessarily think they should be, not yet. I still feel that while the rest of the world is catching up V/M and D/W are still superior by quite a bit. JMO though but I understand the need to want to close the gap and make it more interesting. Makes you wonder how we ever survived ice dance under the 6.0 system:)

HSGP21
04-26-2012, 02:43 AM
New picture of Tessa (and the CSOI girls): https://twitter.com/#!/starsonice/status/195294030156935169/photo/1/large

ddtpdx
04-26-2012, 03:15 AM
I know we saw them get the PCS edge at Worlds, but that hasn't been the case all season (and I think that is because the judges wanted to see more busier, more difficult choreo than what they had in the earlier version of their FD).

Oh noooo...don't perpetuate that myth in here :lol:

But seriously, I think the judges wanted choreography with continuous movement. I don't agree calling that more difficult choreography. It's a matter of perception, analogous to busier choreo being more difficult choreo. I would argue that having some stationary choreo can actually be more difficult as the skaters have to generate speed from scratch quickly to demonstrate great flow rather than working with existing momentum. If you notice, that is one of V/M's strengths - the ability to generate great speed with very few strides (even when they are not simple cross-overs). In this respect, I clearly disagree with the judges and what I consider superficial and narrowed interpretation on their part of good skating skills, linking footwork and intricate/difficult choreography.

Bournekraatzfan
04-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Oh noooo...don't perpetuate that myth in here :lol:

But seriously, I think the judges wanted choreography with continuous movement. I don't agree calling that more difficult choreography. It's a matter of perception, analogous to busier choreo being more difficult choreo. I would argue that having some stationary choreo can actually be more difficult as the skaters have to generate speed from scratch quickly to demonstrate great flow rather than working with existing momentum. If you notice, that is one of V/M's strengths - the ability to generate great speed with very few strides (even when they are not simple cross-overs). In this respect, I clearly disagree with the judges and what I consider superficial and narrowed interpretation on their part of good skating skills, linking footwork and intricate/difficult choreography.

Lol, trust me, I do not want to perpetuate the myth that busier is better, and I remember thinking after the GPF that I would hate for V&M to have to make the program look busy in order to get the marks for linking footwork/movement. But the criteria for that part of the PCS calls for variety, difficulty (of the actual transitional moves), and intricacy (number of transitional moves), though quality is also important. I agree that it is difficult to stop your momentum and then pick it up again, and that is one of the things I really liked about the end of their not touching circular step sequence in the SD when they slow down and do the chest pumps and instantly gain speed for their double twizzles. That speed comes out of nowhere. Very cool and really captured the music. What I was referring to in the FD was the ‘crazy Audrey’ part, for one. After Tessa does a single back outside twizzle on her right foot they used to do these moves where they got on their toe picks and each did a little kick forward with each foot before turning their heels out. They then changed that to Tessa getting down on her right knee and then changing direction to do another single back outside twizzle on her right foot before both going onto forward outside edges on their left feet and switching to inside edges on that curve. I prefer the original version because I thought it had more personality but the transitional moves in the newer version were actually more difficult, imo. And then in the jazzy section they added more transitional moves like Tessa doing what looked like a counter and then working her way around Scott and doing those little turns. I actually preferred this more intricate version because of how it picked up on the music. But my favourite section of choreography is still the S’Wonderful part when they extend their free legs and then turn around each other. It is clean, uncluttered, elegant and lovely:)

Bournekraatzfan
04-26-2012, 06:54 AM
del

Bournekraatzfan
04-26-2012, 06:58 AM
New picture of Tessa (and the CSOI girls): https://twitter.com/#!/starsonice/status/195294030156935169/photo/1/large

Thanks, HSGP21. I've always liked the SOI group numbers, and I am curious to see what Jeff and Kurt have put together.

Bournekraatzfan
04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
The basic fact of the matter is that math favours the teams outside the Canton quartet. I think a dance would have to have Bolero like enthusiasm for judges to unleash the straight tens/+3s and that's literally where V/M and D/W are at - their scores won't improve simple because they're so close to perfection, and the judges get more capricious.

