PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

martyross
04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I just looked on Scott's facebook page and he has responded to a Japanese fan who thanked him to coming to Japan: "Thank you for having me. Japan is a favorite place of mine. Take care."
:D
poor Scott...i feel for him a little. btw, i remember them saying that Tokyo is their favorite place along with Paris.

bmcg
04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I just looked on Scott's facebook page and he has responded to a Japanese fan who thanked him to coming to Japan: "Thank you for having me. Japan is a favorite place of mine. Take care." Doing a little damage control? ;)

Probably but in fairness they have said before they enjoy skating in Japan. Most skaters do because the crowds love figure skating and are very supportive. I would be more surprised by a skater who wouldn't enjoy skating in Japan. Now WTT is another story but it's hard for some people to separate the two.

martyross
04-25-2012, 04:37 PM
I doubt Marina would ever do that as it would really highlight some of D&Ws flaws. They are best skating to a program that is fast, busy and frantic as it really helps to hide some of their weaknesses.

that FD is really too busy. the point is, there's no need to run that way, even if the music is fast and big. :confused: In her program to the same piece, Suzuki takes the time to glare charmingly and show gracious lines to her audience, which fits the music much more, doesn't make you anxious as though the world was about to end :P

martyross
04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
It was posted in the From Russia with Love thread that Riazanova-Tkachenko are heading to the S/Z camp for a short summer session, followed by more visits in the future? It's certainly a... cozy... training base. Seriously, how do they juggle it all?! I'm looking for any S/Z autobio or tell all book in the future, guaranteed a page turner.
And Bobrova/Soloviev have switched to Zhulin. I'm envious :( P.s. I would gladly dance a polka with him, even if he's old :P

bmcg
04-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Next season in ice dance will be a nailbiter and I anticipate some shuffling in ranks amongst the teams. Hope V&M pick their music well.

Bournekraatzfan
04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a gut feeling that Tessa has been doing some choreo for them, based solely on the fact that she choreographed Fedor's programs several years ago when he tried to make a come back in singles, ... I'm not sure that she choreo'd both his programs, but I know she did at least one of them.

I remember reading that, too. I was particularly impressed because Tessa was only 18 at the time I believe:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080111&content_id=40400&vkey=ice_news

I wonder how much input she has in their programs.

You know, the movie may seem shallow but if we do a short analysis of the narrative we can find what it is about. Its main focus is not certainly the love story between the girl Joe and the photographer, but rather the opposition between two different worlds, that are, at the same time, both depicted with great irony. The first is the frivolous world of fashion magazines in which Avery operates to make a living (the model he first takes pictures of is quite empty and shallow; all this could mean that the guy is trapped in the world of appearances and chauvinism); the second one is the intellectual, inner world of Joe and the bohemians (who are rebel against social rules and claim the right to be what they are and not what they have to be). So the age is definitely a factor, as Fred Astaire represents the old gender rules and Audrey the fresh youth that would have expressly rebelled against society 10 years later. So its meaning is quite important for its times, but it’s even more complex if we see it from a psychological point of view. Whether she likes it or not, these two worlds are also two sides of Joe’s personality, and she struggles from the conflict that they create. The interesting fact is that she is not willing to give up her personal convinctions, her true being, in order to be loved by Avery. While she’s definitely attracted by the possibility of modelling and show off her femininity, once landed in Paris she runs away and starts to communicate with the bohemians through the “crazy dance” and also search for the French philosopher. In the end she and Avery will get together, but only after she has realized that the philosopher was only interested in her...feminine side :D
So this is not the usual stupid and chauvinist Cinderella story and, infact, Audrey Hepburn was to become one of the icons of the modern, indipendent woman.
Tessa and Scott’s program is all about Joe’s personality, that could actually mean, Tessa’s personality. (: I think that she loves the movie so much because she identifies in Joe, as she’s both fond for books and education but also very interested in fashion. In other words, she is stunning and feminine but also very smart, just like Audrey in the movie...and in real life (:
Maybe the fact that the real meaning of the movie is not very clear, is due to the fact that, as a film maker, Stanley Donen was always more ironic than committed. His masterpiece, "Singing in the rain", is exactly the same: it's much more serious than it appears. But compared to Funny Face, it has definitely a bigger quality. (:

great post! interesting analysis of the thematic content of the film. Now I want to watch the film again.

Next season in ice dance will be a nailbiter and I anticipate some shuffling in ranks amongst the teams. Hope V&M pick their music well.

Do you think P&B's PCS marks will continue to approach those of V&M and D&W? I think (and hope) that they will, as their basics are very strong, their choreo is intricate and difficult making use of a good variety of holds, and they manage the distance between them really well, and have really nice matching leg lines or "oneness". I also think they did a great job of interpreting their programs this season, even though I dislike the actual concept and style of movement of their FD. And W&P are rapidly improving, as are C&L, so I wonder what we will see in terms of placements and who is challenging for those placements.

I, too, hope V&M and Zueva and Shpilband select music, choreography, and program layouts that they won't have to play around with too much throughout the season. It must have been very stressful to have to rework both programs halfway through the season, and I hope we don't see that again. I still think they have the best basic skating skills of any of the teams, which will allow them to experiment with many different kinds of movement if they are given the opportunity to do so. I hope all the top teams choose programs that really highlight their strengths.

Bournekraatzfan
04-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Will they skate FF in CSOI?
Now i think they skated FF because this was what they want to skate and because they felt free to use music, wich they love. This was a right time for this. ...

That's a good question. In that article posted a couple of pages back, it said that the programs the skaters use have to fit the theme of the whole show, right? So if FF fits the love n life theme then maybe they will. But I'm not sure they will use it cuz it would have to be shortened for shows and I don't think that would work with FF. Or maybe it could, we'll see soon enough. The first show is this Friday so I hope we get some reports.

I really hope they do perform Funny Face at CSOI, because, as pani said, they love the music and exhibit a kind of freedom with it. And Jo/Tessa seems to fall in love with dance, with life, and finally with Dick Avery/Scott, so I'd say it fits the theme;) But I see your point, Shayii, it is a very difficult program to shorten as that could compromise the storyline and the cohesiveness of the narrative. They will need two numbers, though, and I believe they did IWHYH last year, so I wonder what they will do. Since "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is so new, I can't imagine them doing another entirely new program. I will keep checking the CSOI thread to see if there are any reports of the East Coast shows.

Shayii
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Why he couldnt love Japan, but hate event? :lol:
This message from him made my chance to see them at CoR less :D
Aww I want them to go to Russia though. I feel like D/W are preferred in Japan and T/S are preferred in Russia, but yes I think they will choose NHK as their second grand prix assignment :(.

Do you think there is any chance of T/S slipping in ranking next year? I feel nervous for next season for some reason and we don't even know what they are skating to yet lol. They probably know what direction they want to go and might even have music already.

pani
04-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Firts photo from CSOI :)
https://twitter.com/#!/WeaverPoje/status/195214919438835712/photo/1

Shayii, i am sure T-S know what important will be next season for them.
As for ranking - V-M still the best, if we are talking about feets, unison, posture, body movement. But now they need to work more on contact with audience, because so many people want let them down and try to show they are not so good.
But i think if they will be really happy on ice - al will be OK. They simply need to let this pressure down :)

martyross
04-25-2012, 09:58 PM
But i think if they will be really happy on ice - al will be OK. They simply need to let this pressure down :)

sometimes i wonder if at this point they dont feel kind of tired to train so hard and maybe obliged to be in London and of course to win there, right at home. i say this because they must have felt a really big pressure this year and given they already won the Oly gold, i wonder if deep down they can find the motivation to go on at times.
considering how many athletes retire after winning the Olys, what they did at these Worlds was so impressive and remarkable to me. being at the top of the game after the biggest accomplishment is rare in this sport. i felt an huge admiration for them especially while watching them skating the FD. i was really moved and inspired by their strenght. and also, so grateful.

pani
04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
I think we all feel they were happy at the begining of the season - in Finlandia and SC. THe end of FD at SC was the best moment in this season for them. Then they start feel pressure again. I think they were unhappy, because this was Tessas idea adn maybe she put some her idias in this choreo and people wasnt happy with this FD. I felt this at WCh practiece, when at the end of the FD they wasnt very hapy, but when people supprt FF they both start shining again - this was amazing.
All we want they will take really great music and will use good choreo - maybe i wish this, because in this case i could stop nervouse and just enjoy there skating :)

jl22aries
04-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Do you think there is any chance of T/S slipping in ranking next year? I feel nervous for next season for some reason and we don't even know what they are skating to yet lol. They probably know what direction they want to go and might even have music already.

I think a lot will hinge on the programs and the music they choose. It might seem absurd to give so much weight to the choice of music but as we've discussed in these threads, music plays big into perception, reaction, even helping build/halt momentum, and ultimately affect results.

Still, I think VM are the best skaters in the world. There is no denying that in terms of basic quality, they rule. So if they choose music that leaves audience's and judges feeling akin to their reaction to FF, I think VM will have a similar season as this one in which they will be fighting a lot harder to reassert their top placement. But, ultimately I get the feeling that most skating pros know that Tessa and Scott have unparalleled skills and expression at the moment and it would take a bad skate and an unpopular program to put them in second. Could still happen...they're human, and all the teams are talented and work hard and things are ever shifting.

They can't control it all, so I hope VM claim as much of their fates as they can by just choosing their material wisely, staying in their bubble, enjoying the hell out of their skating, and letting the lucky bunch of us watch!

skatingfan12
04-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I have a gut feeling that Tessa has been doing some choreo for them, based solely on the fact that she choreographed Fedor's programs several years ago when he tried to make a come back in singles, and they were dating at the time (now recyled to Meryl). I'm not sure that she choreo'd both his programs, but I know she did at least one of them.".

I usually don't visit uber-threads because of comments being made about their rivalries, like many of you pointed out that's going in Meryl and Charlie's thread.

I really don't want to start a war, but isn't this comment about Fedor being "recycled to Meryl" the same type of comment that you all are pointing out in D&W thread?

IoanaC
04-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Pani and Marty, I agree with what you both said. I think the pressure will be huge next season, but I hope they use it as motivation, instead of letting themselves be overwhelmed by it. They must be exhausted now, but I trust they'll know how to pace their training throughout the summer. And, as people have already said, the FD choice will be a key thing.

I felt this at WCh practiece, when at the end of the FD they wasnt very hapy.

You really felt that? All the practices that I saw were excellent, I thought, and they were in a great mood. I guess it depends on each person's perception of things...

Bournekraatzfan
04-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Firts photo from CSOI :)
https://twitter.com/#!/WeaverPoje/status/195214919438835712/photo/1

Shayii, i am sure T-S know what important will be next season for them.
As for ranking - V-M still the best, if we are talking about feets, unison, posture, body movement. But now they need to work more on contact with audience, because so many people want let them down and try to show they are not so good.

Thanks for posting that pic, pani! They all look great!

I agree, V&M are still the best in those areas, but I feel like they will need a program in which there is continuous movement and perhaps one that the judges respond to emotionally in order to get credit for those things a lot of the time. I know we saw them get the PCS edge at Worlds, but that hasn't been the case all season (and I think that is because the judges wanted to see more busier, more difficult choreo than what they had in the earlier version of their FD).

and I agree, I think they can continue to improve their projection (though I am so impressed with the improvement we saw this year in that area).

and I also hope most of all that they will be happy and enjoy skating:)