PDA

View Full Version : Is fandom based strictly on skating?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

yaya124
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I need the following factors to be a fan:

1) the skating must move me, even if some of the movements are not perfect;

2) warm personality on and off ice. I can appreciate a skater with great skills but will never be a fan if something he/she does off-ice is not acceptable based on my own standard;

3) good looking definitely adds bonus point:D

centerpt1
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM

2) warm personality on and off ice. I can appreciate a skater with great skills but will never be a fan if something he/she does off-ice is not acceptable based on my own standard;

3) good looking definitely adds bonus point:D

The same- but replace #3 (good looking) with #3 attractive use of personality on social media

flipforsynchro
08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
No, based on skating Michal would be little to me. I love him because of his 3A, edges, and looks. And catchy music choices.

While on the other hand I love John Curry 100% because of his skating.

Skater91
08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
For me, It is not just based on skating. Some skaters I have met that have been nice and friendly I tend to enjoy watching them skate more.
One particular skater that I have met, I used to like watching her skate till I met her in person. The way she acted was very rude and seem stuck up over some of her achievements. Now I don't like watching her skate and in a way I sort of feel bad because I don't want her to skate well any more to bring her back down to earth.

icenut84
08-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Interesting topic. For me, it seems to differ depending on the skater! Some skaters grab me instantly the first time I see them skate, some I love because I love their skills or their style, some I love because I think they're goofy/funny and have a great personality on the ice, some because they are truly great dancers etc. I also like people who really go for it and put their all into a performance, even if they're lower ranked.

One of my big favourites is Takahashi, mainly because I love his artistry, his dance ability and his expression. (Being gorgeous is a bonus.) He has the ability to skate to a piece of music I've never really liked (Blues for Klook) and make me love it, which IMO says a lot about a skater! His facial expressions during his best performances and the energy he puts into it, his quirky style, his unusual music choices - I love him. I always loved Stephane for the same reason - I love the way he moves and the quality of his programmes - he always had the transitions and choreographic content without looking like he was just point-getting.

Re: Patrick Chan, in all honesty he turned me off right from the start when he hadn't really achieved anything yet but was going around criticising people like Joubert (who was reigning WC) and making out like he was better than all the old champions. He just came across as so full of himself, it made me really dislike him. Then you had people describing him as the ultimate best skater EVAH and I just couldn't see it. I can appreciate his skating skills but his persona and his constant over-marking make me not like him that much. It's a shame because I probably wouldn't mind him so much if it was a level playing field (never in a million years should he have beaten Takahashi in the LP at 2012 worlds) - I actually quite liked his Take 5 SP. But in all honesty, it's not even just his persona why he's not my favourite - I prefer voidier skaters/programmes. His are a bit too safe IMO.

But then again, people criticise Plushenko for perceived arrogance too and I love Plushenko :) I saw him live for the first time at Euros this year and his aura, presence and ability to connect to the audience are really something to behold. I'd always heard about him having that quality but it is so tangible live IMO. I'm a fan of several of the other skaters who competed but in all honesty Plushenko just came across as being in a different league. Plus, I have major respect for not only his achievements but the way that he has got back to near his best after so much time away and so many injuries, and the fact that he is still trying to improve too (he didn't get enough credit for that IMO). His obvious love for the sport and perseverence/longevity are to be admired. And his LP at 2005 Euros is one of my favourite performances ever, because he just gave it 300%. I wish he'd skated like that at the 2006 Olympics.

Among the other men, I also like Fernandez a lot, and I love the goofiness and humour of Contesti and Preaubert. Skating programmes shouldn't all have to be serious and 'beautiful' - the guy from Monaco at Euros skated to Jungle Book and the audience loved it :)

Totmianina & Marinin are an interesting one too. I didn't like them at first (too cold and clinical, not enough spark) but they grew on me every season, even though they were never the type to show their emotions too much during a performance.

With the dancers, I definitely prefer voidy over 'we're so in love'-type programmes. But I can't stand the OTT facial expressions/theatrical O faces/scrunched up foreheads if they occur before the performance has even started - to me it comes across as pretentious and fake. I like innovators and those with real artistic sides (which is very different to just having good presentation).

On the whole, off-ice personality is less important to me than on-ice style and charisma, but obviously if I love someone's skating and they are a dude off-ice too, I may love them even more :)

Shyjosie
08-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Fandom for me is based more on how a skater moves me than how a skater impresses me.

If fandom was only for the skating, I'd go for other skaters than I actually do admire. In fact, to make me a fan, I must feel something special. Their skating must be interesting (rather than clean), exciting to look at (rather than love-story-ish), their appearances must be attention-drawing (rather than purely pretty). Plus, I go for those who struggle rather than for the all time winners. I try to read and watch as many interviews as possible and when a skater is honest and nice, I like them.

On the other hand, some of the greatest of the great - Torvill/Dean, Plushenko most of all - will always have my respect for their outstanding achievement in skating, but I've never been a real fan because I don't like their personalities.

paskatefan
08-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Fandom for me is based more on how a skater moves me than how a skater impresses me.

If fandom was only for the skating, I'd go for other skaters than I actually do admire. In fact, to make me a fan, I must feel something special. Their skating must be interesting (rather than clean), exciting to look at (rather than love-story-ish), their appearances must be attention-drawing (rather than purely pretty). Plus, I go for those who struggle rather than for the all time winners. I try to read and watch as many interviews as possible and when a skater is honest and nice, I like them.

On the other hand, some of the greatest of the great will always have my respect for their outstanding achievement in skating, but I've never been a real fan because I don't like their personalities.

These criteria basically sum it up for me.