I don't know, I thought they had difficult transitions and showed a good number and variety of them in their programs. It looked to me like they worked this season on skating more on one foot and decreasing the amount of hand-to-hand skating. I was thinking of things like the variations in hold after the second rhumba pattern and the moment when Nathalie is turning within his arms. They even interpreted a samba roll by turning into an inside spread eagle in the last section just after the twizzles. And in the FD, I thought they had many changes of direction and changes of edge (and I liked the way they used single twizzles throughout, adding interest through use of their arms). Sections like the one following the sequential twizzles included nice variations in hold to accompany the turns. When I first saw this program, I was distracted by the posing, but when I concentrated on what they were doing with their feet along with their arms (in terms of holds), I was quite impressed. I would prefer to see them a bit closer to the top two than they were earlier in the season (and most of all I hope they stay healthy).

V&M and D&W are maxing out the GOEs and PCS scores, but what will happen to the scores will depend on how much of the scoring is relative and how much of it is absolute...if it is entirely absolute (or at least more absolute than it is relative) and V&M and D&W have already fulfilled the requirements to reach the highest standard, then, no matter how much the top two teams improve, the other teams can only catch up. But if the top two teams improve and the scoring is relative (or at least more relative than it is absolute), they will set the standard and the other teams will be measured according to that standard (more on the PCS, I think). I think the scoring is a mixture of absolute and relative. In any case, I think the judges see the gap between the top two and the rest as one that is decreasing. But who knows what will happen next season? I am sure it will be exciting, though!

As for V&M, perhaps the thing I love most about them is how "they make the difficult look easy," as Tracy Wilson has said. Their elements are gorgeous and their transitions are so smooth and effortless and they were able to use them to play with the music and develop their characters. Their programs are always polished and nuanced...they attend to every detail. I really can't wait to see what they do next season:)

pani
04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Did someone saw CSOI music program? I am really intetersting, what V-M ad W-P will skate.

clarie
04-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Lol, trust me, I do not want to perpetuate the myth that busier is better, and I remember thinking after the GPF that I would hate for V&M to have to make the program look busy in order to get the marks for linking footwork/movement. But the criteria for that part of the PCS calls for variety, difficulty (of the actual transitional moves), and intricacy (number of transitional moves), though quality is also important. I agree that it is difficult to stop your momentum and then pick it up again, and that is one of the things I really liked about the end of their not touching circular step sequence in the SD when they slow down and do the chest pumps and instantly gain speed for their double twizzles. That speed comes out of nowhere. Very cool and really captured the music. What I was referring to in the FD was the ‘crazy Audrey’ part, for one. After Tessa does a single back outside twizzle on her right foot they used to do these moves where they got on their toe picks and each did a little kick forward with each foot before turning their heels out. They then changed that to Tessa getting down on her right knee and then changing direction to do another single back outside twizzle on her right foot before both going onto forward outside edges on their left feet and switching to inside edges on that curve. I prefer the original version because I thought it had more personality but the transitional moves in the newer version were actually more difficult, imo. And then in the jazzy section they added more transitional moves like Tessa doing what looked like a counter and then working her way around Scott and doing those little turns. I actually preferred this more intricate version because of how it picked up on the music. But my favourite section of choreography is still the S’Wonderful part when they extend their free legs and then turn around each other. It is clean, uncluttered, elegant and lovely:)

You have a talent for description. ITA with the whole post.

pani
04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
This year’s National Coaches’ Conference May 23-26 in Vancouver, BC is offering a variety of topics presented by some of Canada’s world/Olympic renowned coaches. Come learn a wealth of tips and tricks from Manon Perron, Joanne McLeod, Cathy Dalton, Christy Krall, Marina Zoueva, Lee Barkell, Doug Ladret and Shae Zukiwsky.
http://www.facebook.com/skatecanada

So, Marina will be there and SC support her. I had hope SC will re-place her. or will pay more attention to Igor.

sap5
04-26-2012, 07:55 PM
This year’s National Coaches’ Conference May 23-26 in Vancouver, BC is offering a variety of topics presented by some of Canada’s world/Olympic renowned coaches. Come learn a wealth of tips and tricks from Manon Perron, Joanne McLeod, Cathy Dalton, Christy Krall, Marina Zoueva, Lee Barkell, Doug Ladret and Shae Zukiwsky.
http://www.facebook.com/skatecanada

So, Marina will be there and SC support her. I had hope SC will re-place her. or will pay more attention to Igor.

Yeah, because Marina is doing such a bad job for SC right now. :rolleyes: