PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #9

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

floskate
04-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Carry on :)

bek
04-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Komova had a minor clean up surgery for her ankle. She actually looks great IMO has clearly gained some muscle etc. I think Mustafina looks good. Alexandrov and others are doing a very good job IMO peaking them.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Alexandrov and others are doing a very good job IMO peaking them.

I agree.

I like the way the team is gradually adding difficulty and that the gymnasts are actually getting to rest and heal their injuries instead of being pushed back too early. Mustafina was still trying to come back maybe a bit too soon, but I put that on her stubborness rather than the coaches.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Okay, so Komova's UB D score at the tri meet was 6.7 and that was only doing a full for her dismount.

When she turns it into a double double what will that make her D score? Does anyone know enough about the code to figure that out?

BigB08822
04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
I would imagine it would up her D score by 2 tenths? So 6.9 I don't know for sure but it has to be in the 2 or 3 tenth extra range. I don't think it would be worth it for only 1 tenth more.

She needs to take out that absolutely ridiculous half turn before her dismount. Talk about begging for a deduction on a skill that doesn't even count in your D score. If she misses handstand or over shoots it will be anywhere from .1 to a disaster of a deduction and a simple restructuring of her routine could avoid this totally.

gracefulswan
04-23-2012, 02:09 AM
I don't know...I feel time is going by quickly and Mustafina is just able to get it together finally. The good news is that she is competing on all 4 events now and still managing to win so that must mean something. Komova might be able to peak perfectly but then again, she didn't do any floor or vault so it could be extra caution on her coaches part or it could mean something more serious. There's about 3 months left....

If they both peak nicely we could see a battle for all-around gold between these Russians like we saw between the Americans 4 years ago. Exciting and I hope they both will be healthy enough to fight for it.

Karpenko
04-23-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm kind of disappointed that Komova still has that pointless half pirouette into her bars dismount. It looks so throw in and I didn't like it last year, this year I'll have a really hard time rooting for her to win UB again with that in her routine (Even with a double double dismount). Go Beth and Aliya! (and Gabby?) :cheer:

Her beam work is bar none the best in the world though IMO, I would love to see Komova as Olympic BB Champion.

BigB08822
04-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I thought FOR SURE that they would give her a new routine this year (not totally new, just restructure to avoid the half turn) to avoid that darn half pirouette. I can't believe it is still in there.

Ponor on beam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFkgufpyM0A

She is so darn solid on this event, always has been. That switch ring is ugly, though.

Fridge_Break
04-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Wonderful acro elements in Ponor's routine.. SO nice to see someone still doing an Onodi! They've really become rare this quad, I don't recall seeing too many routines that include them. It's a nice change, and she connects it to her series, which is an added bonus.

Scintillation
04-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Holy shiz I have so much to catch up on. I know Ponor's acro elements on beam are not the prettiest, but I love how freaking fierce she is when she's up there. Can't stand her tumbling on floor though. Ugh.
'

Karpenko
04-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Here is Dasha Joura's new floor routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b27ETq0n8k

It's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like she dyed her hair a bit to match her leotard? :lol: :respec:

I think the 2nd and 4th passes are going to be different, but I've gotta say... I love it. :cheer2: I wasn't expecting her to look this good, hopefully she keeps it up all the way to a surprise London FX final berth. :)

Ponor looks better on beam but every leap she did was gross IMO. Those knees those knees those knees. I don't want her to repeat as Olympic BB champ when we have gymnasts like Komova and Sui Lu on beam competing. She's solid, good rhythm, but there are better beam workers. I won't even get started on the floor. She has great qualities as far as her presence, but her form still just isn't there and I can't forgive it like maybe Mustafina who does all the events. I wouldn't mind a medal on beam for her I guess but in no way do I want that routine to win. I'd prefer her team mate Iordache winning beam if it goes to a Romanian.

millyskate
04-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Ponor :respec:
She rules.

Braulio
04-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Ponor´s beam is almost the same since 2004, I can see the same poses and ´choreo´ moves and arm movements. Though steady and solid but I would like her to present a different artistic moves

Scintillation
04-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Asking a Romanian to mature artistically is like asking the Pope to convert to Judaism.

With the exception of Ana Porgras.

Domshabfan
04-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Asking a Romanian to mature artistically is like asking the Pope to convert to Judaism.

With the exception of Ana Porgras.

At least it is not truck driver artistry. I always find it amazing the level of criticism leveled on Romanian, chinese and Russian athletes for lack of artistry. Yet their is no mention of completely bland routine with no sense of style that American (usa) gymnast chern out. Look at the head banging routines from Kyla Ross, Douglas, scary Raisman and Maroney. Only athlete with good floor is wieber. Everyone else is :scream: