PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #17 - Love 'n' life

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Bournekraatzfan
04-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Interesting points, iggie! and I really appreciated that blog entry in which you took the time to match up the scenes in the film with the corresponding sections of the FD. I was familiar with the film before this FD (like jl22aries, I belong to the small group of 20-somethings who likes this genre of film), but it was so nice to revisit just those scenes, so thanks so much! I really like how they incorporated some of the actual moves (the plank, the hand claps) from the film into the FD and then chose sections of the film where they captured the overall feel of those scenes instead (here they didn't have those signature moves from the film to grab onto, and I love how they interpreted these parts with their faces and bodies).

I see what you mean, though I must admit that I initially thought this music would be audience-friendly (rest assured I won't be sending any of my music suggestions to Skate Canada). I forget who it was, but someone in this thread described this FD as "a grower." I remember seeing the British Eurosport coverage of Skate Canada and thinking, 'uh-oh, what if people don't respond to this FD?' But what was encouraging was that Nicky Slater (I believe) changed his mind about Funny Face after seeing it at the GPF, noting that maybe it was one of those situations in which the more you hear the music, the more you appreciate the program. And in the Worlds wrap-up, Simon Reed (I think), who I believe was the other commentator at the GPF and admitted to being underwhelmed by Funny Face there called their performance of this FD at Worlds "out of this world." I'm not sure if I got those commentators right, so please (anyone) correct me if I'm wrong there--only now becoming familiar with British Eurosport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wIfxfHHK-cw#t=77s

(see 1:30 on)

I am one of those people who loved this FD from the first time I saw it, and my love for it only grew throughout the season. I can't stop watching their performance at Worlds--just beautiful! Some of my favourite parts were the footwork sequences. Like pani said, that diagonal step sequence is something special, like a quad-triple. The flow and edge quality was superb, but what I liked most about it was how it matched the phrasing of the music. I love how the knee bends and leg extensions worked with the lilt in the music...and then the twizzles at the end of that sequence picked up on this whirly bit in the music (sorry, don't know how to describe this better). That really made that sequence a highlight for me. And in the circular, I love how they break apart to do double twizzles and come back together and then at the end of the next set of double twizzles, Tessa extends her arm and free leg out to hit the little 'ding' in the music (the end of the line "you've made my life so glamourous"). Other memorable parts were the little moments they created, like when they lightly took each other's faces in their hands for the last "S'Wonderful," before going into the sweeping ending highlighted by that spectacular combination lift. Just gorgeous.

I watched the stream of the Worlds FDs with my mother, who is a huge fan of the movie, and of Audrey Hepburn in general, and she just adored this FD. She was really impressed with the entire final flight, especially D&W, but this is the performance that she was just in love with.

But I guess as you said it didn't grab people as much as some of their previous work has. I didn't realize the kudos section of your blog for this program was so wanting. I know in your post you were referring to how music selection and program concept affect fan reactions, and I just wanted to add something about its effect on the PCS especially the Performance and Interpretation marks. Even though the Performance mark is also based on carriage, unison and "oneness", spatial awareness between partners, etc. things that imo V&M do better than any other team, projection could be the real deciding factor in that mark along with the Interpretation mark, so music selection is key.

But I am so glad they chose to do this FD, because it really made them happy. And that makes me happy:)

I really can't wait to learn more about their music selection for next season. When do we usually get that info?

Shayii
04-25-2012, 05:09 AM
This nice website has some rare pictures of T&S
http://pinterest.com/beastcheng/figure-skating/
Thanks for posting this! There are so many amazing pictures in there.

Iggie that was a great post and I agree with everything you had to say. And I think even though FF was character driven, a lot of people didn't get or see the story they were trying to create on the ice, hence all the comments about it being just another "lovey-dovey" program. It's gonna be very interesting to what direction they will choose to go in for next season.

Bourneskraatzfan, didn't we hear that they were doing FF around August last year?

Bournekraatzfan
04-25-2012, 06:15 AM
Bourneskraatzfan, didn't we hear that they were doing FF around August last year?

I couldn't remember. Thanks, Shayii:)

and yes, thank you for the link to those beautiful pics, martyross!

pani
04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Will they skate FF in CSOI?
Now i think they skated FF because this was what they want to skate and because they felt free to use music, wich they love. This was a right time for this. I only cant agree with - they are not show movie and are bad actors. Especially when this post person, who said Scott is very bad in FF and didnt feel it, when Charlie is good actor :D
So next season (IMHO) they will try show, what people want to see from them again.
And its amazing, how Tessa made all that choreo. Did she really made choreo for new exibition? I didnt want to say this is something masterpiece, butshe is only 22 ;)

Shayii
04-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Will they skate FF in CSOI?
Now i think they skated FF because this was what they want to skate and because they felt free to use music, wich they love. This was a right time for this. I only cant agree with - they are not show movie and are bad actors. Especially when this post person, who said Scott is very bad in FF and didnt feel it, when Charlie is good actor :D
So next season (IMHO) they will try show, what people want to see from them again.
And its amazing, how Tessa made all that choreo. Did she really made choreo for new exibition? I didnt want to say this is something masterpiece, butshe is only 22 ;)
That's a good question. In that article posted a couple of pages back, it said that the programs the skaters use have to fit the theme of the whole show, right? So if FF fits the love n life theme then maybe they will. But I'm not sure they will use it cuz it would have to be shortened for shows and I don't think that would work with FF. Or maybe it could, we'll see soon enough. The first show is this Friday so I hope we get some reports.

Yes I think Tessa does the choreo for the ex. I remember from an interview Marina saying she sees Tessa the most out of all her students doing choreography in the future (or that might have been coaching in general, can't remember).

jl22aries
04-25-2012, 09:46 AM
It was posted in the From Russia with Love thread that Riazanova-Tkachenko are heading to the S/Z camp for a short summer session, followed by more visits in the future? It's certainly a... cozy... training base. Seriously, how do they juggle it all?! I'm looking for any S/Z autobio or tell all book in the future, guaranteed a page turner.

clarie
04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I have a gut feeling that Tessa has been doing some choreo for them, based solely on the fact that she choreographed Fedor's programs several years ago when he tried to make a come back in singles, and they were dating at the time (now recyled to Meryl). I'm not sure that she choreo'd both his programs, but I know she did at least one of them.

Anyone who says they are not good actors (Scott in particular) has got blinders on, or else they are just spewing sour grapes. IMO he is the BEST of the whole bunch and is getting better all the time. He really does have a very expressive face and uses it. They are both masters of capturing an "attitude".

martyross
04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
iggie..really good post! Well said !

scrufflet.. I don't mind telling on myself , so .. I'm over 50 ( I won't say by how much..:rolleyes: )... but I never "got" Funny Face...As a young'un,I went to see a lot of musicals, but not FF . I just couldn't reconcile that F was a good 30 yrs. older than A ( sort of an icky idea to me then )... Also , neither one of the stars was a great singer ( especially A..F had at least done a lot of singing and had decent phrasing)...By that time , F was at the waning of his powers as a dancer, and though A may have had ballet lessons growing up, she was not a real dancer. So it wasn't a dancer's musical... Even seeing it years later on TV, it was not a musical I could fall in love with.

You know, the movie may seem shallow but if we do a short analysis of the narrative we can find what it is about. Its main focus is not certainly the love story between the girl Joe and the photographer, but rather the opposition between two different worlds, that are, at the same time, both depicted with great irony. The first is the frivolous world of fashion magazines in which Avery operates to make a living (the model he first takes pictures of is quite empty and shallow; all this could mean that the guy is trapped in the world of appearances and chauvinism); the second one is the intellectual, inner world of Joe and the bohemians (who are rebel against social rules and claim the right to be what they are and not what they have to be). So the age is definitely a factor, as Fred Astaire represents the old gender rules and Audrey the fresh youth that would have expressly rebelled against society 10 years later. So its meaning is quite important for its times, but it’s even more complex if we see it from a psychological point of view. Whether she likes it or not, these two worlds are also two sides of Joe’s personality, and she struggles from the conflict that they create. The interesting fact is that she is not willing to give up her personal convinctions, her true being, in order to be loved by Avery. While she’s definitely attracted by the possibility of modelling and show off her femininity, once landed in Paris she runs away and starts to communicate with the bohemians through the “crazy dance” and also search for the French philosopher. In the end she and Avery will get together, but only after she has realized that the philosopher was only interested in her...feminine side :D
So this is not the usual stupid and chauvinist Cinderella story and, infact, Audrey Hepburn was to become one of the icons of the modern, indipendent woman.
Tessa and Scott’s program is all about Joe’s personality, that could actually mean, Tessa’s personality. (: I think that she loves the movie so much because she identifies in Joe, as she’s both fond for books and education but also very interested in fashion. In other words, she is stunning and feminine but also very smart, just like Audrey in the movie...and in real life (:
Maybe the fact that the real meaning of the movie is not very clear, is due to the fact that, as a film maker, Stanley Donen was always more ironic than committed. His masterpiece, "Singing in the rain", is exactly the same: it's much more serious than it appears. But compared to Funny Face, it has definitely a bigger quality. (:

pani
04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
It was posted in the From Russia with Love thread that Riazanova-Tkachenko are heading to the S/Z camp for a short summer session, followed by more visits in the future? It's certainly a... cozy... training base. Seriously, how do they juggle it all?! I'm looking for any S/Z autobio or tell all book in the future, guaranteed a page turner.

R-T said they will be in Canton untill 10 June, V-M during this time will be in CSOI and will have vacation.

And its so funny, when fans googling all day and night and try found all bad words about V-M place at WCh :D This really good sourse - person who could put now W-P over V-M :) The next step - will find post, where someone will say V-M must take 10th pkace.
Its funny game, yes.

pani
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
I have a gut feeling that Tessa has been doing some choreo for them, based solely on the fact that she choreographed Fedor's programs several years ago when he tried to make a come back in singles, and they were dating at the time (now recyled to Meryl). I'm not sure that she choreo'd both his programs, but I know she did at least one of them.

Anyone who says they are not good actors (Scott in particular) has got blinders on, or else they are just spewing sour grapes. IMO he is the BEST of the whole bunch and is getting better all the time. He really does have a very expressive face and uses it. They are both masters of capturing an "attitude".

I have imprssion, she made some choreo in Mahler, Latin FD and FF. I dont talk about all dance, but maybe some dancing at one place parts. :D

Rafter
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
lol I know martyross. Have you guys seen this picture (http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/576364_10151558753635121_437001465120_24072380_168 4370612_n.jpg)? They look so good! I wonder when it was taken?

ETA: Also the cover of International Figure Skating Magazine (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560714_10150987079392538_278550292537_13375492_152 3269852_n.jpg)

The first picture is an absolutely gorgeous one of Tessa and Scott. I wonder if they're being sponsored by Lindt now?

Every day this week I've logged on hoping to see some news release that V&M have changed coaches. Wishful thinking, I know. :lol:

Rafter
04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
What I would love next year is for V/M and D/W to pick similar music so we could really compare apples to apples :) While I trust their plan, and suspect they will have very different programs again, it would be interesting to see! (And I have a hunch which team would appear stronger :)

I doubt Marina would ever do that as it would really highlight some of D&Ws flaws. They are best skating to a program that is fast, busy and frantic as it really helps to hide some of their weaknesses. Ie. Lack of toe point like in this picture:
http://photography.ice-dance.com/2011-12/2012WTT/Dance/FD/12WTT-FD-1306-DW-RR.jpg.php

Rafter
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
The blogger is no expert. He(she) claims to be a long-time figure skating follower but appears to be biased. It's sad that others will read his opinion and will treat it as fact. But we can't control that. So let's enjoy T/S skating and all the wonderful things that real ice dance experts and their peers say about them.

That blogger sounds particularly pro-USA and is just bitter that the American team didn't win. If you watch D&W's FD without the music, you get a different idea about the actual skating.

As for V&M, Funny Face was my least favourite FD from them and the music and overall theme had a lot to do with it. Now that Tessa's got Audrey out of her system, I really hope they pick better music.

Rafter
04-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I just looked on Scott's facebook page and he has responded to a Japanese fan who thanked him to coming to Japan: "Thank you for having me. Japan is a favorite place of mine. Take care." Doing a little damage control? ;)

pani
04-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I just looked on Scott's facebook page and he has responded to a Japanese fan who thanked him to coming to Japan: "Thank you for having me. Japan is a favorite place of mine. Take care." Doing a little damage control? ;)

Why he couldnt love Japan, but hate event? :lol:
This message from him made my chance to see them at CoR less :D